The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Charging vs Blocking

What is the "rule of thumb" that seasoned officials use when judging to call "charging" versus "blocking"? In the games that I have watched it seems to be split about 50/50 going each way on the calls that are really judgement calls; meaning not obvious (in my mind) one or the other. It seems that if A1 (offense) leads with body or shoulder, it is most often called "charging". I would agree most of the time if defense has LGP. If A1 is airborne, it is usually called "blocking" regardless if B1 has LGP. Could someone elaborate on what you use to go by?
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

if A1 is airborne and B1 obtained LGP before A1 left the ground thats an offensive foul.

usually square through the chest = offensive
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 03:54pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
What is the "rule of thumb" that seasoned officials use when judging to call "charging" versus "blocking"? In the games that I have watched it seems to be split about 50/50 going each way on the calls that are really judgement calls; meaning not obvious (in my mind) one or the other. It seems that if A1 (offense) leads with body or shoulder, it is most often called "charging". I would agree most of the time if defense has LGP. If A1 is airborne, it is usually called "blocking" regardless if B1 has LGP. Could someone elaborate on what you use to go by?

1) Start by learning the definitions for guarding and screening. Knowing these rules forward and backwards, right-side up and upsides down will go a long way to applying these definitions correctly.

2) Officiate the defense. Why? It is the easiest way to determine who is at fault when contact occurs.

3) Practice, practice, practice.

It has been my observation over the years, that too many blocks are called and not enough charges called.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

I agree per rules, but do not see many calls going that way. Thus the judgement factor coming in I suppose; plus you have to be there, right? When I watch games I try to make the calls that I see and hopefully my calls match up with what is called live. But this one seems to elude me.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
1) Start by learning the definitions for guarding and screening. Knowing these rules forward and backwards, right-side up and upsides down will go a long way to applying these definitions correctly.

2) Officiate the defense. Why? It is the easiest way to determine who is at fault when contact occurs.

3) Practice, practice, practice.

It has been my observation over the years, that too many blocks are called and not enough charges called.

MTD, Sr.
1) okay lets talk guarding... once a defender has LGP he can move to continue said guarding position. He does not have to be motionless to avoid a blocking call, correct?

2) This is interesting. I have never considered watching defense per offense to determine contact or other violations. I will give this some thought.

3)agree, agree, agree and re-read the rules.

I agree with your final thought, which is really the reason I ask this question. It seems to me that blocking is too often called as well, at least in my understanding of the rules and what I see.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

What MDN said....

focus on the defender.....timing and positioning.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
1) okay lets talk guarding... once a defender has LGP he can move to continue said guarding position. He does not have to be motionless to avoid a blocking call, correct?

2) This is interesting. I have never considered watching defense per offense to determine contact or other violations. I will give this some thought.
1. the myth that a high school defender has to be motionless - he/she only has to maintain legal guarding position... now I need to study the rules for guarding, especially, to clearly understand what motions are legal in order to maintain legal guarding position

2. we are taught to 'referee the defense' as a basic premise to making the right call - it helps to think "where are my defensive players" and then primarily observe them - for one thing, it cuts down on ball watching, but it also enables you to know whether the defender was able to a) have a step before reaching the screen and b) beat the dribbler to a spot on the floor
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjenning
1. the myth that a high school defender has to be motionless - he/she only has to maintain legal guarding position... now I need to study the rules for guarding, especially, to clearly understand what motions are legal in order to maintain legal guarding position

2. we are taught to 'referee the defense' as a basic premise to making the right call - it helps to think "where are my defensive players" and then primarily observe them - for one thing, it cuts down on ball watching, but it also enables you to know whether the defender was able to a) have a step before reaching the screen and b) beat the dribbler to a spot on the floor
2.) I like this logic. I think this and the previous responses regarding the defense and timing / position are the root of what my mind is looking for to answer the question. I need to put this into practice to see if it makes the calls easier.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Block/ Charge

Now I have nowhere near the experience of most of the officials on this board but I actually listened to them. LOL I fall into the area of a little knowledge is a dangerous thing..... I now ref the defense most of the time. And lo and behold the amount of player control fouls and charges I have picked up is incredible. I can pick up the PC foul/charge with soooo much ease now. Really it's incredible by just reffing the defense what I pick up.....
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Another good hint is the defenders reaction to the contact.

Getting knocked (or reacting) off the line of travel of the offensive player SUGGESTS the defender was not at LGP. If the defender is displaced strait back from the offense's direction there was more than likely a charge (PCF).
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Can someone clarify for me how "Legal Guarding Position" is defined? I think I have a rough idea, but I couldn't explain it to someone else.

Also, has there been a trend in officiating towards calling more charges in the last 10 years or so? Of course, it may be that I am just a less ignorant participant/viewer then I was in my younger day.

Thanks.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Daddy
Another good hint is the defenders reaction to the contact.

Getting knocked (or reacting) off the line of travel of the offensive player SUGGESTS the defender was not at LGP.
No it doesn't. It only give a hint to where the two bodies made contact. It says nothing about a much more important factor: which direction each player was moving (if at all).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Daddy
If the defender is displaced strait back from the offense's direction there was more than likely a charge (PCF).
If the defender is moving laterally (legal) at a moderately fast pace and is hit sqaure in the chest, the defender will not be knocked straight back. The defender will fall back at an angle that is a combination of being knocked back and their previous direction of travel. Yet if the same defender were stationary and were hit the same, they would be knocked straight back.

Likewise, a fully stationary defender that is hit more off-center, will be knocked away at an angle.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Feb 20, 2007 at 06:47pm.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXCoach
Can someone clarify for me how "Legal Guarding Position" is defined? I think I have a rough idea, but I couldn't explain it to someone else.

Also, has there been a trend in officiating towards calling more charges in the last 10 years or so? Of course, it may be that I am just a less ignorant participant/viewer then I was in my younger day.

Thanks.
To obtain Legal Guarding Position the defensive player must have both feet on the floor and facing the opponent.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Rule 4-23-2 To obtain an initial legal guarding position:
a) The guard must have both feet touching the playing court.
b) The front of the guard's torso must be facing the opponent.

Art.3... After the initial legal guarding position is obtained:
a) The guard may have one or both feet on the playing court or be airborne, provide he/she has inbounds status.
b) The guard is not required to continue facing the opponent.
c) The guard may move laterally or obliquely to maintain position, provided it is not toward the opponent when contact occurs.
d) The guard may raise hands or jump within his/her own vertical plane.
e) The guard may turn or duck to absorb the shock of imminent contact.

As I watch more games I see more blocking calls than charging; thus part of why I asked this initial question. Although in one game over the weekend it seemed they called more charging in the first half and more blocking in the second.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
One of things I look at is contact. If the shoulders and torso has gotten past the defender, then defender is responsible for contact. If its a head on collision, mean contact by offesive person first, the dribbler is responsible. LGP is the key and know where the defense is. Splute hit it on the head.