The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Glasses

got a question for you guys. i did a girls varsity private school tourney this past weekend, during one game a girl who is wearing glasses, not rec-specs, plain ole wire rimmed glasses gets them knocked of in big time traffic. knowing that many of these players are from low income families and that glasses are expensive, i blow my whistle and allow her to get them off the floor. i know i probably shouldn't have but I did. becuase i stopped play, i make her leave the game and I tell the coach she needs to put a strap on them, i seriously thought I had read that in one of the officiating books. coach goes nuts, but so many whistles in that game the girls is back in the game in no more than 2 minutes. my partner tells me at a break that it is not a rule, and we decide to tell the coach, i was mistaken, but if it keeps happening, we'll T the girl up for delay of game. so, any thoughts?
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 09:41pm
certified Hot Mom tester

See NF 3-5-1. If you feel the glasses are "dangerous" to other players, you can prohibit her from playing with them on.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

There are clear references to players wearing glasses in the NFHS rules. I believe that it would be wrong for an official to declare that normal glasses pose a danger and try to prohibit a player from wearing them during a contest.

5-11-3 exception a
"No time-out is charged:
a. If, in 5-8-3, the player's request results from displaced eyeglasses or lens."

3.5 Situation A
"There are three criteria which determine the legality of equipment. First, any equipment which, in the judgment of the referee, is dangerous to others."
"The second standard provides that “any equipment which is unnatural and designed to increase the player's height or reach, or to gain an advantage, shall not be used.”"
"The third criterion provides that equipment used must be appropriate for basketball and not be confusing."

"Eyeglass protectors are considered appropriate equipment for basketball provided they meet the qualifications for legal equipment, including the third criterion."

Last edited by Nevadaref; Wed Mar 07, 2007 at 09:52pm.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

I'd never give a T for somebody's glasses falling off. Tell the girl to get 'em taped on before you do that.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 09:52pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
See NF 3-5-1. If you feel the glasses are "dangerous" to other players, you can prohibit her from playing with them on.

Mark:

How do you apply NFHS R3-S5-A1 to this situation? It has nothing to do with eye glasses.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Is it dangerous for an official to wear glasses while working an NFHS game?
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Rec. specs and straps aren't exactly trendy, but since when has NFHS been concerned about whether or not what the kids are wearing is fashionable. I can see a situation in which a kid losing her glasses and another player stepping on the lens(es) and their feet come out from under them. It's not likely, but it's certainly more likely than the same thing happening if a bobby pin fell out of a player's hair. Isn't this why bobby pins and clips are forbidden? It is kind of hard to believe that there isn't a NFHS rule that specifically addresses glasses.

Regardless of whether or not the NFHS thinks it an important issue, the ultimate responsibility rests with the parents and coaches. My daughter wore rec specs while playing basketball, she didn't exactly like it, but she wore em. (And now we have some great ammunition ... errr, I mean pictures to show people)

Last edited by jmaellis; Wed Mar 07, 2007 at 09:58pm.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Is it dangerous for an official to wear glasses while working an NFHS game?
i think so, thats why i wear contact lenses.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaellis
I can see a situation in which a kid losing her glasses and another player stepping on the lens(es) and their feet come out from under them. It's not likely, but it's certainly more likely than the same thing happening if a bobby pin fell out of a player's hair. Isn't this why no bobby pins and clips are forbidden?
No, the reasoning when it comes to metal hair clips is that someone's hand is likely to get sliced upon it when swinging to block a shot or grab a rebound.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, the reasoning when it comes to metal hair clips is that someone's hand is likely to get sliced upon it when swinging to block a shot or grab a rebound.
Likely? I think I have a mental picture of how that could happen, but I don't think I would consider it likely. Although I have very limited experience as a referee, I have considerable experience as a parent in the stands, and I think it is much more likely to have an issue with glasses than a barrette.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingandamiss
i think so, thats why i wear contact lenses.
Lasik here, two years ago. I regret waiting for so long to get it done, but I'm glad I waited at least until RK had been replace with the laser.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Likely? I think I have a mental picture of how that could happen, but I don't think I would consider it likely. Although I have very limited experience as a referee, I have considerable experience as a parent in the stands, and I think it is much more likely to have an issue with glasses than a barrette.
That is the explanation that I got years ago from a very experienced referee.

