Thread: Glasses
View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaellis
Likely? I think I have a mental picture of how that could happen, but I don't think I would consider it likely. Although I have very limited experience as a referee, I have considerable experience as a parent in the stands, and I think it is much more likely to have an issue with glasses than a barrette.
That is the explanation that I got years ago from a very experienced referee.

Note that the rules are quite specific on what can be put in the hair.
3-5-3 . . . Sweatbands, headwear and head decorations must meet the following guidelines:
a. Headbands and sweatbands must be white or similar in color to the torso of the jersey and must be the same color for each item and all participants. Only one item is permitted on the head and on each wrist. Items must be moisture-absorbing, nonabrasive and unadorned (except for logo, see 3-6).
b. Headbands may be a maximum of 2 inches (except for logo, see 3-6).
c. Sweatbands must be worn below the elbow and may be a maximum of 4 inches (except for logo, see 3-6).
d. Rubber/cloth (elastic) bands may be used to control hair.
e. Head decorations, except those specified above, are prohibited.

(with the religious exceptions)

Basically, when looking at equipment and apparel which is not specifically prohibited by the rules, you should focus on the equipment itself – not how it might be improperly used, or possibly injure someone in the occurrence of some far-fetched situation.