The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Announcers Said He Traveled (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/33035-announcers-said-he-traveled.html)

Big2Cat Fri Mar 23, 2007 08:44pm

Announcers Said He Traveled

The final shot in the Hoya game. I am so tired of these announcers who don't know the rule. They kep talking about how his left foot was the pivot foot and that as soon as he lifted it, he traveled. Why won't these networks just hire an official that knows the rules? Drives me crazy. It was mainly Seth Davis.

mick Fri Mar 23, 2007 09:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big2Cat
The final shot in the Hoya game. I am so tired of these announcers who don't know the rule. They kep talking about how his left foot was the pivot foot and that as soon as he lifted it, he traveled. Why won't these networks just hire an official that knows the rules? Drives me crazy. It was mainly Seth Davis.

If your's is the same play that I recall, I thought he may have lifted his pivot before he released the ball for his dribble.

tmp44 Fri Mar 23, 2007 09:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick
If your's is the same play that I recall, I thought he may have lifted his pivot before he released the ball for his dribble.

Mick,

No...they were saying that he lifted the pivot foot right before the shot and thus a travel

tmp44 Fri Mar 23, 2007 09:46pm

Quote:

Big2Cat,

Completely agree. As soon as they started saying that, I started yelling, cursing, and throwing soft objects at my TV.

RushmoreRef Fri Mar 23, 2007 09:48pm

Quote:

I saw this as well...

truerookie Fri Mar 23, 2007 09:51pm

IMO, his left foot was the pivot foot. Not only did he lift it; It was switch throughout the movement. He stepped and pivot on the right foot turning towards the lane lifting the left. Then, he stepped (with left) and pivot towards the baseline with the left resulting in the successful shot.

Big2Cat Fri Mar 23, 2007 09:53pm

Left was his pivot (this is all after he recoved the ball)....spun to the left, brought his right foot around, lifted his left foot in the air as he went to the right, then shot the ball before his left foot came back down.

(By the way, this part is from memory---I might have changed the feet by mistake, but you should get my drift)--Edit.

Big2Cat Fri Mar 23, 2007 09:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie
IMO, his left foot was the pivot foot. Not only did he lift it; It was switch throughout the movement. He stepped and pivot on the right foot turning towards the lane lifting the left. Then, he stepped (with left) and pivot towards the baseline with the left resulting in the successful shot.

Yes, he went to his right foot as he spun, but the left foot did not return to the floor before he shot the ball.

Big2Cat Fri Mar 23, 2007 09:59pm

Oh my goodness. They are talking about him changing his pivot and it should have been a walk at HALFTIME of the USC/UNC game. They still think it should be a walk when he lifted his pivot foot. I bet every basketball official in the country is beside himself (and to the PC out there, herself) right now.

LDUB Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:01pm

I saw the game live at a restaurant where the sound was muted so I missed the first round of live comments. But Gumble and his buddies just stated that it was "clearly a walk" during the halftime show of the late game. How long until the fanboys are debating this on YouTube?

jkjenning Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:05pm

Quote:

Oh my goodness. They are talking about him changing his pivot and it should have been a walk at HALFTIME of the USC/UNC game. They still think it should be a walk when he lifted his pivot foot.

Sad, no correct rules input in that amount of time?

Mark Dexter Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:27pm

Quote:

I know the real Mr. Grammar Guy doesn't come by much anymore, but could we take another look at this sentence?

CLH Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:01pm

This freaking ridiculous guys, the announcers are all idiots. I knocked over my water and spilt a bowl of ice cream on this one. GREAT play by the kid, GREAT no call by the officials. The reason its a no call is because there is NO CALL TO BE MADE. This is just driving me nuts. Travel my ***.:eek:

Johnny Ringo Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:46pm

During March Madness, CBS ought to do what NBC does with golf. The golf coverage always has David Fay available to explain a ruling at the U.S. Open. Why not have a retired official available on the set for this sort of thing???? It would help explain these sort of situations to all who watch on television that have no idea when it comes to the rules of the game.

