The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 16, 2001, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

During the first FT of a two shot foul, A1 and B1 violated the lane lines simultaneously during A2's free throw. What is the ruling? Do you clear the lane for the second FT and designate the spot to the team entitled to the alternating-possession throw-in?
Old Fri Nov 16, 2001, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

No.

A double lane violation on the first shot simply negates that shot. The second FT proceeds as it normally would.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2001, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Depends on what rules you are using, if NFHS then yes the above post is coorect. If NCAA, then I would try to get the first one, and not call a double. One of them had to go just slightly first.
Old Sat Nov 17, 2001, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Flannery
Depends on what rules you are using, if NFHS then yes the above post is coorect. If NCAA, then I would try to get the first one, and not call a double. One of them had to go just slightly first.
If B goes first, it's still a double violation, as long as it's not the shooter that violates. If A goes first, then we're done as soon as A violates.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Nov 17, 2001, 04:15am
In Memoriam

If B goes first, it's still a double violation, as long as it's not the shooter that violates. If A goes first, then we're done as soon as A violates. [/B][/QUOTE]

Good point,Todd!

Old Sat Nov 17, 2001, 10:41am
In Memoriam

JR, yer buggin' me! That's twice.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
If B goes first, it's still a double violation, as long as it's not the shooter that violates. If A goes first, then we're done as soon as A violates.
Good point,Todd!

[/B][/QUOTE]

Why are you calling Tony... Todd?
mick
Old Sat Nov 17, 2001, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Talking

In NCAA we are to call the first one. Tha is why it would not be a double violation, unless the shooter or someone from behind the line also violated.
Old Sat Nov 17, 2001, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

I swear, ....

Tony SHOULD have been a Todd....LMAO

My apologies to TONY.
Old Sat Nov 17, 2001, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In NCAA we are to call the first one. Tha is why it would not be a double violation, unless the shooter or someone from behind the line also violated.
So if A1 is the shooter, B1 steps in, and then A2 steps in, you ignore the violation by A2?

I can see it if A1 violates. You call disconcertion on B1. But I don't understand why you ignore the violation by A2. Based on what rule?

Old Sat Nov 17, 2001, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
So if A1 is the shooter, B1 steps in, and then A2 steps in, you ignore the violation by A2?

I can see it if A1 violates. You call disconcertion on B1. But I don't understand why you ignore the violation by A2. Based on what rule?
Based on NCAA 9-2-4, which is new this year. If there are two lane violations and the first is on B, then the shooter gets a replacement shot (assuming he/she was not the other violator).
Old Sun Nov 18, 2001, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Based on NCAA 9-2-4, which is new this year. If there are two lane violations and the first is on B, then the shooter gets a replacement shot (assuming he/she was not the other violator).
If he/she (the shooter) is the other violator, then it's not a LANE violation -- it's another (a different) type of Free Throw violation. The (new) rule only deals with LANE violations.

[Edited by bob jenkins on Nov 18th, 2001 at 09:32 PM]
Old Sun Nov 18, 2001, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
I can live with a new rule. But not a new interpretation of the old rule.

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
If he/she is the other violator, then it's not a LANE violation -- it's another (a different) type of lane violation. The (new) rule only deals with LANE violations.
Huh?

[Edited by BktBallRef on Nov 18th, 2001 at 12:27 PM]

Old Sun Nov 18, 2001, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Here's the rule

Sorry for the somewhat ambiguous pronouns in my previous post.

NCAA 9-2-4:
When there is a lane violation by a teammate of the free-thrower and an opponent:

(a.) When the first violation is by the free-thrower's team, the ball shall become dead when the violation occurs, no point shall be scored and play shall be resumed from a designated spot by awarding the ball to the opponent of the team that committed the first violation.

(b.) When the first violation is by the opponent of the free-thrower's team and the try is successful, the goal shall count and the violation shall be disregarded. When the try is not successful, the ball shall become dead when the free throw ends and a substitute throw shall be attempted by the same free-thrower under the same conditions as those for the original free throw.

(A.R. 9.) A1 and B1 violated the lane lines simultaneously during A2's free throw. Ruling: When the official is unable to discern which player committed the first violation, the ball shall be awarded at a designated spot to the team entitled to the alternating-possession throw-in.
Old Sun Nov 18, 2001, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
If he/she is the other violator, then it's not a LANE violation -- it's another (a different) type of [Strike]lane[/Strike] Free Throw violation. The (new) rule only deals with LANE violations.
Huh?
Oops -- corrected above (sort of) and in the original (I hope)

[Edited by bob jenkins on Nov 18th, 2001 at 09:31 PM]