The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Ohio State vs Wisconsin

I was in attendance at this game, and I am a Buckeye fan so I am biased. But does anyone else think that the game was poorly officiated? I just thought Wisconsin got away with a lot of no calls. It was like jail break on Oden today. Would like to hear what everyone thinks.
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 10:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

I thought considering how poorly the game was played, I did not think the officiating was bad at all. I guess you are looking for people to blame the officials for what took place. I thought there were 3 great travel calls on Oden. There were many great no-calls on blocks and the replay confirmed them. If you expected nothing to be missed, that would not be very realistic.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

No, no, no. I don't expect everything to be called. Bu when Oden is being slapped, and punched right in the ref's face, or when Terwilliger went out of bounds to save the ball and the player held his arm. I expect those to be called. I only think Oden traveled once, and the other two were "assisted". I mean Ohio State won in a fantastic game. And Wisconsin is a hell of a team. But I can't help but think that Ohio State would have won that game by 5-10 points if the refs would have called some fouls underneath. Just me maybe.
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 10:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uxley11
No, no, no. I don't expect everything to be called. Bu when Oden is being slapped, and punched right in the ref's face, or when Terwilliger went out of bounds to save the ball and the player held his arm. I expect those to be called. I only think Oden traveled once, and the other two were "assisted". I mean Ohio State won in a fantastic game. And Wisconsin is a hell of a team. But I can't help but think that Ohio State would have won that game by 5-10 points if the refs would have called some fouls underneath. Just me maybe.
Punched and slapped? That is a bit overly dramatic don't you think? I saw a lot of physical play on the part of both Oden and the person guarding him. And I disagree with you on the Oden travels. Basketball is a contact sport BTW. If Oden wants to spin off the body of his opponent, then do it without moving your pivot foot. And the officials were very consistent in calling it. And getting your shot blocked, contact is not only possible but often necessary. You probably did not see the replays, I did. The blocks were very clean.

I know it is all the official's fault.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
I was in attendance at this game, and I am a Buckeye fan so I am biased. But does anyone else think that the game was poorly officiated? I just thought Wisconsin got away with a lot of no calls. It was like jail break on Oden today. Would like to hear what everyone thinks.
I was watching the game on TV, and I thought the refs did fine. ALthough it's hard to be objective when Packer is such an idiot. He was unusually asinine today, and even harder on the refs than usual. SO perhaps I'm being a little biased toward the refs, myself.

I did think the travel calls were all terrific. Clearly moving the pivot foot, clear advantage gained. Whether or not you agree about applying A/D to violations, you definitely agree that they gotta be called when there is an advantage. And I thought there was in every case of an Oden travel.
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 02:01am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Fanboy.
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 02:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Fanboy.
I second that motion! Saw one of the three travel calls, as I was in and out during the game, but from what I saw, seemed like a well officiated game overall. From what I saw of the game, I'm agreeing with JRut.
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 08:41am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
No, no, no. I don't expect everything to be called. Bu when Oden is being slapped, and punched right in the ref's face, or when Terwilliger went out of bounds to save the ball and the player held his arm. I expect those to be called.
I only saw about 2 minutes of the game so I have no opinion. But uxley, I was just wondering, weren't there any calls that went against Wisconsin that the refs missed or did they just miss calls that went against OSU?
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 09:04am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I follow the Badgers and I thought the game was superbly officiated (and Wisconsin lost). I talked to a friend right after the game ended and we agreed that this game was officiated as best as a good, hardnosed, physical game could be officiated.

Oden has a lot of natural gifts, but he has a long way to go. Lots of turnovers and a silly number of travels (all properly called) for a kid at that level.

Oh, and since when does a #1 team win at home and storm the court? A bit of an inferiority complex or just not knowing how to act as #1?

These two teams are as even as they come. If not for the Wisconsin slip-up at Michigan State, they would've been deserving co-champions.
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 09:08am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
There were a number of drives where it appeared Tucker or Taylor got fouled, but it's the nature of a game like this. Officials aren't going to turn it into a foul fest. Oden is just as physical (on both ends) and physical play is going to bring (by good teams) equally physical play.

Look at your analysis again and ask yourself if you're applying the same level of scrutiny when Wisconsin has the ball.
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 09:08am

I saw only part of it but I'll say this. And I don't mean this disrespectfully at all. But if you were a ref you would know when a fan complains and thinks a play should be called a particular way the fact is that the fans will be flat wrong about 9 out of 10 times. And the other time they are probably wrong as well. It's just that you don't know what to look for. It is highly doubtful that Oden got slapped and punched. And based on the other refs descriptions of the travels it there was contact on those plays Oden probably initiated it.

In any given game it would be that maybe 1, maybe 2 on the outside, calls that any crew would like to have the chance to call again. As a fan you need to understand that sitting in the stands and watching a handful of games each year is no replacement for the hundreds of games, maybe even thousands of games, that this crew has worked over the years. I wouldn't dream of criticizing a heart surgeon because I don't know beans about it. The same holds true for fans and the Billy Packers on the subject of officiating

Last edited by sj; Mon Feb 26, 2007 at 10:11am.
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 10:22am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally Posted by uxley
Ohio State would have won that game by 5-10 points if the refs would have called some fouls
Fanboy.
Nah. Just mad Ohio St. didn't cover the spread.
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 10:26am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
These two teams are as even as they come. If not for the Wisconsin slip-up at Michigan State, they would've been deserving co-champions.
"The Badgers lost their tallest starter and leading rebounder, Brian Butch, for the entire second half after he sustained an elbow injury midway through the opening half." -USA Today

Rich,
For my brackets: Butch went out early and then another big guy went down.
Will they be back soon?

I bought a new Red hat with a white "W" in January.
Go, Badgers !
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I guess you forgot that Wisconsin shot a total of one free throw in the second half? The free throw which Ohio State had to foul 3 times in 5 seconds to get to the bonus.

I thought the officiating was just fine...
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
I follow the Badgers and I thought the game was superbly officiated (and Wisconsin lost). I talked to a friend right after the game ended and we agreed that this game was officiated as best as a good, hardnosed, physical game could be officiated.

Oden has a lot of natural gifts, but he has a long way to go. Lots of turnovers and a silly number of travels (all properly called) for a kid at that level.

Oh, and since when does a #1 team win at home and storm the court? A bit of an inferiority complex or just not knowing how to act as #1?

Actually Ohio State could have been #2 depending on how you looked at it. And they stormed the court because they won this one thing. Oh, the Big 10 Championship for the second straight year. And you said why did fans storm the court at their own HOME. Where else can you storm the court? If this game was at Wisconsin and it was the same result, and you were a Buckeye fan would you storm the court?