The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 25, 2001, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I was going through NASO's 2001-2002 basketball quiz (http://www.referee.com/quiz/basketball.html) and was doing fine until I came to question #16.

Basically, A1 goes for a layup and, while the ball is on the rim, A2 and B2 both simultaneously brush the net.

I got everything right - double BI, don't count the basket, AP throw-in, except answer e which states A2 and B2 have a double technical foul. Can anyone tell me where that came from and if it is correct or not?
Old Sun Nov 25, 2001, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

mark, elaborate on brushing the net. do they grab the net and pull or do they incidently touch the net during an attempt for a rebound?
Old Sun Nov 25, 2001, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crew
mark, elaborate on brushing the net. do they grab the net and pull or do they incidently touch the net during an attempt for a rebound?
All it says is that they touch it - no pulling down and it's not during a FT.
Old Sun Nov 25, 2001, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

seems like if this happens in a game situation the officials would be to technical on this situation. brushing the net (from my exp.) occurrs often. i would hope that people really dont call this play.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2001, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
I was going through NASO's 2001-2002 basketball quiz (http://www.referee.com/quiz/basketball.html) and was doing fine until I came to question #16.

Basically, A1 goes for a layup and, while the ball is on the rim, A2 and B2 both simultaneously brush the net.

I got everything right - double BI, don't count the basket, AP throw-in, except answer e which states A2 and B2 have a double technical foul. Can anyone tell me where that came from and if it is correct or not?
The question doesn't say "brushed" the net, it says "snagged" the net.

So, it's a double BI (9-11, penalty 4) and a double T (for grasping the basket when there is no possibility of injury (10-3-5) -- you need to read that into the question).
Old Mon Nov 26, 2001, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins

The question doesn't say "brushed" the net, it says "snagged" the net.

So, it's a double BI (9-11, penalty 4) and a double T (for grasping the basket when there is no possibility of injury (10-3-5) -- you need to read that into the question).
You get the technical even if it's incidental? I would think that would be a tough sell to the coaches - "He got a technical foul because his hand got caught in the net." Isn't the intent of the T to stop showboating?