The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Had I not read it here...

...I would not have believed it could happen.

By my account, my first year of officiating basketball was very quiet. I did not have to issue any T’s to coaches. I officiated more than 30 sub-varsity high school games and by the end of the season felt I was getting better and more confident. I officiated 10 middle school tournament games and was thanked by many parents for doing a good job.
During one tournament, my partner and I received a strong round of applause when we were introduced before the second game. I was feeling like basketball is fun to officiate.

Then it happened….a 5th and 6th grade tournament. The four games I officiated were brutal. Kids dive, slap and run into each other all game long while parents and coaches scream at every call or non-call. They must truly believe their kids will be the next great basketball player. Every game lasted nearly 1-1/2 hours. My last game of the season was 5th and 6th grade girls quarter-final. Visiting team is better and winning the entire game. I had to ask visiting coach to keep his two assistants quiet early in the game. Visiting coach is on me all game for illegal screens. Admittedly, I probably missed or passed on calling some mostly because I wasn’t expecting screens and did have trouble spotting them this season in general. Late in the game I called a throw-in violation against visiting team and the coach comes to the table, in front of my partner, and screams at me as I was standing on the baseline. I decided he would get my first T. Told my partner to make sure he knows he has to sit. A minute later on another inbounds on the base line, V coach gets up and leaves the coaches box yelling something but not at me. I immediately assess a T for leaving his seat and the coaches box. Coach is done. Visitors win by at least 10.
At the end of the game, assistant coach approaches me, chest to chest but not overly threatening, to tell me I need to pick up my game. He said I made a spectacle of assessing the second T because the coach was cheering on his players and that my officiating was abhorrent. I told him to leave and not to talk to me. He wouldn’t. I couldn’t leave because the facility does not have an officials’ room so I was stuck and inside I wanted to kick his butt.
I felt I worked hard during the game. We called 25 fouls in the second half and the game took almost two hours to play. Nearly 45 fouls and countless violations were called during the game.
Now I can see why other officials dislike this level of play. The fans and coaches have lost site that this is just a game for little kids. I don’t second-guess myself on the T’s and don’t think I made a spectacle of it, although I was upset when I gave it. Would you have given the technicals? How on Earth does an official control games at this level? Apparently, calling more than 40 fouls is not enough. I found this level of basketball to be the most difficult to officiate all season and will probably pass if asked next year. Is there a camp for 5th and 6th grade games?
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Worked a rec 7th/8th grade tourney for a friend this weekend and had 3 "T's" in four games. I only had three all season until then. Hopefully the parents will figure it out that Junior won't be buying them a house with his signing bonus next year.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

If you're questioning yourself at all about the second T, don't. The coach lost his privilege of "coaching, cheering, etc." when he was assessed the 1st technical. It's even easier to assess the 2nd T when he left the coaching box to do it. Good job, and congrats on a good first year.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

It gets better every year. Believe me. in my 7th year now. These discussion boards help a lot.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Though it's not my favorite thing to do, I call a lot of 5th-8th grade rec ball. As a new official myself, I figure more time on the court is better than less time on the court. Some (ok, a few) of the games are enjoyable...the kids are learning, the parents cheer and the coaches coach their players.

But like anything, there are those who have to spoil the experience...kids who think they're superstars, parents who have no clue about the rules and coaches who think their job description includes "sideline officiating." Though I'm told you'll find far fewer of these less enjoyable games at the varsity level, they do exist and you might as well know how to handle them (and yourself) when you run up against one.

Pat yourself on the back for a good season! Look at the rec ball games as "pre-season" for next year. Give yourself an honest evaluation after each game about where you could improve and what you did well, but for cryin' out loud don't loose any sleep over them!
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp44
The coach lost his privilege of "coaching, cheering, etc." when he was assessed the 1st technical.
actually no he didn't, they lose the ability to stand and coach, but they do not lose the ability to spontaneously react to a great play etc. They can rise cheer and sit...Granted they can't leave the box, and I wasn't there, so I have no way to know if it was a good T or not. My gut tells me it was.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 02:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Spontaneous reaction to a great play doesn't mean coaching. I take "yelling something" after getting up and leaving the box to mean coaching. Spontaneous reaction is, as pretty much up and down. Think of it this way; would you allow a bench player to stand, walk out of the box, and yell something to his teammates? Nope. Coach knew what he was doing; well, at least he will next time.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

re read my post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Spontaneous reaction to a great play doesn't mean coaching. I take "yelling something" after getting up and leaving the box to mean coaching. Spontaneous reaction is, as pretty much up and down. Think of it this way; would you allow a bench player to stand, walk out of the box, and yell something to his teammates? Nope. Coach knew what he was doing; well, at least he will next time.
I know what spontaneous means. I said as much above...My point was that you don't lose the ability to cheer. I guess it didn't come across that way I also said I thought it was most likely a good T that I said quite plainly I might add
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 02:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews
I know what spontaneous means. I said as much above...My point was that you don't lose the ability to cheer. I guess it didn't come across that way I also said I thought it was most likely a good T that I said quite plainly I might add
Yes, you did. Didn't mean to step on your toes.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

no problemo :P
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Nice T. Did you assess a T on the assistant after the game? You are still in the visual confines from what your post said. At the very least, I would have let whomever is running the tournament know about the poor sportsmanship that team displayed. I had a similar situation with a coach complaining after a game in a tournment early in my career. I let the tournament administrators know and that team was not invited back the next year. Working those tournaments does stink, but they are good for working on mechanics and seeing a lot of strange plays. As you move up, sportsmanship is better as there are usually bigger consesquences for their actions. Have a great off season. Work when you can and go to a camp!
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

The assistant confronted me at the scorer's table where my bag and stuff was kept. I did not assess a T to the assistant but did report him and asked if he could be sanctioned for his conduct. I have thought afterwards if giving the assistant a T would have helped anything other than make me fell better. In fact, I asked for his name. At first he gave only his first name and I asked for his last as well. He wanted to know why and if I was afraid of being reported and he also wanted my name. I told him I wanted his name so I could get it correct in my report.

