The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting seating

Last night I worked my first girl's tournament game, a district semi-final, class 1A. The gym had a stage that ran the full sideline of the court and before the game a bunch of students were sitting on the edge of the stage. I went to the AD and asked if they sit there thoughout the game. He told me that they did, it was a school tradition that he tried to get rid of when he took over but the community fought to keep them there. They stayed and we didn't have any problems. It was just kind of goofy though. On a related topic, this was my first 1A girls game of the season after working mostly 3A and 4A. Wow! It was hard work. I had no clue on what advantage/disadvantage was for those girls.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 02:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
Last night I worked my first girl's tournament game, a district semi-final, class 1A. The gym had a stage that ran the full sideline of the court and before the game a bunch of students were sitting on the edge of the stage. I went to the AD and asked if they sit there thoughout the game. He told me that they did, it was a school tradition that he tried to get rid of when he took over but the community fought to keep them there. They stayed and we didn't have any problems. It was just kind of goofy though. On a related topic, this was my first 1A girls game of the season after working mostly 3A and 4A. Wow! It was hard work. I had no clue on what advantage/disadvantage was for those girls.
Had a 1A varsity double header in a similar gym last month. The difference? The teams sat on the edge of the stage, and the scorers' table was on the stage between the teams.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

In Columbus we have several City League schools with the basketball floor on the stage running left to right. Entire crowd down in the auditorium seating, usually separated with a left and right side of the room tape line.

One is being redone this year, while the other two are due in the next 3 years.

Also had a game at the YMCA downtown (BV charter school). The place has all the spectator seating up above the floor on a suspended oval over the floor. It was right out of Hoosiers. Could only see the scoreboard from tableside. We had a ball hit the railing right next to the backboard.

Kept waiting for someone to get the ball out of the peach baskets.

Last edited by stmaryrams; Thu Feb 15, 2007 at 02:54pm.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

One gym in our area is like that too, seating on the edge of the stage right next to the court. Odd.