The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 09, 2007, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Dave,

Great questions and it sounds like you may come up with other good questions in the future. If you want to get the maximum amount of answers and discussions on all of your scenarios then I would suggest posting each question in a seperate thread. It gets very confusing for us to sort through which answers go to which questions.

By the way, Welcome to the forum!
Old Mon Apr 09, 2007, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Actually, "stopping on contact" is the criteria that the FED wants us to use to judge whether a foul should be called vs. incidental contact on blind screens. The person being screened is expected to stop on contact with the screener. If they don't stop and try to push through the screen, a foul should be called on the player being screened.

The relevant rules language used is NFHS rule 10-6-3--"A player who is screened within his/her visual field is expected to avoid contact by going around the screener. In case of screens outside the visual field, the opponent may make inadvertent contact with the screener and if the opponent is running rapidly, the contact may be severe. Such a case is to be ruled as incidental contact provided the opponent stops or attempts to stop on contact and moves around the screen, and provided the screener is not displaced if he/she has the ball."
"stop on contact" without the "or attempt to stop on contact" changes the meaning. My effort was to convey the allowance of not being able to stop on contact. I do think "...stop or attempt to stop..." is an improvement on both my definition and simply "stop on contact".