The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

SEC Officials

I apologize if you guys have read this. I just found it and thought I would share it.

http://www.gatorsports.com/apps/pbcs...RS02/703090311
Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefAHallic
I apologize if you guys have read this. I just found it and thought I would share it.

http://www.gatorsports.com/apps/pbcs...RS02/703090311

Interesting article. Thanks for posting.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

I'm shocked that the "magic number" is SEVEN. In HS ball, the most I've worked any one team during a season has been 3 games (the third one of which ended up being a disaster). Even in intramurals, I don't think I've ever seen a time more than 5 or 6 times a season.

Also, I'm wondering how they found out the amount of the officials' game checks. Is tht covered by FOIA in Florida, perhaps?
Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 09:26pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
I'm shocked that the "magic number" is SEVEN. In HS ball, the most I've worked any one team during a season has been 3 games (the third one of which ended up being a disaster). Even in intramurals, I don't think I've ever seen a time more than 5 or 6 times a season.

Also, I'm wondering how they found out the amount of the officials' game checks. Is tht covered by FOIA in Florida, perhaps?
I think the game fees are close to accurate, but the amount of games they talked about working was
Old Sat Mar 17, 2007, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
I think the game fees are close to accurate, but the amount of games they talked about working was
Tomegun...could you eleborate on what you mean? I'm just not getting what you're saying here...I'm probably being dense, but if you could help me out it would be appreciated.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2007, 08:36am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz
Tomegun...could you eleborate on what you mean? I'm just not getting what you're saying here...I'm probably being dense, but if you could help me out it would be appreciated.
The article mentioned Ted Valentine doing 70 games - or maybe it said more than 70 games. I think he does considerably more than that. Maybe not the 120 Welmer does, but more than 70.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2007, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The article mentioned Ted Valentine doing 70 games - or maybe it said more than 70 games. I think he does considerably more than that. Maybe not the 120 Welmer does, but more than 70.
Look at this. http://www.mapbuilder.net/users/UncleLar/35682 It appears he is at around 80 around March 10th.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Always getting that shot in on Welmer...I love it

Now I get what you're saying. Teddy V does do a ton of games, but I feel like he does fewer games than he used to. What conferences does he work now? Definitely SEC and ACC. Does he still do Big 10? I haven't seen him do any Big 12 or Big East games in the last few years.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 07:24am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz
Always getting that shot in on Welmer...I love it

Now I get what you're saying. Teddy V does do a ton of games, but I feel like he does fewer games than he used to. What conferences does he work now? Definitely SEC and ACC. Does he still do Big 10? I haven't seen him do any Big 12 or Big East games in the last few years.
That wasn't a shot on Welmer. If he can do 120 then do 120; that has nothing to do with his officiating (style?).

Teddy is in the Big 10. I'm not sure about the others.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 08:22am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
That wasn't a shot on Welmer. If he can do 120 then do 120; that has nothing to do with his officiating (style?).

Teddy is in the Big 10. I'm not sure about the others.
SEC & ACC definitely. He was also working games in the Southern Conference post-season tourney.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 12:00pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
SEC & ACC definitely. He was also working games in the Southern Conference post-season tourney.
Makes sense. He is an evaluator at Mr. Burch's camp so I wouldn't doubt him doing a couple games in the Southern Conference.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

re:

Whenever I see Welmer on tv I'm just amazed. There seems to be no shortage of conferences that he works - Big XII, Big 10, CUSA, Sunbelt - what else? How old is he?
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefAHallic
How old is he?
He is 51 years old.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muxbule
He is 51 years old.
Welmer graduated from high school (Columbus, In.) in 1968, and I don't think he was dominating in the post as a 12 year-old senior. He's around 57, give or take a year.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2007, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

JJ, thanks for correcting my error. I pulled it from an old article on Yahoo that I thought was current talking about how many games is too many for officials. With Bobby Knight making this an issue I assumed (bad thing always) I was reading from current material.
Closed Thread