The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   I T'ed a Priest (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/31602-i-ted-priest.html)

fonzzy07 Wed Feb 07, 2007 09:14pm

I T'ed a Priest

had a game today where the away team was coached by a Catholic Priest, yes he wore the collar and all to the game. Well half way through the 3rd quatre he drops the F bomb loud enough for me to hear it at the other end of the court. I beat my partner to the whistle and give the PRIEST a T. Everything went good from there, he even said he was sorry after the game. Just thought it was odd. Have any of you guys encountered odd situations like that?

refnrev Wed Feb 07, 2007 09:18pm

Nope, but this preacher has T'd his share of coaches and players. Sad that he lost control of his language.... not a good example for anyone, but good that he apologized.

sj Wed Feb 07, 2007 09:53pm

My uncle worked basketball in Iowa in the 1950's. He told me how he had worked a game between two Catholic schools and the coaches were both priests. I don't know the details of what happened except that they got into it with each other and he ended up ejecting them both from the game.

My uncle has passed away now but about 5 years ago my Dad was back in the area where they grew up and was at a local restaurant. A guy came to his table and introduced himself. It was an old friend of both of them. And the first thing he told my Dad was how he always remembered how Richard (my uncle and Dad's brother) had kicked those two priests out of that game. So people were still talking about it about 50 years later. I don't know if I'll ever top that one but you got halfway there anyway. : > )

Ref Daddy Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:09pm

... sign the Apocalypse is near?

BktBallRef Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sj
And the first thing he told my Dad was how he always remembered how Richard (my uncle and Dad's brother) had kicked those two priests out of that game. So people were still talking about it about 50 years later. I don't know if I'll ever top that one but you got halfway there anyway. : > )

Hey, it's something to shoot for! :)

fonzzy07 Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sj
My uncle worked basketball in Iowa in the 1950's. He told me how he had worked a game between two Catholic schools and the coaches were both priests. I don't know the details of what happened except that they got into it with each other and he ended up ejecting them both from the game.

My uncle has passed away now but about 5 years ago my Dad was back in the area where they grew up and was at a local restaurant. A guy came to his table and introduced himself. It was an old friend of both of them. And the first thing he told my Dad was how he always remembered how Richard (my uncle and Dad's brother) had kicked those two priests out of that game. So people were still talking about it about 50 years later. I don't know if I'll ever top that one but you got halfway there anyway. : > )

No not even I only got 1/4th of the way there. I only gave 1 priest 1 tech to catch up he would need another and the other coach(priest) would need 2.
but yeah 1/4 is something to brag about.

stmaryrams Thu Feb 08, 2007 07:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzzy07
had a game today where the away team was coached by a Catholic Priest, yes he wore the collar and all to the game. Well half way through the 3rd quatre he drops the F bomb loud enough for me to hear it at the other end of the court. I beat my partner to the whistle and give the PRIEST a T. Everything went good from there, he even said he was sorry after the game. Just thought it was odd. Have any of you guys encountered odd situations like that?

So does this priest have to hear his own confession now?

Nevadaref Thu Feb 08, 2007 07:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzzy07
I T'ed a Priest

M&M this one's yours. I'll wait for it. :D

PYRef Thu Feb 08, 2007 07:53am

It's that dang Catholic School thing again!:D

FrankHtown Thu Feb 08, 2007 09:30am

I remember the story about the priest who was playing golf with some friends, and he skulled a bunker shot into the water. He turned to his playing companions and asked if someone would say a few appropriate words for him.

Eastshire Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:29am

There's a local Catholic school that has a team with a priest or monk coach. He wears a white robe with a black cord for a belt. He wasn't one of the better disciplined coaches I've had this year.

Junker Thu Feb 08, 2007 01:18pm

I never T'd a priest, but I did have an administrator talk to one that was complaining and acting as our scorer. I almost dumped him from the table but he figured out he couldn't be a fan at the table. Btw, his wife that was on the book almost joined him.

GoodwillRef Thu Feb 08, 2007 01:30pm

The church probably just got cable and he is watching too much FX!

Ref Daddy Thu Feb 08, 2007 02:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junker
I never T'd a priest, but I did have an administrator talk to one that was complaining and acting as our scorer. I almost dumped him from the table but he figured out he couldn't be a fan at the table. Btw, his wife that was on the book almost joined him.

Am I missing something?

Ignats75 Thu Feb 08, 2007 02:43pm

Those darn Episcopalians.:D