The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Officials whose NCAA run is over (?)

Is my assumption correct by saying that anyone who worked last night in the NIT will not be working the Sweet 16/Elite 8 of the NCAA tournament?

If my assumption is correct the following officials, who were among the original 96, will not be among the 36 officials working this weekend:

Doug Shows, Bruce Hicks, Kelly Self, Gary Maxwell, Terry Wymer, and Michael Stephens.

Shows, Maxwell, and Wymer both worked 2 games this past weekend.

I'm beginning to think now that they can still work this weekend because I would be surprised if all six were not working this weekend because last year Wymer, Maxwell, and Hicks all worked the Sweet 16/Elite 8.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 08:52am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz
Is my assumption correct by saying that anyone who worked last night in the NIT will not be working the Sweet 16/Elite 8 of the NCAA tournament?

If my assumption is correct the following officials, who were among the original 96, will not be among the 36 officials working this weekend:

Doug Shows, Bruce Hicks, Kelly Self, Gary Maxwell, Terry Wymer, and Michael Stephens.

I'm beginning to think now that they can still work this weekend because I would be surprised if all six were not working this weekend because last year Wymer, Maxwell, and Hicks all worked the Sweet 16/Elite 8.
I believe there is some sort of time constraint concerning working another game 48 or 72 hours prior to an NCAA tourney game. Working last night would not jeopardize that constraint.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
I believe there is some sort of time constraint concerning working another game 48 or 72 hours prior to an NCAA tourney game. Working last night would not jeopardize that constraint.
For the National Championship or National Semi-Finals, you're not allowed to work any games for a period of five days prior to your assigned game.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Last Year...

I don't know how it will play out this year, but last year no officials worked an NCAA tournament game after being assigned to an NIT game. This was different from prior years, when several officials moved back and forth between the two tournaments.

Before last year, the NCAA had little control over who worked NIT games. Now that they own both tournaments, that is no longer the case.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
aces,

If your assumption is correct, then three Final Four officials from last year will not be working anymore NCAA tourney games this year because they worked NIT games tonight.

Tony Greene, Reggie Greenword, and Karl Hess all worked the Final Four last year and worked NIT games tonight.

Hopefully, this is not correct. Hess and Greenword both more then deserve a chance to work the National Championship game this year.

We will wait and see what happens and the games unfold.

I think though the following officials have a great shot at going to Atlanta---Zelton Steed, John Higgins, Reggie Greenwood, Karl Hess, Curtis Shaw, Mike Kitts, Ted Hillary, Dave Libbey, Verne Harris, Scott Thornley, and others as well.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
From the policy manual:

"No official will be assigned to work any session unless the official agrees to refrain from entering into any officiating commitment the day before the tournament game date. For the Final Four, each official will agree to not accept any officiating assignment within five days of the national semifinals for reasons of health and safety."
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
From the policy manual:

"No official will be assigned to work any session unless the official agrees to refrain from entering into any officiating commitment the day before the tournament game date. For the Final Four, each official will agree to not accept any officiating assignment within five days of the national semifinals for reasons of health and safety."
Nice to see the NCAA is so concerned about Health and Safety during championship weekend, but the hell with the rest of the season.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
Nice to see the NCAA is so concerned about Health and Safety during championship weekend, but the hell with the rest of the season.
Well, say what you want about refs working too many games during the regular season, but that's all assigned by the conferences, not the NCAA itself.
Old Wed Mar 21, 2007, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

I thought Tim Higgins worked the final four last year but I could be wrong? I know he worked the NIT Championship game last season between South Carolina and Michigan.
Old Wed Mar 21, 2007, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Well, say what you want about refs working too many games during the regular season, but that's all assigned by the conferences, not the NCAA itself.
I understand that, and I don't have a problem with it. The point I guess I was trying to make is, if the NCAA is really so concerned about the "health and safety of the officials" that they seem to be hiding behind here, they could step in and take over the regular season as well. I don't see that happening any time soon though.
Old Wed Mar 21, 2007, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
I understand that, and I don't have a problem with it. The point I guess I was trying to make is, if the NCAA is really so concerned about the "health and safety of the officials" that they seem to be hiding behind here, they could step in and take over the regular season as well. I don't see that happening any time soon though.
I don't think they're anymore concerned about the absolute health and safety of officials that work the final four than other guys. They're only concerned about the health and safety of the officials in the context of having to identify and contact qualified and available replacements. It's a big production and they don't want any surprises.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 181174
I thought Tim Higgins worked the final four last year but I could be wrong? I know he worked the NIT Championship game last season between South Carolina and Michigan.
Tim Higgins did not work the Final Four last year.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz

Doug Shows worked last night.