The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   OJ Mayo dunk and apparent ejection (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/33349-oj-mayo-dunk-apparent-ejection.html)

Junker Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:23pm

OJ Mayo dunk and apparent ejection

I just got this link off the Sport's Guy. If it's already been posted just ignore it. I think he was tossed after throwing the ball into the stands. I don't know how he will be able to coexsist with Tim Floyd, that is unless Floyd changed alot while he was in the pros. I know while at ISU one of his players pointed at a camera following a dunk and on his weekly television show Floyd assured the audience that the point was, "dealt with in practice."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RKoXNToOnk

WhistlesAndStripes Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:31pm

First time I've seen the vid. I've gotta say I like the way the official so calmly walked over to the table and reported the T through all the hoopla.

Bad Zebra Mon Apr 02, 2007 01:49pm

OJ looked classless and self-centered with that stunt. He'll make a perfect NBA player. Maybe he should skip college.

Mountaineer Mon Apr 02, 2007 02:02pm

First of all, he can't skip college - rule change - he has to be one year removed from high school before he enters the NBA draft.

Second, David Bowles is the official and he's great. I worked with him this past year and he's very smooth. He called a T on the losing coach in the same game. The coach called a time out, which David granted, and then said something that warranted a T. David blew his whistle for the T, walked past the coach like he did in this video and as he walked past him said, "30 or 60 coach?" Very classy!

Third, OJ was not ejected. I was actually at the game on press row. This happened with about a minute left in the state championship game and there was a sub waiting at the table. They were up about 30 points and this was his "exclaimation point" on his high school career. He told one of our broadcasting crew that he was throwing the ball to his dad. Before you say, oh sure - his dad actually got the ball.

WhistlesAndStripes Mon Apr 02, 2007 02:51pm

His dad may have ended up with the ball, but OJ was hardly the one that threw it to him. That ball hit the roof before it came close to anyone in the crowd touching it.

Junker Mon Apr 02, 2007 02:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountaineer
First of all, he can't skip college - rule change - he has to be one year removed from high school before he enters the NBA draft.

Second, David Bowles is the official and he's great. I worked with him this past year and he's very smooth. He called a T on the losing coach in the same game. The coach called a time out, which David granted, and then said something that warranted a T. David blew his whistle for the T, walked past the coach like he did in this video and as he walked past him said, "30 or 60 coach?" Very classy!

Third, OJ was not ejected. I was actually at the game on press row. This happened with about a minute left in the state championship game and there was a sub waiting at the table. They were up about 30 points and this was his "exclaimation point" on his high school career. He told one of our broadcasting crew that he was throwing the ball to his dad. Before you say, oh sure - his dad actually got the ball.

My bad. The article I took the video from they said he was ejected. I think he should have been tossed. I don't care who he's throwing the ball to, he needs to go.

Mwanr1 Mon Apr 02, 2007 03:25pm

this kid seems like a punk!

bgtg19 Mon Apr 02, 2007 03:40pm

Quote:

This happened with about a minute left in the state championship game and there was a sub waiting at the table. They were up about 30 points and this was his "exclaimation [sic] point" on his high school career.

Up 30 with a minute to play and coach still has Mayo in the game? (And it's not like the sub was waiting at the table for a long time waiting for a chance to check in - that video begins with a throw in.) Teammates jumping all over him and hugging him after that "display"? It may be connected to a school, but there does not appear to be much education going on with that basketball program/team.

Mwanr1 Mon Apr 02, 2007 03:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgtg19
Up 30 with a minute to play and coach still has Mayo in the game? (And it's not like the sub was waiting at the table for a long time waiting for a chance to check in - that video begins with a throw in.) Teammates jumping all over him and hugging him after that "display"? It may be connected to a school, but there does not appear to be much education going on with that basketball program/team.

The school does not care about his education. The only thing they care about is winning with this kid. I strongly believe he's there strictly for basketball only. The sad thing is that his parents, teachers, school and himself knew that all along.

Mountaineer Mon Apr 02, 2007 03:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
His dad may have ended up with the ball, but OJ was hardly the one that threw it to him. That ball hit the roof before it came close to anyone in the crowd touching it.

Well not really hit the roof - it didn't even make it high as the second level. As strong as the kid is, I don't think he could hit the roof with a ball. I know it's WV, but the coliseum does seat over 12,000 - there was just a little over 10,000 in attendance.

And you guys can blast the kid and the school - Lord knows I have, but remember he IS a kid. And show me a high school with that much talent on it from a little place like Huntington, WV. Every kid on that team was born and raised in Huntington. OJ moved away but came back, Bill Walker at Kansas St. was supposed to be in that class too and someone said there's a kid in Mississippi that moved away when he was in 8th that is going to a major D1 next year too. Teams like Oak Hill recruit for their talent - Huntington just got "lucky".

I think he's going to have difficulty next year too, but you cannot deny his talent.

Mark Dexter Mon Apr 02, 2007 04:39pm

Quote:

He told one of our broadcasting crew that he was throwing the ball to his dad. Before you say, oh sure - his dad actually got the ball.

In Mayo's defense - after seeing the video that SportsGuy linked to, you could at least tell that he was throwing the ball into a section of his team's fans.

Even still, I think I'd lean very heavily towards the flagrant T in this situation - no matter to or at whom the ball was thrown.

jontheref Mon Apr 02, 2007 05:10pm

I just saw the several vids on this OJ Mayo guy. Never saw any of it before. Wow. Just imagine...whereever he goes to college, who Ts him up first....or better yet, can you see a Bobby Knight or a Coach K put up with that act much? Wow thats all I can say.

Adam Mon Apr 02, 2007 06:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jontheref
I just saw the several vids on this OJ Mayo guy. Never saw any of it before. Wow. Just imagine...whereever he goes to college, who Ts him up first....or better yet, can you see a Bobby Knight or a Coach K put up with that act much? Wow thats all I can say.

I'll be extremely surprised to see Tim Floyd put up with it. He'll have to either check his attitude or he'll get to know the waterboy pretty well. I don't see him sticking around USC too long.

Jurassic Referee Mon Apr 02, 2007 06:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I'll be extremely surprised to see Tim Floyd put up with it. He'll have to either check his attitude or he'll get to know the waterboy pretty well. I don't see him sticking around USC too long.

At USC? The home of Reggie Bush? LOL.......:D

USC will put up with him as long as he produces.

It ain't a question of <b>if</b> Mayo is getting something under the table there. It's a question of <b>how much</b> he's getting.

Do you believe in the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy too, Snaqs? Maybe even that Old School is actually a referee?

26 Year Gap Mon Apr 02, 2007 07:17pm

Haven't I seen this thread before?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QWKdokcvM7A

Haven't I seen this thread before?