The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 26, 2002, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Does any one know if this camp will be held this year?? Last year it was over the Memorial Day weekend. I thoroughly enjoyed the camp, but have not heard if it will be held again. Any help or info is appreciated!! Thanks
Old Tue Mar 26, 2002, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Heard that it was an invite only camp this year.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2002, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Patty's camp is an invite only camp. Most of her camps are invites only now due to such a response she recieves.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2002, 06:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by johnSandlin
Patty's camp is an invite only camp. Most of her camps are invites only now due to such a response she recieves.
I am not saying you are wrong, but are you entirely sure about that? I know 3 officials that went to her camp last year, and there was nothing special about them to get "invited." I am not saying that they were bad officials, but they were reletively young in officiating. And one had never done a college game in his life. So why would they be invited and someone that had more experience or more to gain from the experience be left out?

Peace
Old Wed Mar 27, 2002, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by johnSandlin
I am not saying you are wrong, but are you entirely sure about that? I know 3 officials that went to her camp last year, and there was nothing special about them to get "invited." I am not saying that they were bad officials, but they were reletively young in officiating. And one had never done a college game in his life. So why would they be invited and someone that had more experience or more to gain from the experience be left out?

Peace
It's either changed this year or someone is not entirely correct. I know this because she sent me a brochure and application to go to the camp last year and I certainly would not have been invited. Not that I am putting myself down, mind you, just acknowledging that the wealth of my talents is as of yet unknown.
Old Thu Mar 28, 2002, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Question

JRutledge,

I am not totally sure about the info I posted. I am just going by what I remember. There are two or three officials that womens college with and everytime from my knowledge they inquired about a brochure, and they have gotten a responses back stating that it is an invite only. If somebody has better info, please post it so we do not give out wrong info. Thanks for the insight JRutledge.
Old Thu Mar 28, 2002, 11:23am
Do not give a damn!!

Question I was hoping that you had that information.

John,

I have no clue either. I just knew individuals that went last summer and I do not think there was anything special about them that would have got them invited to any camp. Nice guys but not much better than anyone else I know or that knows them. Now they do know a D1 Women's official that might have got them invited somehow. That could be the possibility. I just never heard them talk about being invited to her camp but that does not mean they were not. I am just as much in the dark about the situation as you are and I have no other information that contradicts what you said other than the fact that I knew someone that attended last year. And I did not also have an extensive conversation with them either about the camp. So you could be right all along, I do not have any concrete information one way or another. But what the hell else is new.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 28, 2002, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Totally understand where you are coming from JRutledge.
Old Thu Mar 28, 2002, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

The reason I originally asked this question, is because(as I stated earlier) I attended the camp last year, and I know it was not by invitation only!!! Things may have changed this year, but all the officials I know that have attended her camps in the past were NOT INVITED TO GO!! We need to keep our info straight, and not post things we are not 100% sure of. I was also told much of what happens with this camp will be determined after the final four. Assignors who are also officials may be forced to decide which job they want, assignor or official, because the NCAA does not want them holding both positions. Let's see how this plays out
Old Thu Mar 28, 2002, 03:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Talking 100% ?

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeref
The reason I originally asked this question, is because(as I stated earlier) I attended the camp last year, and I know it was not by invitation only!!! Things may have changed this year, but all the officials I know that have attended her camps in the past were NOT INVITED TO GO!! We need to keep our info straight, and not post things we are not 100% sure of. I was also told much of what happens with this camp will be determined after the final four. Assignors who are also officials may be forced to decide which job they want, assignor or official, because the NCAA does not want them holding both positions. Let's see how this plays out
If you want people to answer your question that knows 100%, then you should not have asked that question here, you should have asked Patty Broderick yourself. I am sure she is probably the only one that really knows the reason for her camp. I am sure she is the only one that knows the complete structure of her camp, it has her name on it. And I would assume (I am sorry that this is not 100%) but since she put her name on this camp, I am sure she is intellegent enough to realize what is going on in that camp.

This is the wrong place to ask questions about things no one here is going to have the slightest idea of. Now when I have the 15th Annual Rut Camp, I can give you all the answers then about what I plan to do about it. But until then, I will assume and speculate all I damn will please.

