The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

A tip of the cap

To the forum:

Last year at this time, I had asked the forum if I had deserved some technicals. I received a lot of advice. Some more stern than I would have wanted.

Anyway, a year later. No T's during the season. In fact, not much of a wayward comment. Thanks for the input.

This year we have come across a lot of officials. They have all been excellent representatives of the game. Have we agreed with all calls? Nope. Can't, we have different viewpoints and different angles.

Last year, you helped me with the proper time and place to address officials. It has definitely made for a more enjoyable experience for me and the girls(8th grade).

A couple of items of exellent officiating.

We're pressing. Other team brings the ball up with one girl dancing in front of our girl who is trying to get to the dribbler. Uninformed coach (me), asking for a moving screen. During the next deadball, the official moves from the parents side to ours and explains "..no contact no foul." The story of our year, not aggressive enough and a coach that is still learning.

End of the game. Ball out of bounds under our opponents basket, they are down by 1 with 12 seconds left. We change our defense, confuse the other team and their in-bounds passer moves her feet (3 or 4 steps) to try and throw the ball in. I am begging for a travel. Girl throws the ball away. We get the ball and run out the the clock. The official comes up later and says they missed the travel. This gives me an opportunity to discuss with our team that they put themselves in position to win, and overcame a mistake by the officials to win. I also remind them, that we had ample opportunity (free throws, missed layups, defensive lapses those things we control) to separate ourselves from the team so that this one call wouldn't have mattered.

Finally, my interaction with the officials and my team during the year has changed a great deal from last year. I don't think it would have had it not been for this forum.

Thanks to your contribution to this forum and the sport we all love.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker John
End of the game. Ball out of bounds under our opponents basket, they are down by 1 with 12 seconds left. We change our defense, confuse the other team and their in-bounds passer moves her feet (3 or 4 steps) to try and throw the ball in. I am begging for a travel. Girl throws the ball away. We get the ball and run out the the clock. The official comes up later and says they missed the travel. This gives me an opportunity to discuss with our team that they put themselves in position to win, and overcame a mistake by the officials to win. I also remind them, that we had ample opportunity (free throws, missed layups, defensive lapses those things we control) to separate ourselves from the team so that this one call wouldn't have mattered.
Actually, there is no such thing as a travel during an inbounds pass.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 01:24pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Ball out of bounds under our opponents basket, they are down by 1 with 12 seconds left. We change our defense, confuse the other team and their in-bounds passer moves her feet (3 or 4 steps) to try and throw the ball in. I am begging for a travel.
John, I'm very glad to hear that your interaction with us in cyberspace helped with your interactions with referees in the real world this year.

I'm also glad that you're still willing to learn, because as has already been pointed out, the travel rule and the dribbling rule do not apply to throw-in situations. A player can move her feet as much she wants, as long as she stays out of bounds and keeps one of her feet over the 3-foot wide designated spot.

Don't feel too bad about not knowing that, though, since the official on your game didn't know it either.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Always learning

As she took her steps, she was definitely outside of a 3 foot area. If this is what the official was refering to, would this have been a traveling call?
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

it's just a violation. No traveling.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As she took her steps, she was definitely outside of a 3 foot area. If this is what the official was refering to, would this have been a traveling call?
No. It would be a throw-in violation.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

One other thing to note here. You say that it is an out of bounds play under your opponents basket. Are they attempting a throw-in after your team just scored, because if that is the case, the player can run along the entire endline during the throw-in with no violation.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
One other thing to note here. You say that it is an out of bounds play under your opponents basket. Are they attempting a throw-in after your team just scored, because if that is the case, the player can run along the entire endline during the throw-in with no violation.
The opponents were inbounding under the opponent's basket. A team can never (legally) run the endline when it is inbounding under its own basket.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 02:44pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Nobut....
Too often, refs use the traveling signal when calling this, even if they know and apply the correct rule. The problem with using this signal is the coaches who think the thrower has to keep her pivot foot down.
I should have T'd an AAU coach a couple years ago for pressing this argument too far. I was standing next to him, so I thought I could talk to him about the call he was pleading for. As soon as it turned into a "yes he can, no he can't" discussion, I stopped it and we played on.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
The opponents were inbounding under the opponent's basket. A team can never (legally) run the endline when it is inbounding under its own basket.
The opponent's basket is the one they are defending. Therefore, you always inbound under your own basket after you give up a score to the other team.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Husker John,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us. We're happy we were able to help. Best of luck to you in the seasons to come.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The opponent's basket is the one they are defending. Therefore, you always inbound under your own basket after you give up a score to the other team.
You might want to check out 4-5-1.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 03:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Not in NFHS. A team shoots at their own basket.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Wrong ace. This ain't football.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

I stand corrected.