View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

A tip of the cap

To the forum:

Last year at this time, I had asked the forum if I had deserved some technicals. I received a lot of advice. Some more stern than I would have wanted.

Anyway, a year later. No T's during the season. In fact, not much of a wayward comment. Thanks for the input.

This year we have come across a lot of officials. They have all been excellent representatives of the game. Have we agreed with all calls? Nope. Can't, we have different viewpoints and different angles.

Last year, you helped me with the proper time and place to address officials. It has definitely made for a more enjoyable experience for me and the girls(8th grade).

A couple of items of exellent officiating.

We're pressing. Other team brings the ball up with one girl dancing in front of our girl who is trying to get to the dribbler. Uninformed coach (me), asking for a moving screen. During the next deadball, the official moves from the parents side to ours and explains "..no contact no foul." The story of our year, not aggressive enough and a coach that is still learning.

End of the game. Ball out of bounds under our opponents basket, they are down by 1 with 12 seconds left. We change our defense, confuse the other team and their in-bounds passer moves her feet (3 or 4 steps) to try and throw the ball in. I am begging for a travel. Girl throws the ball away. We get the ball and run out the the clock. The official comes up later and says they missed the travel. This gives me an opportunity to discuss with our team that they put themselves in position to win, and overcame a mistake by the officials to win. I also remind them, that we had ample opportunity (free throws, missed layups, defensive lapses those things we control) to separate ourselves from the team so that this one call wouldn't have mattered.

Finally, my interaction with the officials and my team during the year has changed a great deal from last year. I don't think it would have had it not been for this forum.

Thanks to your contribution to this forum and the sport we all love.