LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Article by Fox Sports: Refs should be whistled for traveling

Interesting reading. Enjoy.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/6495276
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Bobby Knight calling the refs greedy. Funny. I wonder how many games they'd have to ref to come close to his compensation? And what's HIS excuse for being crabby all the time?
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 09:38pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day
Old Sat Feb 24, 2007, 10:42am
Courageous When Prudent

Here's a good article that was linked to the original article.
Old Sat Feb 24, 2007, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Sportswriters shouldn't be allowed to write more then 3 articles per week. It's too taxing on their brains.
Old Sat Feb 24, 2007, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
Sportswriters shouldn't be allowed to write more then 3 articles per week. It's too taxing on their brains.
Perhaps we could convince the government to use the subsidy method once used for wheat farmers and pay some sportswriters to not write.
Old Sat Feb 24, 2007, 02:58pm
M.A.S.H.

Probably some bummed sports writer who feels his team or prediction was robbed by an official who works a lot.
Old Sat Feb 24, 2007, 04:22pm

This was good reading. I always like when we cut thru the chase and get to the point which is what these articles do. I am a bit perplex with these assigners. I think they are the problem. Nobody will ever make me believe that the officials that work DI or the only officials that can work DI. There is no shortage of officials that would like to make $1200 - $2400 per game.

You would think that with these guys working crazy schedules like this, that there is a shortage of good officials. There simply isn't! In another thread I drew a very valid comparison between career minded AAU officials (aka weekend warriors) and DI officials who chase these big games. There is no difference in the way these people view officiating. One group just makes way more money then the other and this is where the hypocrisy starts. If you're making a lot of money doing it, then it's okay. No doubt we turn our heads to the DI warrior working everyday of the week. But even at the AAU level it's a problem, we don't want to see an official working his 8th game of the day, working our game.

No doubt there needs to be limits set and I think it's up to the assigners to do it. The article states:
"The problem is that these guys are working multiple leagues, so no one is monitoring how often they work. And coordinators such as Clougherty and Hyland understand they would lose the elite officials to other conferences if they went to them and said they couldn't work elsewhere. "If I'm not going to use him today, someone else is," Clougherty added. "So I'd rather benefit than have him go to the SEC or another league."

Bullsh!t, I say. This is pure BS and I think where the problem lies. I do not think that officiating is rocket science work where only certain people in the country can do it. Until we get over this, there will always be issues. However, I will say this. I have no problem with these guys making the money that they are making, supporting their families and such, even though they are not able to see them in the winter. Not a bad job if you can get it. I just wish we would stop with the deception that only these guys can do it.

I got the answer though. It's actually quite simple and already stated. You can't work more than one major DI conference, period. That's what needs to happen. Until there is a shortage of officials, then why have guys work multiple conferences? Supply and demand. The assigners could do this without having to get an act of congress to pull off. The assigners just need to have some balls and stand up to these elite officials and coaches. Unfortunately, because of the amount of money involved (the root of all evil) it will never change, imho.

Last edited by Old School; Sat Feb 24, 2007 at 06:32pm.
Old Sat Feb 24, 2007, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
This was good reading. I always like when we cut thru the chase and get to the point which is what these articles do. I am a bit perplex with these assigners. I think they are the problem. Nobody will ever make me believe that the officials that work DI or the only officials that can work DI. There is no shortage of officials that would like to make $1200 - $2400 per game.

You would think that with these guys working crazy schedules like this, that there is a shortage of good officials. There simply isn't! In another thread I drew a very valid comparison between career minded AAU officials (aka weekend warriors) and DI officials who chase these big games. There is no difference in the way these people view officiating. One group just makes way more money then the other and this is where the hypocrisy starts. If you're making a lot of money doing it, then it's okay. No doubt we turn our heads to the DI warrior working everyday of the week. But even at the AAU level it's a problem, we don't want to see an official working his 8th game of the day, working our game.

No doubt there needs to be limits set and I think it's up to the assigners to do it. The article states:
"The problem is that these guys are working multiple leagues, so no one is monitoring how often they work. And coordinators such as Clougherty and Hyland understand they would lose the elite officials to other conferences if they went to them and said they couldn't work elsewhere. "If I'm not going to use him today, someone else is," Clougherty added. "So I'd rather benefit than have him go to the SEC or another league."