ncaabbref Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:18am

It really favored the "up and under" move that the women use quite a bit that the fans always scream "walk" when i see it. But I think that he pushed off the right, stepped with the left and shot.....I am presently listening to the idiotic announcers on ESPN act like they are experts. once again, "ugly"="travel" in the minds of the uneducated, especially Doug Gottleib. That little snot nose pretty boy doesn't know crap....

jimpiano Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncaabbref
It really favored the "up and under" move that the women use quite a bit that the fans always scream "walk" when i see it. But I think that he pushed off the right, stepped with the left and shot.....I am presently listening to the idiotic announcers on ESPN act like they are experts. once again, "ugly"="travel" in the minds of the uneducated, especially Doug Gottleib. That little snot nose pretty boy doesn't know crap....

This is, of course, the downside of technology. We now have the capability to slow down, freeze, and replay forever and find a reason to overturn a call or bash an official. And officials are just as hard on other officials as fans are.

Case in point was the Oden foul in the Xavier game. None of the game announcers, sportswriters, or the Xavier coach made much more of the foul than what it was, a foul. Yet officials on this forum wanted an intentional foul called based, solely, on replays and youtube video.

No call or decision by an official can be judged in a vacuum. Instant replay in football does no one any good if the play has to be viewed ad nauseum until a decision can be reached. It serves only to slow the game down.

Whether there was travelling or not by Georgetown is a non issue since no official at the highest level of the NCAA would make that call based on a real time view. It is only controversial when it is slowed down and even then you have a debate.

As officials we need to advocate and educate the media on not only the rules but how we apply them, i/e what constitutes a block/charge call in basketball, what kind of tag in baseball always means an out, how is interference in football judged...etc.

CBS's example of the Georgetown travel was unfair to the crew working the game.....we need to make sure that kind of distortion is avoided in the future

TRef21 Sat Mar 24, 2007 01:07am

I thought it was a travel when I first saw it. On the replay i thought it was also, I would like to see it again though. Even if it was, in that situation would you call it? Just a thought...

Nevadaref Sat Mar 24, 2007 02:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRef21
I thought it was a travel when I first saw it. On the replay i thought it was also, I would like to see it again though. Even if it was, in that situation would you call it? Just a thought...

I taped the game because the Hoyas were playing. I have gone back and watched the play several times. Here are the facts:

1. Green loses the ball on the play so there is no pivot foot that matters until he recovers the ball.

2. Once he recovers the ball, he steps with his LEFT foot, thus his RIGHT foot is his pivot.

3. He now does a reverse pivot with his back to the basket by stepping with his left foot. He finishes the move by lifting his right foot, spinning towards the end line on his left foot, and without ever touching his right foot to the floor jumping off his left foot into the air and making a one-handed shot.

Since the pivot foot was lifted, but not returned to the floor before the ball was released on a try, there was no traveling violation. Good basket, the announcers know nothing, and Georgetown wins!

Nevadaref Sat Mar 24, 2007 02:48am

Quote:

That may be true. That was way up top near the three point line after he first received the pass. He slid his right foot a bit and then may have picked it up slightly before the dribble was released. It was close and is not a call that is made with that kind of precision the vast majority of the time.
So passing on that call is no big deal. Of course, that part of the play is not what all the announcers are talking about.

The part AFTER he lost the ball momentarily and then regained it is what is being deemed a travel. They are wrong.

WhistlesAndStripes Sat Mar 24, 2007 03:28am

CBS is just pissed that there are no "Cinderellas" left.

fullor30 Sat Mar 24, 2007 07:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
That may be true. That was way up top near the three point line after he first received the pass. He slid his right foot a bit and then may have picked it up slightly before the dribble was released. It was close and is not a call that is made with that kind of precision the vast majority of the time.
So passing on that call is no big deal. Of course, that part of the play is not what all the announcers are talking about.

The part AFTER he lost the ball momentarily and then regained it is what is being deemed a travel. They are wrong.

That's what I saw,only on the replay I might add. No way would that ever be called in that situation. It was really miniscule.

mplagrow Sat Mar 24, 2007 08:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimpiano

As officials we need to advocate and educate the media on not only the rules but how we apply them, i/e what constitutes a block/charge call in basketball, what kind of tag in baseball always means an out, how is interference in football judged...etc.

