Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

3.1 to 2.0?

Can someone please explain it to me?
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

From what I saw, the ball was deflected off of the Memphis player, hit the court inbounds, then bounced up. The ball sailed through the air and wasn't out of bounds until it hit someone/something out of bounds a few rows back in the press area.

That said, I did hear a whistle blow before the ball touched anything out of bounds. Also, the angle CBS showed wasn't that great.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Ref12
Can someone please explain it to me?
The only thing I could see was the ball bounced inbounds first then went out of bounds..
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Just because ball breaks plane of out of bounds, it is not OOB until someone who is out of bounds touches it, or it lands on the court out of bounds. Therefore, the clock wouldn't stop till it hits the guy at the scorers table!!

A player can leave the court from being in bounds and save a ball that has crossed the plane.

Another instance of commentators NOT knowing the rules.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Not really but I can give it a shot. In normal time the trail blew his whistle before the ball actually went out of bounds. He blew it as sson as it bounced but it was not out. When they looked at the replay they discounted his whistle and went with when it should have been blown.
Crappy cause i love A&M and absolute hate Memphis.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
The problem that I have with this is that it appears they just made up the 2.0number. I don't see how they came up with definite knowledge that 1.1 seconds came off the clock. Did they play it in real time and use a stop watch? I don't think so, and even if they did, I don't think that is allowed by rule. As the announcers said, "they are just going to have to come up with a number." I think that is exactly what they did.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Right, so really the big decision was whether to go by the whistle or when the ball actually was out of bounds. Obviously the officials decided on the latter, but does anyone know what the rules say should happen when they go to the monitor?
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner
The problem that I have with this is that it appears they just made up the 2.0number. I don't see how they came up with definite knowledge that 1.1 seconds came off the clock. Did they play it in real time and use a stop watch? I don't think so, and even if they did, I don't think that is allowed by rule. As the announcers said, "they are just going to have to come up with a number." I think that is exactly what they did.
Actually you could see the official on the right with a stopwatch. CBS showed the highlight in real time twice (I think that's why it took so long, CBS kept showing it in slow-mo)
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzle
Right, so really the big decision was whether to go by the whistle or when the ball actually was out of bounds. Obviously the officials decided on the latter, but does anyone know what the rules say should happen when they go to the monitor?
I'm not sitting here with my rule book, but I know they can use the monitor to correct a timing error. The problem is without the clock running the monitor doesn't help determine what the number should have been (outside of using my stopwatch method from my above post).
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 09:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

I had no problem with the correction. I think without any other marker, the officials did the right thing. BTW, it appeared that they officials were using a stop watch to gauge the time. I cannot fault them at all for taking off a second.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have a problem necessarily how much time they took off, I'm no better a judge of that than anyone sitting courtside. I'm not sure how accurate a stopwatch would be though. I just feel that a stopwatch doesn't provide definite knowledge. It is certainly better than just making up a number as the announcers suggested, but in my opinion it doesn't qualify as definite.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I had no problem with the correction.
Except for the fact that the ball was whistled dead and the T was signaling A&M ball well before the ball actually hit OOBs - how do you ignore the signal and the whistle? I agree that the ball could have stayed in the air a full second.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

jkjenning makes an intersting point in regard to what type of error is this? Is it a timing mistake or an officials mistake in calling the ball OOB immediately. The only way they can use the monitor to correct this is if it is a timing mistake, but the more I replay it mentally, I think this is an official's mistake.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 09:24pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner
jkjenning makes an intersting point in regard to what type of error is this? Is it a timing mistake or an officials mistake in calling the ball OOB immediately. The only way they can use the monitor to correct this is if it is a timing mistake, but the more I replay it mentally, I think this is an official's mistake.
Howinthehell can it be an official's mistake if the timer never started the clock?

The clock should have started on the legal touching in-bounds by the Memphis player. It didn't. The officials corrected the timer's mistake. Period!
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 09:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjenning
Except for the fact that the ball was whistled dead and the T was signaling A&M ball well before the ball actually hit OOBs - how do you ignore the signal and the whistle? I agree that the ball could have stayed in the air a full second.
First of all I did not ignore anything. The ball hit in bounds and flew in the air. That took some time and a second is not unreasonable in my opinion. You can disagree, but that does not mean you are right.

Peace