The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

When does A6 become a player?

I have posted about this topic before, but the more discuss it with others, the more confused I get.

When does a player become bench personnel, and vice versa, when a time-out is involved? The question is relevant to assessing penalties for technical fouls and to determine whether a team memember who just left the game can legally substitute. Are there any other reasons it would matter?

1) While the clock is running, A6 reports to the table as a substitute. Then, a few seconds later, an official grants a time-out request. Could/should an official beckon A6 into the game at that time and make him/her a player? Or, is A6 only considered to be a player after he/she legally enters the court follwing the time-out? Or, some other time that I haven't thought of...?

2) Official grants a time-out request. Before the warning horn, A6 reports to the table as a substitute. Is there any way for A6 to become a player before he/she legally enters the court following the time-out? What if a subsequent time-out is granted before any players return to the court?
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Durkee
I have posted about this topic before, but the more discuss it with others, the more confused I get.
Until the FED clarifies, you're left with choosing whichever position makes more sense to you. We've discussed it ad nauseum and both sides have good points.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

I did not realize that there was some agreement that the rule is ambiguous. No wonder I am confused. Thank you for the reply.