The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What's the call?
Since it hit the rim, I'm calling it a try. No violation. 49 77.78%
Come on. He's obviously passing and not trying for goal. This is an illegal dribble. 14 22.22%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 06:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

A poll for my curiosity

A1 dribbles up the the court, coming to a stop and stopping his dribble about 5 feet into his front court. He throws a baseball pass towards A2, who is standing in the lane near the basket. The ball hits the rim and bounces back towards A1, who takes 4 steps before retrieving the ball. What's the ruling?
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
This is a "duh" for me, at least at the high school level. If it hits the rim, it's a try, team control ends, everything starts over.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 11:08am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
This is a "duh" for me, at least at the high school level. If it hits the rim, it's a try, team control ends, everything starts over.
Agreed. If I can legally let them play, I will.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Agreed. If I can legally let them play, I will.
If this kid shots every shot in a baseball pass motion I will give him the benefit of the doubt and call it a try, but let's be serious here it is a pass and nothing more. It is not a try, how many kids regularly shot 41 foot jumpers during the game....NONE (Unless the end of a period)! Sometimes we get really carried away here and argue just for the sake for or arguing.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 01:35pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef
If this kid shots every shot in a baseball pass motion I will give him the benefit of the doubt and call it a try, but let's be serious here it is a pass and nothing more. It is not a try, how many kids regularly shot 41 foot jumpers during the game....NONE (Unless the end of a period)! Sometimes we get really carried away here and argue just for the sake for or arguing.
Apparently a lot more people are seriously disagreeing with you than are agreeing with you. It's running about 80-20 against you so far.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 01:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
That's why I did the poll the way I did it; to see just how people would call it. I can leave the arguing for the other thread.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Apparently a lot more people are seriously disagreeing with you than are agreeing with you. It's running about 80-20 against you so far.

I can't believe that 77% of you are wrong.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 01:58pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
I can't believe that 77% of you are wrong.
Where is your smiley face? If you call this one, good luck!
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Where is your smiley face? If you call this one, good luck!
You are not suggesting we consider the coaches or crowds opinion are you?
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
A1 dribbles up the the court, coming to a stop and stopping his dribble about 5 feet into his front court. He throws a baseball pass towards A2, who is standing in the lane near the basket. The ball hits the rim and bounces back towards A1, who takes 4 steps before retrieving the ball. What's the ruling?
Lemme play devils advocate here. Sorry if this sitch has been discussed before. New details added to Snaq's sitch.

A1 dribbles up the the court, coming to a stop and stopping his dribble about 5 feet into his front court. He throws a baseball pass towards A2, who is standing in the lane near the basket. B1 fouls A1 on the arm on the throw. The ball hits the rim. What's the ruling? Popular vote here states "it hits the rim it's a try".

A1 shooting three free throws?
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 02:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I didn't see any reference to coaches or crowds in his post. For me, it would be good luck with my assigner. I could probably get away with calling it once or twice (as if it's going to happen more than that), but not after we had a chat about it.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP
Lemme play devils advocate here. Sorry if this sitch has been discussed before. New details added to Snaq's sitch.

A1 dribbles up the the court, coming to a stop and stopping his dribble about 5 feet into his front court. He throws a baseball pass towards A2, who is standing in the lane near the basket. B1 fouls A1 on the arm on the throw. The ball hits the rim. What's the ruling? Popular vote here states "it hits the rim it's a try".

It's a loaded scenario because you've already told us what A1's intent was. You don't have that luxury in the middle of the game.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Ref12
It's a loaded scenario because you've already told us what A1's intent was. You don't have that luxury in the middle of the game.
And it was loaded in the OP...so whats the diff?
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

How dare you come up with a logical counter example!
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

No way, it was a pass that ended up hitting the rim due to foul. I am not calling this a shot. But now if it goes in, count the 3 and shoot a free throw.