Wouldn't it be easier (and more gratifying) to just round them up and beat them with clubs?

This reminds me of a saying I heard this weekend. "The greatest instinct of man is to impart knowledge. The second greatest is to resist it."

I think what you are advocating would prove this true.

Mark Dexter Sat Mar 24, 2007 08:28am

Quote:

Even if it was, in that situation would you call it? Just a thought...

Absolutely would.

tomegun Sat Mar 24, 2007 08:58am

Quote:

Back to the rule book then back to as many games - to see plays - as possible. You should make the call if it is there, but you have to know if it is there first.

Big2Cat Sat Mar 24, 2007 09:44am

Quote:

Case in point was the Oden foul in the Xavier game. None of the game announcers, sportswriters, or the Xavier coach made much more of the foul than what it was, a foul. Yet officials on this forum wanted an intentional foul called based, solely, on replays and youtube video.

Not entirely true. I started the post immediately after he shoved the guy out of bounds and said that I probably would have called an intentional. I didn't watch a replay or Youtube before I posted. I never bashed the officials. However, I understand what you are saying--I wasn't where the official was...maybe he was straight-lined and didn't see it take place. Maybe he was looking elsewhere. Who knows? It was a quick play.

Coach Jinx Sat Mar 24, 2007 09:49am

Travel

I love GT & it was a travel! It was a travel if he was playing in the NBA! Patrick Ewing didn't walk that much when he played with the Knicks.

JRutledge Sat Mar 24, 2007 09:51am

Why did he travel coach? What did he do that was a travel? Do not just tell us he traveled, tell us why?

Peace

Dan_ref Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:15am

Quote:

Yes, I think that's what they are b1tching about.

When I saw the first replay from the L my immediate thought was he obviously travelled. Then they showed it from the other side and I saw he fumbled the ball as he shifted his feet. Great no call IMO. I didn't see anything else that was close to a travel in that sequence.

And then 10 minutes later the announcers concocted this 'contraversy' and we were off.

Stupid monkeys.

mplagrow Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach Jinx
I love GT & it was a travel! It was a travel if he was playing in the NBA! Patrick Ewing didn't walk that much when he played with the Knicks.

Thanks for that input. As a true coach has now told us, it's a travel if it looks like a travel.:rolleyes:

TRef21 Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:43pm

Quote:

I taped the game because the Hoyas were playing. I have gone back and watched the play several times. Here are the facts:

1. Green loses the ball on the play so there is no pivot foot that matters until he recovers the ball.

2. Once he recovers the ball, he steps with his LEFT foot, thus his RIGHT foot is his pivot.

3. He now does a reverse pivot with his back to the basket by stepping with his left foot. He finishes the move by lifting his right foot, spinning towards the end line on his left foot, and without ever touching his right foot to the floor jumping off his left foot into the air and making a one-handed shot.

Since the pivot foot was lifted, but not returned to the floor before the ball was released on a try, there was no traveling violation. Good basket, the announcers know nothing, and Georgetown wins!

So by they way you said no Travel. Thanks for clearing that up. I remember him losing control. Then I played it back in my head that the move he did, never allowed him to split the two guys around him. So I was like ok if he switched pivots we would have seen him split the two guys etc...

Jurassic Referee Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach Jinx

Stupid monkeys.

tmp44 Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:57pm

At one point last night, I think it may have been after the UNC game, CBS showed a replay where Green, before he did the legal move that we're all talking about (the pivot, push off, shoot move), as he started his pivot w/ his right foot, he lifted it up and put it back down.....and when I say lifted it up, they were zoomed in on it so that only the foot was on the screen (a la the Kentucky 3-pointer of last year). And yes, he did lift his pivot foot by about 1 inch and put it back down as he was doing the pivot move before he made the shot.

