The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 25, 2007, 04:59pm
Huck Finn

Some things I've noticed during the tournament

What have you noticed this year during the tournament?

1. Many officials are pointing after making a call. It isn't like a birddog (thank God), but just a point after the hammer is dropped pointing at the player that the foul is called on.
2. Many officials are routinely giving double tweets for fouls. My friend in the Pac-10 used to do this and it was noticeable. Now, many officials are doing it.
3. If I was drawing up a defense for Tyler Hansborough, I would let him shoot any jumper he wants to take. I would also tell my players to not swing at him once he gets the ball down low. He wants contact, he needs contact and he cannot shoot anything but a layup very well. I think he should stay in school or he should have left last year.
4. The higher seeded teams seem to play smarter down the stretch.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2007, 05:42pm
M.A.S.H.

1. I've noticed this too.

2. Noticed it all through the year. Seems to be the new thing I suppose. The games I caught here (Eastern Illinois), the OVC offiicials were doing it.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2007, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

The double tweet on fouls is driving me nuts. 1) There is no need for it on regular, common fouls. 2) Any camp I go to where there are D-I officials supervising, they almost always will criticize a double tweet AT ANY TIME unless it is completely needed to stop play, be heard over the crowd, get players' attention, etc.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2007, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

I've noticed the pointing too. When there were going to be FTs, it looked like they pointed to both the player that committed the foul and the shooter.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

1. I picked up this habit this year. Don't know why, but it works pretty well. I never did care for the bird dog.

2. I noticed it too. I hate it.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

I noticed the point as well. I'm also noticing that on shooting fouls the calling official insted of whistling and stopping the clock with the fist mechanic they are raising two fingers to indicate a shooting foul. I have seen this and I do this myself but after I stop the clock with the fist mechanic.

btw my friends think I'm a complete geek for noticing these kinds of things
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Paul Janssen has been doing that for years. Personally I don't think it looks too hot, but it obviously does not bother his assignors!