Lighten up man, we are trying to have a little fun here.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 28, 2002, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe you should listen to your own advice!!! Lighten up a bit You seem to be wrapped a bit too tight!!! I think this is the perfect place to ask the question, because I do think people HAVE "the slightest idea" what they are talking about. I have repect for most of the people that post here. So you go ahead and assume and speculate all you want, but keep in mind the old saying about people who assume things. I am not going to get into a pissing contest over such a trivial issue, but seems to me your personal offense to my statements are a bit out of line!!! Your reply was pompous and smacks of arrogance. Guess we can't all be blessed with your insight and knowledege of what people do and do not know!! I agree that we are all trying to have fun here, but believe me I have read many of your previous posts, and your "I know more than you do, how could you makes such a stupid statement" attitude is apparent in most of them!!
Have a great Easter and God Bless America
Old Thu Mar 28, 2002, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Question

mikeref,

No offense intended whatsoever, but I also think you could lighten also with this issue. The only thing that JRutledge and myself were trying to do is answer your original post to the best of our ability with the knowledge that we had and/or currently have about the topic. I do not see any reason at all to start putting down and/or ripping other officials when they answer your question that you originally asked, but it is not answered to your satisfaction. I have to agree with JRut on this one, this forum may not be the place you want be if you posting a question or topic and looking for an exact answer. But, this is just my viewpoint after reading your last remarks. Have a Happy Easter!!

Old Thu Mar 28, 2002, 06:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Just pulling your chain.

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeref
Maybe you should listen to your own advice!!! Lighten up a bit You seem to be wrapped a bit too tight!!! I think this is the perfect place to ask the question, because I do think people HAVE "the slightest idea" what they are talking about. I have repect for most of the people that post here. So you go ahead and assume and speculate all you want, but keep in mind the old saying about people who assume things. I am not going to get into a pissing contest over such a trivial issue, but seems to me your personal offense to my statements are a bit out of line!!! Your reply was pompous and smacks of arrogance. Guess we can't all be blessed with your insight and knowledege of what people do and do not know!! I agree that we are all trying to have fun here, but believe me I have read many of your previous posts, and your "I know more than you do, how could you makes such a stupid statement" attitude is apparent in most of them!!
Have a great Easter and God Bless America

Mike,

I AM MESSING WITH YOU!!!!

I just found it funny that you expected people to know about a situation that they do not run. And because they do not run it, they obviously are not going to know what Patty does with her camp on a year to year basis. If you wanted a clear answer, then you need to call Patty Brodrick yourself and not ask a bunch of people that may or may not have gone to the stupid camp.

Personally I have no interest in Patty's camp or any camp where the officiating is geared towards Women's Basketball. If you were paying any attention, you would know that. I just questioned John because I know of some young and inexperienced that went to the camp. There schedule was not better than anyone else's. I know of one that had never done a college game (that I am aware of) and he went to the silly camp.

I am just having fun with you. I just found your comments funny. You are the one that made an issue out of people not knowing what they were talking about. I just had to chuckle. I was chuckling only because most (including myself in this equation) only have slight knowledge of most things we discuss here. Unless we discussing the rules or things we can verify, most of what I say is going to be half or not complete knowledge. I guess if I were to talk about things in my state I would have greater knowledge. But discussing a camp that most here have never attended, and that I would bet many would not even want to attend is a big leap on your part.

The older I get, the more and more I realize how much I do not know. This is no exception.

Peace

[Edited by JRutledge on Mar 28th, 2002 at 05:42 PM]
Old Thu Mar 28, 2002, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Never intended to put down other officials and what they were saying or commenting on. My apologies if you took it that way. It is over lets us move on. We are all brothers (and sisters) in arms, here because we love this game so much. I try to learn every day, and I think I learned something today.
God Bless America
Old Fri Mar 29, 2002, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

MIKEREF:

I have a couple of phone calls out ot findout exactly what the scoop is with Pattys camp. I will post it when I findout, I assume it will be within the next couple of days.