The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 25, 2001, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Here's the sitch- Start of 3rd qtr, arrow pointing to A. I am at lead under A basket, partner at div line handling throw in. I hear whistle toot and here comes B with the ball completing a layup while A stands there. A1 picks up ball and I stop play. A check with partner confirms he gave ball to B at throw in. Is this Correctable by NF rule? We went to coaches and started play over in the blowout game, but I want to know correct procedure according to rule.
Old Sun Nov 25, 2001, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

There is no "do-over" in this situation. Once B's throw-in is touched on the court, the throw-in cannot be changed. (Make sure that A gets the arrow for the next AP, though).

B shooting into A's basket gives you two options:

(a) If players are lined up incorrectly (sounds to me like what happened here - B did go to where the lead was), count the points for B.

(b) If B1 is an idiot and goes opposite of everyone else, give the points to A.
Old Sun Nov 25, 2001, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

If the trail administered the throw-in by handing the ball to B1, then there's no way to correct the AP mistake. Score the points for B, turn the teams around and make sure that A gets the next AP possession.

However, if the trail placed the ball on the floor and B1 grabbed it and inbounded it, then this situation is correctable.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Nov 25, 2001, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

just to add... dont let partner give it to the wrong team. you should be able to see and blow whistle so you dont make the mistake in the first place
Old Sun Nov 25, 2001, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

BktBallref- We would score the two points for B? Even though on A's basket. We would then stop play and turn them around, using the a/p for A. Is this correct?
Old Sun Nov 25, 2001, 05:41pm
In Memoriam

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by ajloud
Here's the sitch- Start of 3rd qtr, arrow pointing to A. I am at lead under A basket, partner at div line handling throw in. I hear whistle toot and here comes B with the ball completing a layup while A stands there. A1 picks up ball and I stop play. A check with partner confirms he gave ball to B at throw in. Is this Correctable by NF rule? We went to coaches and started play over in the blowout game, but I want to know correct procedure according to rule.
aj,
Could it have been that B got the ball in their front court and then dribbled to their backcourt and scored?
Just askin'.
mick
Old Sun Nov 25, 2001, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Mick- My co-official pointed to A's basket said "B"s possession and gave it to B. B1 then threw in to B2 and away she goes scoring a layup on A's basket.
Old Sun Nov 25, 2001, 05:49pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Mick- My co-official pointed to A's basket said "B"s possession and gave it to B. B1 then threw in to B2 and away she goes scoring a layup on A's basket.
Yeah, that was clear. Thanks.
I was just wondering if the division line sneaked into play.
mick
Old Sun Nov 25, 2001, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
BktBallref- We would score the two points for B? Even though on A's basket. We would then stop play and turn them around, using the a/p for A. Is this correct?
Your partner mistakenly allowed the wrong team to take the ball and score in the wrong basket. This is an official's mistake. Score the points for B, turn the teams around and give A the ball under B's basket. A gets the AP arrow.

Old Sun Nov 25, 2001, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

personally i like what you did, though you missed a rule. i would start the third period over as well. i would tell the coaches i screwed up renew time on the clock and give the proper team the ball. exception, if more than one possession in the quarter occurred then i would not restart. this is only what i would do, and apologize if this irritates or angers any of you.
Old Sun Nov 25, 2001, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crew
personally i like what you did, though you missed a rule. i would start the third period over as well. i would tell the coaches i screwed up renew time on the clock and give the proper team the ball. exception, if more than one possession in the quarter occurred then i would not restart. this is only what i would do, and apologize if this irritates or angers any of you.
Isn't that the NBA rule? Something like if less than one shot clock period has elapsed, you can fix something?

Nice thought, but that's not what NFHS rules allow, unfortunately.
Old Sun Nov 25, 2001, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

i know it is a missed rule by nfhs rules but i would still miss it, knowingly!
Old Sun Nov 25, 2001, 10:06pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

However, if the trail placed the ball on the floor and B1 grabbed it and inbounded it, then this situation is correctable.
Try this - since the ball on the floor is at the disposal of team A, when B1 comes across the line to pick up the ball, call the delay warning for a boundary violation. In fact, you could make a case for the technical, since the throw in has started and B1 touched the ball while it was OOB. The rule does not specifically state that the ball must be in the inbounder's hands, only that an opponent of the thrower (who I would assume could be considered any eligible player on team A who could come and get the ball, not necessarily mean a player on A who actually is going to throw the ball in and has it in his hands), reaches across and dislodges (then it would have to be in someone's hands, I guess) or touches (then it wouldn't, I guess) the ball.

OK - I'm really stretching the letter of the rule and I don't think I would ever call it that way, but I did call a delay warning for a boundary violation today when A1 had the ball to inbound on the endline and B1 backed up OOB next to him because he thought it was their ball. I only did it because B1 just stood there and didn't realize he wasn't supposed to be there.
Old Sun Nov 25, 2001, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

Try this - since the ball on the floor is at the disposal of team A, when B1 comes across the line to pick up the ball, call the delay warning for a boundary violation. In fact, you could make a case for the technical, since the throw in has started and B1 touched the ball while it was OOB. The rule does not specifically state that the ball must be in the inbounder's hands, only that an opponent of the thrower (who I would assume could be considered any eligible player on team A who could come and get the ball, not necessarily mean a player on A who actually is going to throw the ball in and has it in his hands), reaches across and dislodges (then it would have to be in someone's hands, I guess) or touches (then it wouldn't, I guess) the ball.
The case book play states that if their is some confusion as to who's ball it is, then the ball should just be awarded to Team A, with no penalty against B. If B intentionally grabs the ball, it is a technical foul.

10.1.8 SITUATION: Immediately following a goal or free throw by Team A, or following a time-out in this situation, A1 inbounds the ball to A2 and A2 subsequently throws the ball through A's basket. Ruling: The following procedure has been adopted to handle this specific situation if it is recognized before the opponents gain control or before the next throw-in begins.
a. Charge Team A with a technical foul.
b. Cancel the field goal.
c. Cancel any common foul(s) committed and any nonflagrant foul against A2 in the act of shooting.
d. Put "consumed" time back on the clock.
Comment: If there is no doubt the throw-in was a result of confusion, especially after a time-out, the entire procedure would be followed except no technical foul would be charged. This procedure shall not be used in any other throw-in situation in which a mistake allows the wrong team to inbound the ball.