Note that the rules are quite specific on what can be put in the hair.
3-5-3 . . . Sweatbands, headwear and head decorations must meet the following guidelines:
a. Headbands and sweatbands must be white or similar in color to the torso of the jersey and must be the same color for each item and all participants. Only one item is permitted on the head and on each wrist. Items must be moisture-absorbing, nonabrasive and unadorned (except for logo, see 3-6).
b. Headbands may be a maximum of 2 inches (except for logo, see 3-6).
c. Sweatbands must be worn below the elbow and may be a maximum of 4 inches (except for logo, see 3-6).
d. Rubber/cloth (elastic) bands may be used to control hair.
e. Head decorations, except those specified above, are prohibited.

(with the religious exceptions)

Basically, when looking at equipment and apparel which is not specifically prohibited by the rules, you should focus on the equipment itself – not how it might be improperly used, or possibly injure someone in the occurrence of some far-fetched situation.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That is the explanation that I got years ago from a very experienced referee.

Note that the rules are quite specific on what can be put in the hair.
3-5-3 . . . Sweatbands, headwear and head decorations must meet the following guidelines:
a. Headbands and sweatbands must be white or similar in color to the torso of the jersey and must be the same color for each item and all participants. Only one item is permitted on the head and on each wrist. Items must be moisture-absorbing, nonabrasive and unadorned (except for logo, see 3-6).
b. Headbands may be a maximum of 2 inches (except for logo, see 3-6).
c. Sweatbands must be worn below the elbow and may be a maximum of 4 inches (except for logo, see 3-6).
d. Rubber/cloth (elastic) bands may be used to control hair.
e. Head decorations, except those specified above, are prohibited.

(with the religious exceptions)

Basically, when looking at equipment and apparel which is not specifically prohibited by the rules, you should focus on the equipment itself – not how it might be improperly used, or possibly injure someone in the occurrence of some far-fetched situation.
That's exactly my point, I probably just didn't express it adequately. The NFHS is very specific regarding what can be worn on the head and arms. Basically it has to be soft and non abrasive (and of a certain color, and logo less, ....). Which is why I have found it so surprising that glasses are not addressed (or maybe they were addressed at one time and it wasn't considered important).

Glasses contributing to an injury to the player wearing them, or to an opponent, or causing a hazardous situation is no more "far - fetched" than a barrette slicing through a hand, and I would dare to say that the glasses are probably more dangerous.

I just find it odd that NFHS is so anal about some things but doesn't seem to have considered other items which pose greater danger.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Glasses contributing to an injury to the player wearing them, or to an opponent, or causing a hazardous situation is no more "far - fetched" than a barrette slicing through a hand, and I would dare to say that the glasses are probably more dangerous.
The difference is that there are other ways to control one's hair which are simple and pose no danger, while other than contact lenses (which some people cannot wear or cannot afford) or laser surgery, there is no other way to allow this kid to see properly. Having the player see correctly is considered to carry more weight.

The argument has been made that it is inherently more dangerous to have a player running around on the court who can't see properly, than to have a pair of glasses on a player on the court.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The argument has been made that it is inherently more dangerous to have a player running around on the court who can't see properly, than to have a pair of glasses on a player on the court.
Agreed. It would be improper to adopt a rule that prohibited a player from wearing glasses; it's an issue that I can personally appreciate because I couldn't wear contacts.

However, I think that NFHS could, and should, adopt a rule that minimizes the possibility that glasses will come off the face of the player during the game. My personal opinion is that the player should be required to wear rec specs (or similar brand of sport safety glasses); but even if they don't want to go that far, they should at least require a strap or wrap around temples.