That being said, at live game speed, there is no way an official could have seen it. CBS slowed it down and zoomed in on ONLY the foot. If only we had it so easy.

sj Sat Mar 24, 2007 01:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmp44
At one point last night, I think it may have been after the UNC game, CBS showed a replay where Green, before he did the legal move that we're all talking about (the pivot, push off, shoot move), as he started his pivot w/ his right foot, he lifted it up and put it back down.....and when I say lifted it up, they were zoomed in on it so that only the foot was on the screen (a la the Kentucky 3-pointer of last year). And yes, he did lift his pivot foot by about 1 inch and put it back down as he was doing the pivot move before he made the shot.

That being said, at live game speed, there is no way an official could have seen it. CBS slowed it down and zoomed in on ONLY the foot. If only we had it so easy.

If you see it again look up on the bodies and you'll see some sort of contact which probably caused the foot to come off the floor. Good no call.

Adam Sat Mar 24, 2007 02:21pm

Quote:

Let it go.

Quote:

As officials we

???

BloggingRefGuy Sat Mar 24, 2007 06:55pm

New angle

Before the UCLA/Kansas Game, I saw an angle from under the basket. I only watched Green's pivot foot. I'm not certain, but I believe that at a point when he lifted his heel and had his toe on the ground, the defender may have kicked him in the bottom of the foot, causing the pivot foot to move.

If so, that's a great no-call.

Mountaineer Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:31pm

Did you see this?

Classy reply from the Vandy coach Kevin Stallings:

"I'm certainly not going to take away from the dignity of this game," Stallings said. "I haven't seen the replay. Don't care to. He made a great shot."

It's on page 2 of this article: http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=2978088

Nevadaref Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:43pm

Vandy whole program is first class. I always root for them to do well in the SEC.

The comments by the player and the coach do their institution proud. Sadly, the article is just another one by a sportswriter who has never seen a rules book.

"Replays seemed to suggest Green traveled by picking up his pivot foot. None of the three officials saw it that way." :rolleyes:

Nevadaref Sun Mar 25, 2007 04:22pm

CBS is clearly backtracking on the Green play. Someone even coached Billy Packer to state that it was clearly NOT a travel when the broadcast returned from the first media time-out in today's Georgetown/UNC game.

tjones1 Sun Mar 25, 2007 04:45pm

Clearly was written for him. I've noticed no one else is saying anything else about it now.

Corndog89 Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:39am

Quote:

That's exactly how I saw it. I'm a huge, life-long Vanderbilt fan, and as much as I wanted a travel to be called, there was no travel. I didn't think he traveled when watching it live, and I was sure he didn't when I saw the replay. In the end, Green made a great play. The defense was excellent...they trapped him, cut off any possible pass and forced him to take an off-balance, low-percentage, desperation shot. He probably misses that shot 3 out 4, maybe 4 out of 5 times. Hey, a money player made a money play...my hats off to him, the lousy $#@&(! ;)

IREFU2 Mon Mar 26, 2007 08:45am

Quote:

You can lift your pivot, it just cant be returned to the floor.

OHBBREF Mon Mar 26, 2007 09:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Stupid monkeys.

yeah what he said :cool:

Hoosier_Dave Mon Mar 26, 2007 09:53am

I call mostly grade school and a few Freshman games each year (yes, there are many of us out there too). I enjoy watching the officiating at D1 level. At my level, there's no way I could let the amount of contact I see in D1 go with no call. I didn't see travel, but the traveling I call at grade school level is usually blatantly obvious.

It's a great game at any level.

boiseball Mon Mar 26, 2007 02:16pm

if anyone cares anymore

in the insider stuff from jay bilas it appears that he attacks the people who said Green traveled; I do not have insider, just read the summary on espn: says something like, "to those who thought it was a travel, read the rules"

bellnier Mon Mar 26, 2007 02:26pm

We're all gettin' old and cranky. Years ago (well, MANY years ago for me) we might have turned announcer mistakes and stupidity into a drinking game....you know...every time we hear the announcers say "reach-in foul" or "over the back" or "that was a travel" we'd have to chug a beer....

