The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

maybe not by the book

At my most recent game, my partner crawled all over me for letting a "non-speaking" player come to me and ask a valid question. He was polite so I politely answered him. I thought I was just being courtious. My partner at halftme told me to only answer questions from the "speaking captain". I thought what I did was better game management for the situation at hand. The question the kid asked was "Do we get the ball on the baseline and can we run?" I pointed to the spot and said "You can run". Not a big deal. (I thought) I would like some input. Thanks.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 05:13pm
Courageous When Prudent

I see no problem with what you did. How did your partner approach you about the situation?
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 05:17pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblanton
At my most recent game, my partner crawled all over me for letting a "non-speaking" player come to me and ask a valid question. He was polite so I politely answered him. I thought I was just being courtious. My partner at halftme told me to only answer questions from the "speaking captain". I thought what I did was better game management for the situation at hand. The question the kid asked was "Do we get the ball on the baseline and can we run?" I pointed to the spot and said "You can run". Not a big deal. (I thought) I would like some input. Thanks.
Your partner is an OOO.

You done good.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Your partner is an OOO.

You done good.
Okay, I'll bite. What's that?

Agree that your partner's being overly sensitive. Player is well within their rights to clarify what type of throw-in it is, just like it's okay to ask how many free throws it is and where the ball is being taken out of bounds.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just say thanks to his feedback and ignore it. The guy clearly has no clue. Answer this question EVERY time it is asked. Answer any polite and respectful question from any player regardless of who the captain is.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=DC_Ref12]Okay, I'll bite. What's that?

Overly officious official.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 06:40pm
M.A.S.H.

I've got no problem with it. I would have done exactly the same thing. Way to be...
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 07:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Would your partner answer this question from a coach?

Let me guess, this partner has a reputation of being "unapproachable."

Good grief.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 08:40pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Bad call by your P. You did good.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What were you to do? Completely ingore him and look like an A-HOLE.

Tell him to go get the "speaking captain" so he can ask the question.

The speaking captain is needed to relay "official" information to the coach or other players and visa-versa, anything else is completely acceptable.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 09:02pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
The question the kid asked was "Do we get the ball on the baseline and can we run?" I pointed to the spot and said "You can run". Not a big deal. (I thought) I would like some input. Thanks.
Works for me.
I would have answered the player and "waved/swept" the endline so that both teams knew.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 09:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

I have no problem listening to players that are not the "speaking captain" but I will not spend a lot to time answering questions every time there is a situation either. I think there is a good balance that can be achieved.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 09:31pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I have no problem listening to players that are not the "speaking captain" but I will not spend a lot to time answering questions every time there is a situation either. I think there is a good balance that can be achieved.

Peace
Rut,
If some kid comes off the bench and walks up to you with those big, clear, bright eyes and asks you, Mr. Official, Sir ....?
Yer answerin' him.
Old Tue Apr 24, 2007, 12:10am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Rut,
If some kid comes off the bench and walks up to you with those big, clear, bright eyes and asks you, Mr. Official, Sir ....?
Yer answerin' him.
That always sounds great, but it is very rare if ever a player says "Sir" or comes to you without having an attitude of some kind.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 24, 2007, 12:40am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Usually, when I've been approached by a player, it's very respectful. I can usually see some frustration, but it's always respectful. Must be a regional thing.