Bullsh!t, I say. This is pure BS and I think where the problem lies. I do not think that officiating is rocket science work where only certain people in the country can do it. Until we get over this, there will always be issues. However, I will say this. I have no problem with these guys making the money that they are making, supporting their families and such, even though they are not able to see them in the winter. Not a bad job if you can get it. I just wish we would stop with the deception that only these guys can do it.

I got the answer though. It's actually quite simple and already stated. You can't work more than one DI conference, period. That's what needs to happen. Until there is a shortage of officials, then why have guys work multiple conferences? Supply and demand. The assigners could do this without having to get an act of congress to pull off. The assigners just need to have some balls and stand up to these elite officials and coaches. Unfortunately, because of the amount of money involved (the root of all evil) it will never change, imho.
Let me guess oldschool you could work some D1 games. I whish I could say I'm at that level but jsut watching those guys work then me I can clearly see a HUGED diffrence there is no way I could work D1 right now, hopefully some day but not now. Do I believe that only the guys who are working D1 now are the only ones who can NO, but I do believe there are very few that can. Not everyone has what it takes to be a ref either. I know a few people who tried and just could not do it.
Oldschool alot of times I think you should change your name to school of stupidity.
Old Sat Feb 24, 2007, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I got the answer though. It's actually quite simple and already stated. You can't work more than one DI conference, period. That's what needs to happen. Until there is a shortage of officials, then why have guys work multiple conferences? Supply and demand. The assigners could do this without having to get an act of congress to pull off. The assigners just need to have some balls and stand up to these elite officials and coaches. Unfortunately, because of the amount of money involved (the root of all evil) it will never change, imho.
Un-f@#$ing-believable.

I'm relatively new to the basketball board so I have to ask: Do you officiate?
Or, are you a fan, or grandfather of an AAU player? Or is this like a gameshow for you where you periodically need to buy a clue?
Old Sat Feb 24, 2007, 05:35pm
9 times

Quote:

I have heard this kind of attitude about who does work D1 vs who has the ability to work D1 from several different people. I know that there are some people out there who have the ability to work D1 and are not working at that level,but that number, IMO, is not very large. Refereeing at that level is not so much about calling the plays (although if you cannot call the plays right most of the time you will not last there)--it is more about controlling the people involved and controling the game. Most of the guys who I know who work at that level and who I have worked with are terrific game managers.

Also IMO, most of the people who I know who think they belong at that level, and are not there, are kidding themselves.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Sat Feb 24, 2007, 05:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzzy07
Do I believe that only the guys who are working D1 now are the only ones who can NO, but I do believe there are very few that can.
There-in lies the problem.
Old Sat Feb 24, 2007, 06:09pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes
Refereeing at that level is not so much about calling the plays (although if you cannot call the plays right most of the time you will not last there)--it is more about controlling the people involved and controling the game.
Another myth, imo. These big time officials no more control the game than a HS official working a state playoff game. The players control the game. The coaches control the players. The facility controls the fans. The clock is going to go from 20:00 to 00:00, I don't care who referees the game because it must be played. If you work DIII NCAA Men's, you can work DI. There is no difference except the level of play is faster and better, players are bigger but, believe it or not, it's easier to call a DI game. You get media timeouts and a monitor to check any last second shot attempts. There is so many people there to help make sure the game runs smoothly that it is truly a myth to think that DI officials control the game any better than any other official.
Old Sat Feb 24, 2007, 06:40pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Un-f@#$ing-believable.

I'm relatively new to the basketball board so I have to ask: Do you officiate?
Just a troll, Garth. We've gone through the exercise to confirm that. He isn't an official. Maybe does a little rec stuff, but he's never done any organized ball. Doesn't even own rule books.
Old Sat Feb 24, 2007, 07:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Just a troll, Garth. We've gone through the exercise to confirm that.
What exercise is that? The exercise where you asked me my name and I won't tell you so you think I never officated. That's okay, I like being a troll. Life is good as a troll. I can speak my mind without fear of losing face. I can challenge people position better on a subject because I don't have to be right all the time. We all know how cut-throat this business is.

Long live the trolls....