OHBBREF Mon Mar 26, 2007 02:38pm

when did we stop doing that? :eek:

Can someone explain how I got home last night? :cool:

Rich Mon Mar 26, 2007 03:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by boiseball
in the insider stuff from jay bilas it appears that he attacks the people who said Green traveled; I do not have insider, just read the summary on espn: says something like, "to those who thought it was a travel, read the rules"

I'll post the relevant part:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Bilas
Take a Walk to the Rulebook: I was in San Jose for the West Regional, so I watched the Georgetown-Vanderbilt game in the East Regional from afar. When Jeff Green hit the game-winning shot for the Hoyas, I did not believe that he traveled. When I heard different commentators from the different networks say with a great degree of certainty that Green had walked and the officials had missed it, I disagreed.

What Green did was a legal move and is, in fact, taught by many coaches. Green did a simple step-through move that is used in up-and-under moves and in the use of a hook shot, and is legal. I went to the Rule Book, to Rule 4, Article 66, Section 4(a), which states that once a player establishes his pivot foot, the pivot foot may leave the floor as long as it is not brought back to the floor before the ball is released. Green established his right foot as his pivot foot, pivoted, and went up for the shot off his left foot. All of that was completely legal under the rules.

It may have looked like a traveling violation to some, but it was not. When such a move is called as a travel, most coaches argue to the officials that it was a missed call.

The only argument regarding a violation that has any merit, in my judgment, is the view that Green moved his right pivot foot well before he got into his move. However, that was only visible super close-up and in slow motion. It was nearly impossible to see in real time.

I have heard some say the officials couldn't call a walk in that situation because the players are supposed to decide the outcome of the game that late in the game. I disagree. If Green had walked and it was called, the players would have decided it. But Green did not walk. What he did was a legal move under the rules. Not everyone, including me, knows the rules as well as they perhaps should, but the officials generally do. I think they got it right in the Georgetown-Vanderbilt game.

Nevadaref Mon Mar 26, 2007 04:28pm

Jay Bilas:
"Not everyone, including me, knows the rules as well as they perhaps should, but the officials generally do. I think they got it right in the Georgetown-Vanderbilt game."

Jay has just been elevated to my #1 college basketball broadcaster!

http://www.runemasterstudios.com/gra...es/2thumbs.gif

popejohn2 Mon Mar 26, 2007 04:54pm

Green Stepped on Fosters Foot

someone email this to cbs.

Its over and dont know if its been mentioned already, but to preserve the greatness of Jeff's play, I think its worth mentioning. After going frame by frame reviewing the CBS 5x magnification of their feet, I noticed the following:

1. Jeff was pivoting to his right on the balls of his right foot, which is perfectly fine.

2. As he was doing so, Shan Foster slipped the front part of his left sneaker under Jeff's right heel which was uplifted.

3. When Jeff went to pivot back to the left (to make his ultimate shot), he shifted the weight on his right foot back onto his heel. But he stepped on Fosters sneaker, and this caused:
(i) Green had to move his right foot slightly forward as a result of stepping on Fosters foot and Foster yanking his foot away.
(ii) Foster to yanked up his left foot (a natural reaction everyone instinctually does when someone steps on your foot). If you look at the replay, if you didnt notice Jeff had just stepped on his foot, you would wonder why Foster would pick up his left foot so high off the floor and TO HIS RIGHT as Green was moving LEFT. The natural defensive reaction would have been for Foster to shuffle his left foot to the left along with Green. STEPPING ON FOSTERS FOOT IS WHAT GAVE JEFF THE OPENING BETWEEN FOSTER AND NELTNER. FOSTER WAS TOO LATE IN CLOSING THE GAP BECAUSE HE WAS MOVING IN THE WRONG DIRECTION AFTER GREEN STEPPED ON HIS FOOT.

So Green did not travel as it was Foster who put his foot under Jeffs and Fosters removal of it caused Jeff's to move forward. And Fosters instinctual reaction when his foot gets stepped on caused him to lose defensive position, and ultimately, the game.

Jurassic Referee Mon Mar 26, 2007 04:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by popejohn2
someone email this to cbs.