BTW, the coach went past the last chair on the bench to coach when I made the call. But based on the conduct and warnings, I didn't think much about the second T. It was almost an instantaneous reaction. Maybe next time I will pause slightly longer before giving it.

I did sign-up for a camp this summer. Do you think they cover techniques for calling 5th grade games? Should I ask questions about 5th grade officiating?

I just wished the season would have ended on a better note but now I know how far I can be pushed if and when it happens next season.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 03:01pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehcco
I don’t second-guess myself on the T’s and don’t think I made a spectacle of it, although I was upset when I gave it. Would you have given the technicals? Yes, I would have.
How on Earth does an official control games at this level? Apparently, calling more than 40 fouls is not enough. I found this level of basketball to be the most difficult to officiate all season and will probably pass if asked next year. Is there a camp for 5th and 6th grade games?
That's funny about the camp. Refereeing this level is like being a cop in the inner city. You got to bring your kick-butt, I ain't taking no sh!t from no one attitude. If not, you will get overran. Seriously, there is a way to handle this and you will not find it in the rulebook.

I can tell you what I do, but I will be honest, you must established your own threshold, and once that is crossed. I turn into Mr Hyde. Just kidding. But, the first thing I do in these type of games is to setup the benches where the coaches is clearly way away from the table. By doing this, you define there area, and the minute they get outside of that area, and they're complaining too, put them back in there. The reason this is so important is it gives you a reason to complain back at them, and it gets you out of the confrontation. For ex: coach is screaming at you about a travel or a trip or something you didn't call. Just say coach get back in the box and point to it! Don't say this but you are not acknowledging any complaints while they are out of the box. While they're returning to the box, you put the ball in play and continue on. You see how you just avoided a confrontation with the coach, and you sent the message you need to be in the box if you're going to say something to me. You're beginning to get control.

#2.) Stop the bad game and get both coaches together at the table, and let them know to coach there teams and not you. Tell them that the next time I hear somebody stay from anywhere on the bench, that's a travel, that's a foul, that will be a technical and it will get charged to you. This is your warning, you can coach your players but do not coach me. They will start to yack about this and that, and you just say, discussion over, you've both been warned. Tell the table to record in the book the time you issued the warning to both coaches.

Now, you're set the thresholds, you warned them, you're established control, all you need do now is follow-thru. If you eject someone, make them leave the gym. They can not hang around and watch there team finish the game. Hope this helps, and don't be afraid to take care of bizness after you issed the warnings.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
That's funny about the camp. Refereeing this level is like being a cop in the inner city. You got to bring your kick-butt, I ain't taking no sh!t from no one attitude. If not, you will get overran. Seriously, there is a way to handle this and you will not find it in the rulebook. .
shocked I tell ya just shocked that OS would say this....for the what 150th time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
I can tell you what I do, but I will be honest, you must established your own threshold, and once that is crossed. I turn into Mr Hyde. Just kidding. But, the first thing I do in these type of games is to setup the benches where the coaches is clearly way away from the table. By doing this, you define there area, and the minute they get outside of that area, and they're complaining too, put them back in there. The reason this is so important is it gives you a reason to complain back at them, and it gets you out of the confrontation. For ex: coach is screaming at you about a travel or a trip or something you didn't call. Just say coach get back in the box and point to it! Don't say this but you are not acknowledging any complaints while they are out of the box. While they're returning to the box, you put the ball in play and continue on. You see how you just avoided a confrontation with the coach, and you sent the message you need to be in the box if you're going to say something to me. You're beginning to get control.

#2.) Stop the bad game and get both coaches together at the table, and let them know to coach there teams and not you. Tell them that the next time I hear somebody stay from anywhere on the bench, that's a travel, that's a foul, that will be a technical and it will get charged to you. This is your warning, you can coach your players but do not coach me. They will start to yack about this and that, and you just say, discussion over, you've both been warned. Tell the table to record in the book the time you issued the warning to both coaches.

Now, you're set the thresholds, you warned them, you're established control, all you need do now is follow-thru. If you eject someone, make them leave the gym. They can not hang around and watch there team finish the game. Hope this helps, and don't be afraid to take care of bizness after you issed the warnings.
I seriously was LOL when I read this
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 03:27pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehcco
...I would not have believed it could happen.
Believe it!

Sometimes I find "wreck leagues" tougher to ref than F, MS, and JV's. Parents believe their kids will go straight from this league to a "full boat" college scholarship at a D1 school (just for one yr of course) and then to the NBA....and some of the coaches are absolutely dillusional!

This board and experience will serve you well in the future! Has for me and I'm a relative newbie compared to most here too.