The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Play Situation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/31989-play-situation.html)

SMEngmann Mon Feb 19, 2007 07:31am

Play Situation

I observed this play situation in a BV playoff game recently and would like your take on what you have:

A1 shoots misses a contested layup, the ball bounds up in the air in the cylinder. B1 and A2 each attempt to get to the ball, and in the process B1 grabs the ring, pulls it down slightly as he releases it and him momentum carries him down. The ball then fades outside the cylinder without being contacted by anyone. What do you have here?

Jurassic Referee Mon Feb 19, 2007 07:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMEngmann

A1 shoots misses a contested layup, <font color = red>the ball bounds up in the air in the cylinder</font>. B1 and A2 each attempt to get to the ball, and in the process<font color = red> B1 grabs the ring, pulls it down slightly as he releases it</font> and him momentum carries him down. <font color = red>The ball then fades outside the cylinder without being contacted by anyone</font>. What do you have here?

Technical foul on B1 for grabbing the rim, if no one was under him. You <b>can't</b> have BI if the ring was grabbed while the ball was above it and ball was never touched while it was in the cylinder.

Jurassic Referee Mon Feb 19, 2007 07:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianaref
Basket interference by B1. Count the basket.

The rules won't support that call.

JoeTheRef Mon Feb 19, 2007 07:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianaref
Basket interference by B1. Count the basket.

I disagree.. If the ball is in the cylinder it can't be basket interference unless he touches the ball. If the ball is on the rim or in the basket it is basket interference if he touches any part of the basket to include the net.

ronny mulkey Mon Feb 19, 2007 07:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Technical foul on B1 for grabbing the rim, if no one was under him. You <b>can't</b> have BI if the ring was grabbed while the ball was above it and ball was never touched while it was in the cylinder.

JR,

Does someone have to be under him to make the rim grab legal?

Mulk

Jurassic Referee Mon Feb 19, 2007 07:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronny mulkey
JR,

Mulk

Ronnie, unless he grabbed the ring to prevent an injury, it should be a "T". that usually equates to someone being under the grabber.

JoeTheRef Mon Feb 19, 2007 07:51am

Quote:

JR,

Mulk

If it's the defensive player..... HELL YEAH!! :D

Jurassic Referee Mon Feb 19, 2007 08:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
If it's the defensive player..... HELL YEAH!! :D

Why would it have to be the <b>defensive</b> player to be a factor in whether the call is made or not?:confused:

JoeTheRef Mon Feb 19, 2007 08:08am

Quote:

Why would it have to be the <b>defensive</b> player to be a factor in whether the call is made or not?:confused:

It doesn't, BUT in this case B1 grabbed and held the rim and the defensive player has no business grabbing and holding onto the rim unless he's protecting himself.

ronny mulkey Mon Feb 19, 2007 08:17am

Quote:

It doesn't, BUT in this case B1 grabbed and held the rim and the defensive player has no business grabbing and holding onto the rim unless he's protecting himself.

Joe,

My point is that you can be preventing injury even if someone is NOT under you. It really has nothing to do with offense or defense.

JoeTheRef Mon Feb 19, 2007 08:20am

Quote:

Joe,

My point is that you can be preventing injury even if someone is NOT under you. It really has nothing to do with offense or defense.

Mulk, I clearly understand that point. I guess if the offensive player can grab it to prevent injurying himself or anyone in the vicinity, usually because of momentum, then I guess the defensive player can do the same as well.

Jurassic Referee Mon Feb 19, 2007 08:26am

Quote:

Um, Joe, on a missed shot, there is <b>no</b> defensive player. Or offensive player either. You use A1 and B1 just to show that they're on opposite teams.

JoeTheRef Mon Feb 19, 2007 08:35am

Quote:

Um, Joe, on a missed shot, there is <b>no</b> defensive player. Or offensive player either. You use A1 and B1 just to show that they're on opposite teams.

Gotcha JR.... In the OP is it safe to assume that B1 is in his/hers backcourt, and the aforementioned RIM was not B1's offensive rim? I'm somewhat familiar with the A1/B1 concept. I think I saw that somewhere, but thanks for the reminder..:rolleyes:

Indianaref Mon Feb 19, 2007 08:36am

Quote:

I disagree.. If the ball is in the cylinder it can't be basket interference unless he touches the ball. If the ball is on the rim or in the basket it is basket interference if he touches any part of the basket to include the net.

Thanks Joe, I should have known this!

Adam Mon Feb 19, 2007 08:38am

I think Jurassic's point is that both players similarly have no business grabbing the rim on a rebound.