The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 18, 2007, 07:38pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Ref12
Interesting. Do you think that Illinois player should have gotten T'ed up for the muscle flex he did after that dunk after that spin-move carry that wasn't called?
Whatintheheck has something that happened in an NCAA game got to do with an incident in a high school game? They're completely different rulesets.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2007, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Well I'd say he's no Jon Diebler
Old Sun Mar 18, 2007, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Whatintheheck has something that happened in an NCAA game got to do with an incident in a high school game? They're completely different rulesets.
I'm just wondering if the two might be comparable. I was kind of surprised the Illinois player wasn't called for something, but maybe what you're saying is that they're more lenient on showmanship in college?

Thanks.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2007, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
There is video of the incident. Here's a link to a local TV station that did sort of a highlight reel of the championship game. The play-in-question is at the end of course. On my computer the thing bogs down due to the buffering taking so long - hopefully you won't have the same gremlins that I have in my computer! Let me know what you think.

http://www.wsaz.com/sports/headlines/6555882.html

Click on the HHS wins AAA Title line . . . enjoy!

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Interesting. Do you think that Illinois player should have gotten T'ed up for the muscle flex he did after that dunk after that spin-move carry that wasn't called?
Didn't see the Illinois game, so I can't be sure.

That said, I think there's a big difference between a simple muscle flex (which, granted, could very well be taunting) and "circling the court" showing the 'three-peat' sign.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
There is video of the incident. Here's a link to a local TV station that did sort of a highlight reel of the championship game. The play-in-question is at the end of course. On my computer the thing bogs down due to the buffering taking so long - hopefully you won't have the same gremlins that I have in my computer! Let me know what you think.

http://www.wsaz.com/sports/headlines/6555882.html

Click on the HHS wins AAA Title line . . . enjoy!
Hard to say whether I'd call a flagrant or regular T on the throw into the stands - the damn cheerleader gets in the way right at the most important point.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Didn't see the Illinois game, so I can't be sure.

That said, I think there's a big difference between a simple muscle flex (which, granted, could very well be taunting) and "circling the court" showing the 'three-peat' sign.
Here it is, at about the :29 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t1ZzroeEeI

It looks a little less showy watching it over again, I think I was a bit influenced by the slow-mo replay I kept seeing over and over again on the highlights. Notice the borderline carry as he spins into the lane, as well.

Thoughts?
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Here it is, at about the :29 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t1ZzroeEeI

It looks a little less showy watching it over again, I think I was a bit influenced by the slow-mo replay I kept seeing over and over again on the highlights. Notice the borderline carry as he spins into the lane, as well.

Thoughts?
I think I'd just tell him to knock it off. While it's a bit showy, I don't think it's taunting or offensive, and there's certainly much worse out there that's not being called.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 05:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Derrick Rose is a class act.

On the flip side. The #2 ranked kid in the country played in the IHSA Boy's Championship and scored 2 points, had 9 assists and dominated the game by giving the ball to others to shine and did not score once from the field. He realized he was not hot and passed the ball to create opportunities, took a charge and many defensive plays. I do not think I have ever seen a player at the HS level only score 2 points (1 point by the beginning of the 4th Quarter) and completely dominated a game.

When it was clear that Simeon (Chicago) was going to their second Class AA Championship in back to back years, Rose was removed from the game and was given a standing ovation. Then he thanked the crowd by waving and hugged his teammates and fellow seniors. He was a class kid throught the tournament and dominated just about every game he played in.

Game Box Score

Peace