The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 22, 2001, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I had a funny situation during a 7th grade girls game. The visiting team had the ball in their frontcourt when the home team violated, causing a spot throw-in from the side. I took the ball to the spot, pointed to it, and the visiting team inbounder was there, ready to go. We look up and everyone else (except the inbound receiver) had headed for the other end of the court. I looked at my partner, we blew the whistle, and motioned for everyone to come back. No one moved. We did it again. Still no one moved. Finally, after about 10 sec. of this, I made sure the inbounding team was ready, handed them the ball, and she throw it in. The receiver turned and put in a lay-up. The home coach was upset and said I could not do that. Correct me if I am wrong, but if I am ready to administer the throw-in, I do not have to wait for everyone to get to the proper side of the court. It would essentially be the same as if the inbounding team was not there when I was ready and I set the ball on the floor and started the count. I would like some feed back. Thanks.
Old Thu Nov 22, 2001, 07:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

First of all, were you playing under some special rules that would create a situation where a defending team could commit a violation during play? Did you mean a foul?

Second, you did not state whether this was a competitive league or just a rec league. In a competitive situation, even at the 7th grade level, you really have very little, if any, responsibility for the players knowing where to stand on an inbound play. If you have used proper mechanics, then it is the responsibility of the coaches to teach their team. If this was a rec league, I think one "heads up" to the teams that the ball is going a certain way certainly is enough. The fact that you did it twice and the teams did not respond tells me these kids either must have been really dense, or they have been trained not to do anything unless their coach tells them to.

And - just for the kicker, the coach gets mad at what happened! This guy is an idiot. What did he want you to do - shoot off a flare?
Old Thu Nov 22, 2001, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

You were correct in that it was indeed a foul. This was an interscholastic game, not rec league, so NFHS and IGHSAU rules applied.
This is my second year of officiating, so when things like that happen, I always like to get a clarification, so just in case I am wrong, I don't do it twice. Thanks a bunch.
Old Thu Nov 22, 2001, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

I like your

What are IGHSAU rules?

From what you have explained about this situation, I believe you did everything appropriate. The only question I would have is: Was your communication (Preliminary signal and mechanics) clearly communicated?

I can not imagine a coach would be that "clueless" and leave the basket undefended. Uh, errr, wait, I am talking about a coach. I retract that last assumption.

Old Fri Nov 23, 2001, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
First of all, were you playing under some special rules that would create a situation where a defending team could commit a violation during play? Did you mean a foul?

A kicked ball by the defense would cover this, no?
Old Fri Nov 23, 2001, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

Causing the ball to go OOB is also a violation that can be committed by the defense.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Nov 23, 2001, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

IGHSAU = Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union.

In Iowa, Boys and Girls activities are governed by separate bodies. We have about a page and a half of rules interpretations that are different than the NFHS.
Old Fri Nov 23, 2001, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

The Girl's Union rules are a bit strange at times, but the boys are covered solely by NFHS rules.
Huskerblue, are you from Iowa? If so where?
Thanks guys.
Old Fri Nov 23, 2001, 03:47pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Unhappy Aaarrrrrggghhhh!

Duh - I must have had on my "I'm With Stupid" T-shirt with the arrow pointing inward when I asked about a defensive team committing a violation.

That's only the third time in my life I've been wrong.

I've been married twice - you do the math.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2001, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Matt,

I am from Northwest Iowa. LeMars area. Need some ice cream?? :-)

Huskerblue