Its over and dont know if its been mentioned already, but to preserve the greatness of Jeff's play, I think its worth mentioning. After going frame by frame reviewing the CBS 5x magnification of their feet, I noticed the following:

1. Jeff was pivoting to his right on the balls of his right foot, which is perfectly fine.

2. As he was doing so, Shan Foster slipped the front part of his left sneaker under Jeff's right heel which was uplifted.

3. When Jeff went to pivot back to the left (to make his ultimate shot), he shifted the weight on his right foot back onto his heel. But he stepped on Fosters sneaker, and this caused:
(i) Green had to move his right foot slightly forward as a result of stepping on Fosters foot and Foster yanking his foot away.
(ii) Foster to yanked up his left foot (a natural reaction everyone instinctually does when someone steps on your foot). If you look at the replay, if you didnt notice Jeff had just stepped on his foot, you would wonder why Foster would pick up his left foot so high off the floor and TO HIS RIGHT as Green was moving LEFT. The natural defensive reaction would have been for Foster to shuffle his left foot to the left along with Green. STEPPING ON FOSTERS FOOT IS WHAT GAVE JEFF THE OPENING BETWEEN FOSTER AND NELTNER. FOSTER WAS TOO LATE IN CLOSING THE GAP BECAUSE HE WAS MOVING IN THE WRONG DIRECTION AFTER GREEN STEPPED ON HIS FOOT.

So Green did not travel as it was Foster who put his foot under Jeffs and Fosters removal of it caused Jeff's to move forward. And Fosters instinctual reaction when his foot gets stepped on caused him to lose defensive position, and ultimately, the game.

Love that funny hat you wear.....

hoops77 Mon Mar 26, 2007 06:49pm

How come nobody mentioned the call botched in the SIU-KU game? Julian Wright dunked the ball clearly after the buzzer but the officials still counted the goal. The before mentioned Jay Bilas even said that the ball was clearly still in his hand when the shot clock expired. It wasn't even a close call but it was blown.

Jurassic Referee Mon Mar 26, 2007 07:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoops77
How come nobody mentioned the call botched in the SIU-KU game?

Probably because nobody cares.....:)

hoops77 Mon Mar 26, 2007 07:16pm

You must not have watched the game cause Chris Lowery certainly cared. Dick Enberg & Jay Bilas also both agreed that the ball was still in his hand when the shot clock expired. The NCAA should care about obvious blown calls like that.

Jurassic Referee Mon Mar 26, 2007 07:21pm

Quote:

You must not have watched the game cause Chris Lowery certainly cared. Dick Enberg & Jay Bilas also both agreed that the ball was still in his hand when the shot clock expired. The NCAA should care about obvious blown calls like that.

Yes, they missed the call. Got news for you. There ain't an official in the world that hasn't missed a call sometime. Shiznit happens. No need to puff up like an indignant little toad because of it.

JRutledge Mon Mar 26, 2007 07:27pm

Quote:

I am sure it was addressed and dealt with. Just because we did not discuss it here, does not mean the play was not dissected.

Peace

bluenred Mon Mar 26, 2007 07:32pm

Quote:

How come nobody mentioned the call botched in the SIU-KU game? Julian Wright dunked the ball clearly after the buzzer but the officials still counted the goal. The before mentioned Jay Bilas even said that the ball was clearly still in his hand when the shot clock expired. It wasn't even a close call but it was blown.

Very good point. Hank Nichols could not have been happy at all. It would have been different if it was a bang bang call. But it was not even close. The 3 referees who blow that simple call should be left off the Final 4. I feel sorry for Southern Illinois. The outcome may have been different if not for the horrible mistake favoring the #1 seed. Kansas got several other breaks in that game. Cheap fouls were called on Southern Illinois on one end but they allowed Kansas to get away with fouls on the other end. It is very sad when the higher seeded team gets special treatment from the referees.

JRutledge Mon Mar 26, 2007 07:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluenred
Very good point. Hank Nichols could not have been happy at all. It would have been different if it was a bang bang call. But it was not even close. The 3 referees who blow that simple call should be left off the Final 4. I feel sorry for Southern Illinois. The outcome may have been different if not for the horrible mistake favoring the #1 seed. Kansas got several other breaks in that game. Cheap fouls were called on Southern Illinois on one end but they allowed Kansas to get away with fouls on the other end. It is very sad when the higher seeded team gets special treatment from the referees.

