The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Is there an easy place to find NCAA officiating assignments? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/32006-there-easy-place-find-ncaa-officiating-assignments.html)

jdw3018 Mon Feb 19, 2007 02:29pm

Is there an easy place to find NCAA officiating assignments?

If I wanted to find out who was working a game tonight, is there a good place to look ahead of time? I know it's always in the box score afterwards, but didn't know if it was public ahead of time...

JRutledge Mon Feb 19, 2007 02:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018
If I wanted to find out who was working a game tonight, is there a good place to look ahead of time? I know it's always in the box score afterwards, but didn't know if it was public ahead of time...

I feel confident in saying that you will not find out that information on any site other than when the game is over or already in progress (live box scores). For the most obvious reason those assignments are not going to be made to the public. Also the NCAA games I have been to live, they do not announce who the officials are at the site.

Peace

jdw3018 Mon Feb 19, 2007 02:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
I feel confident in saying that you will not find out that information on any site other than when the game is over or already in progress (live box scores). For the most obvious reason those assignments are not going to be made to the public. Also the NCAA games I have been to live, they do not announce who the officials are at the site.

Peace

Thanks JR. I always thought those were kept private until after the game, too, but someone commented to me on a crew officiating a game tonight and I wondered if that info was public or if he just "knew" somebody.

Appreciate the help!

fonzzy07 Mon Feb 19, 2007 07:30pm

Quote:

Peace

Huum JR. I have been fortunate enough to sit courtside at a few SLU games this year over at the Scottrade Center and before the game they print out starters, notes ect on each team and also the officials r on there. We do not get these sheets till about 20 mins before game time tho. Also when they give us the halftime and final game stats they also put the officials on there. This is all for the general public as well it is not like i have league or coach seating, just a very very strong connection to Scottrade that gets me these.
I do agree tho that they do not announce them over the PA. just woundering why they would put them out in writting tho.

JRutledge Mon Feb 19, 2007 07:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzzy07
This is all for the general public as well it is not like i have league or coach seating, just a very very strong connection to Scottrade that gets me these.

So are you saying that well before the game there is a place that you can find future assignments to NCAA games? We are not talking about at the game site several minutes before the game. We are talking about if I want to find out who is working this Saturday, that is listed somewhere. Unless you know a NCAA official, I do not know you can find this information any place.

Peace

steve33 Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:08pm

Our school has all 3 officials assigned for every game before the beginning of the season for check-making purposes, but this info would never be released until written on box scores.

BktBallRef Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018

The officiating assignments for all major sports leagues, both pro and college, are guarded. The assigned officials may tell close friends where they'll be working but that's it.

There are many obvious reasons for this but the most obvious are security and gambling (both legal and illegal).

Scrapper1 Tue Feb 20, 2007 08:53am

Quote:

Also the NCAA games I have been to live, they do not announce who the officials are at the site.

JRut, I think this is the comment that fonzy was replying to. At my D3 games, the officials are often (not always) announced along with player intros.

I think it is probably a school-by-school (or maybe conference-by-conference) decision. That's just a guess, though.

JRutledge Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1
JRut, I think this is the comment that fonzy was replying to. At my D3 games, the officials are often (not always) announced along with player intros.

I think it is probably a school-by-school (or maybe conference-by-conference) decision. That's just a guess, though.

I am going to take a guess, but I do not believe the OPer was talking about D3 basketball games and I know I was not talking about that level either. I am going to take a wild guess that the OPer was talking about D1 level and where he could get that information. I do not know many people betting on the local D3 rivalry with a Vegas Sports book.

Peace

Scrapper1 Tue Feb 20, 2007 01:33pm

Quote:

I am going to take a guess, but I do not believe the OPer was talking about D3 basketball games and I know I was not talking about that level either.

I think you are probably right. I only mentioned the D3 level as an example to show that the officials are sometimes announced at NCAA games. And I think fonzy said that he has often heard the officials announced at a D1 school as well.

Not trying to pick a fight. Just giving a couple examples.

JRutledge Tue Feb 20, 2007 03:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I think you are probably right. I only mentioned the D3 level as an example to show that the officials are sometimes announced at NCAA games. And I think fonzy said that he has often heard the officials announced at a D1 school as well.

Not trying to pick a fight. Just giving a couple examples.

I did not think you were trying to pick a fight. I am just saying I believe he was not talking about what happens at that level. I am sure there are exceptions about who announces in the arena, but I would put more money down that this is not something you can find on a website and two weeks from now you will know working the big Texas-Texas A&M battle as an example.

Peace

Scrapper1 Tue Feb 20, 2007 03:53pm

Quote:

I would put more money down that this is not something you can find on a website

Agree 100%