The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Patty Broderick

Has anyone attended one of her camps. I am considering going to the camp in Elgin, IL. She is obviously a great official in many respects. I am contemplating a move to womans college. Any feed back would be appreciated

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

sure I heard Jon Diebler used to attend her camps but alas the memories are too fond and recent for me to go.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j51969
Has anyone attended one of her camps. I am considering going to the camp in Elgin, IL. She is obviously a great official in many respects. I am contemplating a move to womans college. Any feed back would be appreciated

The camp in Elgin is more of a teaching camp for those who may not be familiar with three man mechanics. It would be a waste of time for you if you know three man mechanics.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 01:08am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
The camp in Elgin is more of a teaching camp for those who may not be familiar with three man mechanics. It would be a waste of time for you if you know three man mechanics.
That is interesting that you said that. The people I know that attend this camp are trying to get hired. Many of the officials that attend the camp already work college or other levels high levels of basketball. I never got the impression that people were there to "learn" three person mechanics. I even know a local official that funnels officials there to be seen and get hired.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 06:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
That is interesting that you said that. The people I know that attend this camp are trying to get hired. Many of the officials that attend the camp already work college or other levels high levels of basketball. I never got the impression that people were there to "learn" three person mechanics. I even know a local official that funnels officials there to be seen and get hired.

Peace

I'm saying this from first hand knowledge. I spoke with Mrs. Broderick about this camp last year. This is what she told me.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 10:07am
Do not give a damn!!

I did not say you were wrong. It is advertised to people around here as a "showcase" camp. Also some people that are really trying to get hired attend the camp every year.

I also have worked games the last two years in the same tournament the camp is run. Several people I know that work a lot of college were there. And they certainly did not need to learn 3 Person.

Now is this the same camp that is run at several sites near Schaumburg and Elgin? Maybe this is the difference.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
I did not say you were wrong. It is advertised to people around here as a "showcase" camp. Also some people that are really trying to get hired attend the camp every year.

I also have worked games the last two years in the same tournament the camp is run. Several people I know that work a lot of college were there. And they certainly did not need to learn 3 Person.

Now is this the same camp that is run at several sites near Schaumburg and Elgin? Maybe this is the difference.

Peace
Rut, I am fully aware that you did not say I was wrong. You asked a question I answered it with the knowledge I had. Yes, it could be the difference.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Last year, at her camp in Texas, I went for a few hours and watched, since a few friends of mine that work on the women's side were there. It is definitely a place to get looked at. I knew a few of the instructors both from working with them and being at camps where they were at/instructing. In my view, this isn't a camp to go to if you need to learn 3 man. It is a place to hone 3 man skills for the higher D1 women's game.

A couple of the instructors I know will not pay any attention to you if they have the slightest hint you don't know what you are doing out there -- mechanics wise OR officiating wise.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 01:52pm
Lighten up, Francis.

One of the facts of camp life is that you're always hoping to "be seen" even if the camp is described as a teaching camp only. Sometimes these camps are the only way to get in front of an assignor. So you pay the money knowing that you're not going to get a contract at the end of camp, but with the hope that the assignor will remember at try-out time. That's just the way it is.

Last summer, I met a guy who went to Hoop Mountain. The assignor for a D1 conference is usually there and sometimes Jim Burr is there. They always say "You're not going to get any games from this camp." But it has happened in the past that Mr. Burr has passed along a name to the Big East assignor and a Hoop Mountain grad would show up in the Big East. And I think that the D1 assignor has taken a few guys from the camp. Not often, but it has happened.

So they were sitting around and talking about their various experience levels and guys were saying six years of high school and trying to break into college, stuff like that. And this guy I met says, "I've been working a college varsity schedule for about 10 years now". When a camp observer asked why he was at this "teaching camp", the guy admitted that he was hoping to be seen by the D1 assignor.

Well, apparently, this created a bit of a situation. He took a lot of heat for coming to a teaching camp in order to try to break into D1 and was made to feel very uncomfortable for the remainder of the camp. But honestly, there's no other way to do it for most guys. So even teaching camps are very often "be seen" camps, even if they're not labeled that way.

I guess you just shouldn't admit that's why you're there.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 09:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
Rut, I am fully aware that you did not say I was wrong. You asked a question I answered it with the knowledge I had. Yes, it could be the difference.
Relax my man. I am just trying to get out the right information. It really does not matter to me either way. I have not gone to the camp and I am not going anytime soon. I just heard differently that is all.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Relax my man. I am just trying to get out the right information. It really does not matter to me either way. I have not gone to the camp and I am not going anytime soon. I just heard differently that is all.

Peace
Rut, there is no problem on my end. I am relaxed. It's good dialogue. MHO