The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Backing in (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/33130-backing.html)

rainmaker Tue Mar 27, 2007 04:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkjenning
... of course, the TV view is not the same as the official's view but I was perplexed at what the defender could possibly have done wrong?

I"m not sure about the play you're referring to, but I do know that often the camera angle is 90% of the problem for us couch-view officials. Many times, when they show the same play from a different angle on replay, it's very, very clear what happened, or what the ref saw.

With regard to the OP, I think the answer is that the defender is usually giving ground. I don't understand why they do that. But it seems clear that unless the defender holds his ground, there isn't gonna be a call. It's gotta be a pretty clear shove or arm.

socalreff Tue Mar 27, 2007 05:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkjenning
...foggy... not sure of what game is was but could have been Florida... anyway, the defender fouled out on what appeared to be exactly what you describe... of course, the TV view is not the same as the official's view but I was perplexed at what the defender could possibly have done wrong? Anyone else remember that and can help me understand what would turn that play into a foul on the defender?

That was the Florida game where the poor defender got run over by Horford. In the last 5 minutes of that game (with Butler), he made no effort to go around or over his defender. He could have easily had 3 PC's in that stretch. If you notice on the video after each of those plays, he was flexing his arms as if to say, "I'm going through you and there's nothing you can do because the officials aren't calling it."

socalreff Tue Mar 27, 2007 05:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker
I"m not sure about the play you're referring to, but I do know that often the camera angle is 90% of the problem for us couch-view officials. Many times, when they show the same play from a different angle on replay, it's very, very clear what happened, or what the ref saw.

With regard to the OP, I think the answer is that the defender is usually giving ground. I don't understand why they do that. But it seems clear that unless the defender holds his ground, there isn't gonna be a call. It's gotta be a pretty clear shove or arm.

I'm wondering why the defender is not on equal footing with the offensive player? If the offense goes through a defender's space, it's a foul. If a defender goes through the offensive player's space, it's a foul. The 2 should not be looked at differently, even though they clearly are by the majority of officials.

Mark Padgett Tue Mar 27, 2007 09:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker
Actually, when Padgett's not around (and OS and a couple of other trolls) our percentages go way up. Even Padgett has his uses, though. He's great at fashion shows, if there are fishnets in use.

Juulie - I just got some new ones. They're orange and glow in the dark! :eek:

Now - wasn't that a useful answer?

bellnier Wed Mar 28, 2007 07:21am

Thanks everyone...your responses were very usefulll.