The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Question New too

Let me try this again....

I too am new to officiating. Volunteered to ref the Upwards league at our church. As with everything I do; its all or nothing. So after studying the Upwards rules and noticed they use NFHS rules (with some modifications), I bought several of the NFHS books and have begun studying. I am having a blast and would like to get certified. I think I would enjoy youth leagues and maybe, futher in the future some High school games. But what are the steps I need to take just to get certification? I have found my district and sent emails to the secretary, but no response yet. I would like to be able to teach the other volunteers proper mechanics and rules before next season and I believe certification would go along way in getting their participation. I would appreciate any help you can provide for TEXAS and I look forward to interesting rules discussions. I have already learned a lot just reading for the past several days.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 06:35pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Go to a HS game and see if you can ask one of the officials about who to talk to about classes in the fall.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the response. I will do that.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

There's no real "certification" process in Texas. You just sign up with a chapter, pay your dues, get assignments, then work your way up. You will have the opportunity to attend camps and get better.

Since you are in Deer Park, go to this site and if you haven't already, sign up: http://www.houstonref.com/houstonref.php. There's a chance they aren't checking this stuff right now since they are busy with end of the season stuff.

If you don't hear anything in a week or so, I'd contact Ben Frank at [email protected] if you haven't already. He's listed as the secretary of the Houston chapter. I'd make the effort to contact him soon as the deadline for paying dues for returning members for next year is soon (usually March 1 or 15). You're not a returning member, but there could be an advantage to signing up anyway.

Otherwise, you can find out when the first meeting is next fall.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

And while you're on the computer, check out the web page of the Texas Association of Sports Officials: http://www.taso.org

There's a link there for folks interested in becoming an official......

Welcome to the forum!
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the info. I have emailed Ben Frank, but no response yet. I will check into the site you provided. How bout those Aggies?
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Great! Thanks and I appreciate the welcome. There is a lot of great discussion here.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

I posted this to you on the other thread.

You might start with your state high school association. The OHSAA has a link in their website called "So you want to be an official". In Ohio, you take a written test twice. When you get your Class 2 license (which allows you to work up to and including the JV level and again when you get your Class 1 license which allows you to work Varsity games. You might also consider finding out where the referee schools or classes are. Contact your local referee's association and I'm sure they can direct you t o one. Schools are the best way to go, because they will give you the background and foundation to build your avocation without all the bad habits that come about from refereeing in REC level and Church League type games.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75
The OHSAA has a link in their website called "So you want to be an official".
Wasn't this website orignially, "So you think you have brain damage"?
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Again good information. The previous responses have connected me with the local chapter in Houston and I have begun the sign up process. I will check out this website as well. The idea of written tests would certainly indicate proficiency of rules, but do they test your court mechanics too?
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No. That's the link to the COACH'S Association.

Had a coach get wacked in my Girl's Varsity game last night. Partner U1 got her. I went over to remind her that she no longer had the privilege of using the Coaching Box. Her pet weasel...errr I mean Assisstant Coach, who I've locked horns with twice this year when I did JV games started flapping his gums.

Just as I was going to tell him that he was an assisstant coach and therefore had to STFU(I wish) , the R came over and just took me away. We talked about it in the locker room during our postgame conference. I told the R (We call her The Queen) that I should've wacked him so that she could've come over there and wacked him again and we could've tossed them both!!!! We laughed at that thought...tossing two coaches with 1 T.

Fox 40 Whistle......$5.00
Smitty Lanyard......$3.00
Blowing the FOX 40 once and getting to toss TWO coaches....PRICELESS.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
Ha, too funny. After reading how you guys have been abused by fans & coaches, I would have to agree.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Just a suggestion here, but you mention wanting to teach volunteers the mechanics before next season. You might want to consider bringing in a more seasoned official to do the teaching. Officiating isn't really something you can pick up over the course of 1 year, especially since your regular NFHS season is about over.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Good point. I need to find out what officials are in my area. Hopefully getting involved with the Houston Chapter will provide me with people who do not mind helping guys who are just getting started. Plus I will contact my local High School to see if the coach may be able to help. I am hoping there are some camps I can attend in the coming months that will give me a better understanding of what I am getting into. Perhaps I can find out early if this is right for me. I really appreciate all the information; I truly had no idea how to get started.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 09:21am
MABO Member

Maybe OS is available.......

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.