The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 09:56am
Esteemed Participant

Juulie, the other thing that Camron Rust is assuming is that the only people frustrated by the PBOA system are the people who think they should be getting play-off games but aren't, or the ones who think they deserve something they don't...you know the people from PBOA that I associate with, and you know that they don't fit either of those stereotypes. The people who I have discussed the system with are people who ARE going to State tournaments and ARE doing championship games, and they don't like the system very much at all...
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Then why don't those people decline the assignments?? If they decline, it gives someone else a chance.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Juulie, the other thing that Camron Rust is assuming is that the only people frustrated by the PBOA system are the people who think they should be getting play-off games but aren't, or the ones who think they deserve something they don't...you know the people from PBOA that I associate with, and you know that they don't fit either of those stereotypes. The people who I have discussed the system with are people who ARE going to State tournaments and ARE doing championship games, and they don't like the system very much at all...
I do know of people doing tourneys and championship games that don't like the way things are. They think they should be in an even higher level tourney than they are or should be getting MORE of the big games that are being spread around. I've never heard anyone complain about getting too many big games.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 12:53pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
I do know of people doing tourneys and championship games that don't like the way things are. They think they should be in an even higher level tourney than they are or should be getting MORE of the big games that are being spread around. I've never heard anyone complain about getting too many big games.
They're not complaining about the games and they certainly are not going to complain to you. But they think the system stinks too, but are content where they are. This is consistent to what I have experienced as well.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 06:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

CT Tournament

In Connecticut, the coaches "vote" in the state tournament officials. Believe it or not, they always select the best officials to do their games. Just to give you full disclosure, I did not get selected this year, but I've been to six or seven games over the past three weeks to watch my colleagues work, and they are considered to be the best officials on our board, by their ratings, of which 80% is based on ratings from their fellow officials. The "cream seems to rise to the top". Both coaches and officals seem to agree on who the best officials are. I know that it's hard to believe, but it's true. There's not a single official on the tournament list who would get a "Why is he or she on the tournament list?" from me.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
I don't quite consider the NAIA DI but you made your point. You had to go back to 2002 to get it, but the point is, it has happen. Thanks for sharing. However, I could be wrong, I don't think a woman worked an NCAA major DI men's game this season or last.
You didn't say D-1 in your original post. This is the 1,257th time you have been wrong.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
In Connecticut, the coaches "vote" in the state tournament officials. Believe it or not, they always select the best officials to do their games. Just to give you full disclosure, I did not get selected this year, but I've been to six or seven games over the past three weeks to watch my colleagues work, and they are considered to be the best officials on our board, by their ratings, of which 80% is based on ratings from their fellow officials. The "cream seems to rise to the top". Both coaches and officals seem to agree on who the best officials are. I know that it's hard to believe, but it's true. There's not a single official on the tournament list who would get a "Why is he or she on the tournament list?" from me.
It ain't that way in northern VA.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 08:24am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblref
You didn't say D-1 in your original post. This is the 1,257th time you have been wrong.
What are you talking about now? Another hater in the forum...you really need to get out more. Now, is it possible, you have something of value to share on the topic of discussion? If not, do us all a favor and quite hating on your fellow referee's so much. Oh, and one more thing, by this time next year, I'm sure I will have made 1,275 more mistakes, by your standards of course.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 01:11pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

Quote:
What are you talking about now? Another hater in the forum...you really need to get out more. Now, is it possible, you have something of value to share on the topic of discussion? If not, do us all a favor and quite hating on your fellow referee's so much. Oh, and one more thing, by this time next year, I'm sure I will have made 1,275 more mistakes, by your standards of course.
You need only 1274 now, since you put an apostrophe in "referee's".
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 01:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
You misspelled intramural. I'm just saying....
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In Connecticut, the coaches "vote" in the state tournament officials. Believe it or not, they always select the best officials to do their games.
Billy, ummm, sorry to bother you. But you've got something on your nose.

Quote:
There's not a single official on the tournament list who would get a "Why is he or she on the tournament list?" from me.
This is absolutely not the same as "the best officials." Well, unless the officials who worked the tourney are the only officials that you wouldn't question. But I'm pretty sure if you looked around, there are other officials in your group who could have worked the tourney also without raising any eyebrows.

I think that's kind of rainmaker's point too: If there are x number of officials from a group who would be widely considered a good choice for working the tourney, why are only a fraction of that group ever given the chance?
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nope, my post had the intended result. You made several mistakes in posting your (you would have said "you're") reply. Have a nice day.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 01:47am
Esteemed Forum Member

From BillyMac: "There's not a single official on the tournament list who would get a "Why is he or she on the tournament list?" from me."

From Back In the Saddle: "This is absolutely not the same as "the best officials." Well, unless the officials who worked the tourney are the only officials that you wouldn't question. But I'm pretty sure if you looked around, there are other officials in your group who could have worked the tourney also without raising any eyebrows."

True, but there are only a limited number of spots to be filled. In Connecticut, only about 60% of the teams make the single elimination state tournament, thus decreasing the number of officials that need to work. The point that I was trying to make was, that in our system, those who make it seem to deserve it, i.e the coaches ratings and our peer ratings seem to agree. You are right in that there are other officials who don't make it who may not be better than those that do make it, but are certainly as good as those who do make it.

There's probably more than a correlation here, maybe a cause and effect. Those who are considered the best by our peer ratings get the most games, thus getting the most exposure, and thus getting a chance to get votes by the coaches. In other words, work a lot of games, improve your chances of getting selected by the coaches.

I can't explain in fully, but here we get very little "grumbling" about who makes or doesn't make the state tournament. We spend most of our time "grumbling" about our own peer rating system.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Mar 15, 2007 at 01:55am.