The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 29, 2001, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Thanks, Bob, for your reply:

But, you stated in NF rules every foul goes toward the bonus.
Therfore, wouldn't every player that got a flagrant technical foul have their fouls go toward the bonus...not just one per team as you stated?

Also, I thought if Team A had 2 players go on the court and Team b had 4 players go on the court...there would be a difference of 2 players...therfore 2 shots per player--4 technical foul shots? Am I correct?

Dude
Old Thu Nov 29, 2001, 05:46am
In Memoriam

Dude,each player off the bench gets a flagrant T,and all these T's count towards the bonus,or double bonus.Case Book 4-19-12 covers this.As for the shots,if the participants are unequal and fight,2 free throws are awarded for each additional player.I think the same is true if they come off the bench and don't fight.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2001, 06:08am
Official Forum Member

Thank you Jurassic...that's what I thought!
Old Thu Nov 29, 2001, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Dude,each player off the bench gets a flagrant T,and all these T's count towards the bonus,or double bonus.Case Book 4-19-12 covers this.As for the shots,if the participants are unequal and fight,2 free throws are awarded for each additional player.I think the same is true if they come off the bench and don't fight.
No -- the penalties if the players come off the bench and fight are different from the penalties if the players come off the bench and don't fight.

If the players come off the bench and fight, 10-4-1h applies -- each is charged with a flagrant T, ejected and the team foul total increased for each flagrant T. In our example, that's 4 for A and 2 for B. The head coach also gets an indirect for each of these -- so coach A is ejected and B remains (assuming he hasn't received / doesn't receive another T). Two throws are shot for each T that's not offset -- so B will get 4 throws.

If the players come off the bench and don't fight, 10-4-4 applies. Each player gets a flagrant and is ejected, but only one T is administered and charged indirectly to the head coach. Each team total increases by 1. Since the number of players doesn't offset, B will shoot the throws for 1 T (2 throws). This will happen whether A has 3, or 4, or 10 players off the bench (as long as they don't participate).
Old Thu Nov 29, 2001, 11:22am
In Memoriam

Bob,the casebook play I cited specifically refers to a penalty for 10-4-4,not 10-1h.I think you have to put all the T's in the book for bonus calculation if the players come on the floor and don't fight.On the 2nd part,I said "I think" because the wording in the book was a little vague to me.I'm not surprised at being corrected.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Nov 29th, 2001 at 10:28 AM]
Old Thu Nov 29, 2001, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Bob,the casebook play I cited specifically refers to a penalty for 10-4-4,not 10-1h.I think you have to put all the T's in the book for bonus calculation if the players come on the floor and don't fight.On the 2nd part,I said "I think" because the wording in the book was a little vague to me.I'm not surprised at being corrected.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Nov 29th, 2001 at 10:28 AM]
You are right -- in both cases (bench personnel fight, bench personnel don't fight) all the T's go to the team total. But, only 1 indirect is assessed the coach and a maximum of two throws are shot (assuming no other complications) if the bench personnel don't fight.

Thanks for the reference. It's now been a good day, since I learned something.