The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Buzzer OOPS

Varsity game Saturday. Very physical game. I call a pushing foul and partner becomes lead. As he is getting everthing ready, I check clock and see a 9 by team fouls and ask if this is 9th or 10th and told it is 9th. Partner gets ready to give ball to shooter and also looks at table askeing 1and 1 or 2. Table points at scoreboard so he tells lane its bonus and bounces ball to shooter.

Shooter gets ready to shoot and horn goes off - and immediately C's whistle goes off. Following whistle (about 1-2 seconds) shooter shoots and misses. Table informs that it really is the 10 team foul. Players line up and shooter is given ball for first of 2 throws. Coach goes nuts and I am trail. He thinks first missed shot should count. I explained to him that the horn did not stop play, but the C's whistle did when it sounded prior to the shooter making his try. Everything after the whistle was a moot point. He asked if the shooter had made the FT - would I have taken basket away and I replied yes, as long as the whistle sounded prior to the attempt. he was not happy as the shooter drained both attempts.

What would you do?
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

You were spot on. But I would also flog the table personnel.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 02:44pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui
Varsity game Saturday. Very physical game. I call a pushing foul and partner becomes lead. As he is getting everthing ready, I check clock and see a 9 by team fouls and ask if this is 9th or 10th and told it is 9th. Partner gets ready to give ball to shooter and also looks at table askeing 1and 1 or 2. Table points at scoreboard so he tells lane its bonus and bounces ball to shooter.

Shooter gets ready to shoot and horn goes off - and immediately C's whistle goes off. Following whistle (about 1-2 seconds) shooter shoots and misses. Table informs that it really is the 10 team foul. Players line up and shooter is given ball for first of 2 throws. Coach goes nuts and I am trail. He thinks first missed shot should count. I explained to him that the horn did not stop play, but the C's whistle did when it sounded prior to the shooter making his try. Everything after the whistle was a moot point. He asked if the shooter had made the FT - would I have taken basket away and I replied yes, as long as the whistle sounded prior to the attempt. he was not happy as the shooter drained both attempts.

What would you do?

You did good; you nailed this play.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

You handled the situation correctly. When the whistle sounded, the ball became dead. A1's subsequent toss at the basket would not have counted. A delay of game warning could have been issued to the shooter for not returning the ball to the administering referee in a timely manner, but personally I would not do that. Coach B sounds as if he wants to whine.

And yes I would tell the table to get their head in the game.