What happen to UNC?

Go away fanboy.

Peace

Adam Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluenred

Dang it guys, we've been caught. bluenred has outed our secret. There's a vast conspiracy of officials, CBS, and the NCAA, to prevent cinderella from getting into her rolling pumpkin. This group keeps secrets better than CIA operatives and FBI agents. Now, if you'll excuse me, the US Marshalls are here to take me to my hotel room. I can't say where it is, but it may or may not have a red roof.

What an idiot.

Nevadaref Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:28am

Yeah, they missed the call. Now, Mr. All-knowing Fanboy, do you want to tell me why the officials didn't consult the courtside monitor to review the play and see if there was indeed a shot clock violation? :p

Mark Dexter Tue Mar 27, 2007 07:14am

Quote:

Yeah, they missed the call. Now, Mr. All-knowing Fanboy, do you want to tell me why the officials didn't consult the courtside monitor to review the play and see if there was indeed a shot clock violation? :p

That one's easy:

Rule 2-5-3
The officials shall not use a courtside monitor or courtside videotape
for judgment calls such as:
e. Whether the ball was released before the sounding of the shot clock
horn.

Jimgolf Tue Mar 27, 2007 01:39pm

Quote:

"Replays seemed to suggest Green traveled by picking up his pivot foot. None of the three officials saw it that way." :rolleyes:

When you hear things like this, it makes you wonder if they think a jump shot is a travel. How can you take a jump shot without lifting your pivot foot, LOL?

NothinButAFan Fri Apr 06, 2007 03:00pm

I'm not a ref so found this site a valuable resource when looking into this topic; I'm one of those who was sure that what Green did was a travel, as did most of the people in my pickup game who I discussed it with.

I have an additional question. Green was pivoting on his right foot, planted his left, spun around it and elevated and shot. Let's say he was trying to gain a little more distance and instead of pivoting and stepping on his left, he jumped to his left. So the move was similar, but his right foot left the ground before his left one landed. Is this a travel? The NBA rule book says "If he alights with both feet, he must release the ball before either foot touches the floor", by which I think it would be interpreted as a travel; I'm not sure if there's a similar college rule, or if it's implied one way or another. (This came up in a pickup game yesterday when someone made a similar move.)

IREFU2 Fri Apr 06, 2007 03:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimgolf
When you hear things like this, it makes you wonder if they think a jump shot is a travel. How can you take a jump shot without lifting your pivot foot, LOL?

The travel occurs when you lift your pivot and put it down before releasing the ball.

JRutledge Fri Apr 06, 2007 03:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NothinButAFan
I have an additional question. Green was pivoting on his right foot, planted his left, spun around it and elevated and shot. Let's say he was trying to gain a little more distance and instead of pivoting and stepping on his left, he jumped to his left. So the move was similar, but his right foot left the ground before his left one landed. Is this a travel? The NBA rule book says "If he alights with both feet, he must release the ball before either foot touches the floor", by which I think it would be interpreted as a travel; I'm not sure if there's a similar college rule, or if it's implied one way or another. (This came up in a pickup game yesterday when someone made a similar move.)

First of all I have no idea (as most of us here do not know as well) what the NBA Rulebook says. Maybe someone can give you the NBA definition but I know I cannot at this time. I do not work any NBA games or games with NBA rules. I would only be guessing.

This play happen in a NCAA game which also shares the same rules of traveling as National Federation (High School to you) Rules do. It is always legal to lift a pivot foot to pass and shoot. This is what took place so it was not called. If a player puts back his pivot foot to the floor before he shoots or passes (after lifting it) then it would be a travel. Now since you are a fan I will not get into all the traveling as it relates to dribbling because that was not your question.

Peace

Adam Fri Apr 06, 2007 03:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NothinButAFan

Hmmm. As I read this, I'm picturing a layup.

"If he alights with both feet" most likely would refer to jumping off of both feet at the same time.