The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 15, 2001, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Hi gang,

This situation happened in my game (senior girls HS). Team A scores. They are very happy and so is the coach. He jumps out of his chair in excitement but his momemtum carries him to the side of the court. He is half out of bound and the half on the court. Team B, being very alert, takes the ball out of bounds, after the hoop, and player B1 passes to B2 who is located by now in her frontcourt. The pass hits the coach. Oh! oh! My partner blows his whistle and tells the coach that since he was on the court, which he is not suppose to be, a technical foul is assess. Did my partner make the right call ?
Old Thu Nov 15, 2001, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmmm Which Rule to use....

I'd had given him a T.... But for which infraction....
1. Too many coaches on the court would be good
2. Or maybe the "But my inbounds foot was in the air so I was really OOB" would negate #1.
3. How about delay of game?

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2001, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
If you have a coaches box, you can nail him for being out of the box. It doesn't extend onto the floor. If you are in a seatbelt state. This would be very tricky. After all a coach may rise to acknowledge a good play. But he cannot go onto the floor during a live ball. So by the book, you are correct. In this situation you have to call a T because the coach is not part of the court as an official is and he definitely interfered with play. So the call is a good one.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2001, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

The spirit of the rules....

I think we all need to remember the spirit and intent of the rules.

If B2 regains control, then play on (no advantage/disadvantage). If not, then blow the whistle and give the ball to B out of bounds.

Since it was an "honest" mistake made by the coach, then why penalise them with a Techincal foul?

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Thu Nov 15, 2001, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

You gotta be kidding!

The spirit of the rules don't ever allow the coach to come onto the court during a live ball. This is not an advantage/disadvantage situation. The coach has a respponsibility to conduct himself as an adult, which includes being responsible for his mistakes. The coach gets a T and he never, ever does this again.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Nov 15, 2001, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with the T. The spirit of the game does not allow the coach to cause the other team to avoid him while bringing the ball up the floor... Let's buy them all seatbelts for Christmas.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2001, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Re: The spirit of the rules....

Quote:
Originally posted by Oz Referee
I think we all need to remember the spirit and intent of the rules.

If B2 regains control, then play on (no advantage/disadvantage). If not, then blow the whistle and give the ball to B out of bounds.

Since it was an "honest" mistake made by the coach, then why penalise them with a Techincal foul?
You say to give B the ball OOB if B2 doesn't "recover." That would actually put B at a disadvantage - where originally team B had a fast break, team A now has a chance to set up on defense. Final answer - the "T" needs to be called.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2001, 02:06am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

I'm sorry, but I disagree with giving a T. The coach was obviously showing elation at scoring, he wasn't showing disrespect to the officials by entering the court.

Old Fri Nov 16, 2001, 02:07am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Woo Hoo! I'm a senior member now!

Old Fri Nov 16, 2001, 05:10am
In Memoriam

Oz Referee,you said you should play on if B2 recovers the ball.That's completely against the rules.When the pass by B1 strikes the A coach who is OOB,the ball is now OOB by Fed rules(7-1-2b).If you don't T up the A coach,you have to give the ball to A for a throw-in,because B1 threw the ball OOB.Try selling that one(good luck).The only possible call you got in this sitch is a T on the A coach.If not,then you are penalising Team B for the A coach's "honest mistake".
Old Fri Nov 16, 2001, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PP
Hi gang,

He is half out of bound and the half on the court. Team B, being very alert, takes the ball out of bounds, after the hoop, and player B1 passes to B2 who is located by now in her frontcourt. The pass hits the coach. call ?
First, I too would T the coach for being on the court. Mistake or not T him. Besides being a longstanding rule the coach is now the 6th defender on the floor. He is cutting off the sideline.

Notice something else in the original post. Coach A is standing half on and half off the court. So, if he is not Td, the ball is OOB on B. Ball to A. Talk about a disadvantage.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2001, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Oz, I know trying to look at this "logically", but it basketball..lol
The spirit of the law is used in soccer officiating. Basketball is officiated a little differently. (i.e. whistles need to quicker in hoops, in soccer you delay more to watch the advantage)
Where do you draw the line on the coach showing his "elation"? Stopping the fast break? When his arm (while cheering...) hits or knocksout, a player going down the floor. If the player has to even "flinch" or stop dead in there in his tracks, the coach has interfered. That goes for all the bench personal.
T'm up, sit 'em down...Rawhide
(sorry got carried away)
Old Fri Nov 16, 2001, 03:56pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

You call the T based on the rule which states, "Howler monkeys are not allowed on the court at any time."
Old Sun Nov 18, 2001, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

OK, I missed the bit about the coach being half OOB, so I agree there is no way you can let Team B recover and continue with the ball.

As far as the T.... I can see everyone's arguement, but I think it would really depend on the situation, the way the coach has behaved so far in the game, and other factors as to whether or not I would call a T.

Art N I certainly disagree about your comment that in Basketball we do not use the "spirit" of the rules as opposed to soccer (real football!). I think the spirit of the rules is just as important in basketball as when officiating any other sport.

Old Sun Nov 18, 2001, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

I think this is a clear case for a T.

Whether intentional or not, the coach clearly interfered with the play. To simply call the ball OOB would negate B's pseudo-fast break situation, giving A time to set up defensively, and A would gain the advantage.