The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

charity pin {MLB, sorry}

This might be buried in that 39 page off-topic baseball thread, but in a sport's context in general, I think the MLB's decision to forbid Biggio from continuing to wear a charity pin on his cap is a poor decision. The following article sums it up well:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/s...d.3ae353b.html

A snippet of the article:
Quote:
Instead of making a spring-training allowance for players to sport a pin for their favorite, approved charity on a specific area of a cap, baseball's brand police acted quickly to force Biggio to remove a logo for the Sunshine Kids Foundation for young cancer patients.
A missed opportunity for some goodwill, imo - especially since the article points out he has worn the pin for the past two decades.

What motivated this to be addressed?
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 01:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Would you like it if someone wanted to support a charity or an issue that you do not agree with? In my opinion this is not the place for that kind of expression.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Would you like it if someone wanted to support a charity or an issue that you do not agree with? In my opinion this is not the place for that kind of expression.

Peace
I agree. Nobody should be allowed to show any kind of support for any charity that somebody else might find offensive. We should get congress to ban the wearing of all pins on hats. If that won't work, maybe we should just ban the wearing of hats.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
I agree. Nobody should be allowed to show any kind of support for any charity that somebody else might find offensive. We should get congress to ban the wearing of all pins on hats. If that won't work, maybe we should just ban the wearing of hats.
If you ban hat's they will wear it on their shirts and if you ban shirts, they will wear it on their pants. then you would have to ban pants,

and then we would have nudity
which is probably better than anarchy
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

this would be a perfect time to run over to the baseball page and mess with them over a completely inane rule and tell them how stupid it is!
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 01:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

So if I wore something that had a political edge to it, that would be OK? What about the Dufar crisis? What about PETA? What about something associated with the war in Iraq?

Where and when does it stop?

Peace
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 01:26pm
In Memoriam

Stupid monkeys.....
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 01:29pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
So if I wore something that had a political edge to it, that would be OK? What about the Dufar crisis? What about PETA? What about something associated with the war in Iraq?
What about a Livestrong bracelet on a basketball player?

Just thought that I'd throw that in.......
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 01:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Where and when does it stop?

Peace
Does it really have to stop anywhere? Sure, MLB has the right to do this, as would each individual team. I just don't see how it's helpful.
Celebrities are always taking up causes that aren't exactly universally supported.
This is for kids with cancer. Is there really anyone who's backing cancer in this fight?
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF
If you ban hat's they will wear it on their shirts and if you ban shirts, they will wear it on their pants. then you would have to ban pants,

and then we would have nudity
which is probably better than anarchy
It would certainly be more interesting than anarchy.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
This is for kids with cancer. Is there really anyone who's backing cancer in this fight?
One glimmer of acceptance of this as a valid topic... so on the whole, this is not a well received post!
It was striking to me because of what I highlighted and underlined in the OP, but whatever.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm skeptical - surely there's someone who likes cancer?

Anyway, I'm sure it's not the issue of this particular charity. It's the issue of where to draw the line, and who gets to make that decision. So, instead of someone having to approve what is allowed, and what isn't (a full-time position, with a part-time staffer needed...), they just say none at all. Makes it a lot simpler.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 01:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Does it really have to stop anywhere? Sure, MLB has the right to do this, as would each individual team. I just don't see how it's helpful.
Celebrities are always taking up causes that aren't exactly universally supported.
Celebrities are doing so in their personal lives. Major League Baseball players are employees of a team and a league. This is no different than the NFL or NBA which does not allow personal expression on their uniforms or the players will be fined. Not only am I not surprised by the ruling, it should be expected. I know as an official I cannot wear personal expressions of charity or other political statements. That would be considered unprofessional. This is not about the specific charity, but the over all expression of such things and following a standard. If any player wants to support a charity, they have plenty of opportunities to do so. They do not need to put something on their uniform to show support for a charity.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

Stupid monkeys.....
Awww...these monkeys are actually cute.

Because of that, maybe we should advertise and get more of these cute ones on the forum?

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 01:45pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
It's the issue of where to draw the line, and who gets to make that decision. So, instead of someone having to approve what is allowed, and what isn't (a full-time position, with a part-time staffer needed...), they just say none at all. Makes it a lot simpler.
You are wise beyond your years.

Except for that Cubs thingy......

Note that this isn't a problem for NCAA and NFHS sports. You just ain't gonna wear anything unless the rulesmakers have specifically OK'd it.