The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Stop and ask directions

Does anyone use a GPS navigation system to help get you to games on time? Can anyone recommend a decent unit with real-time traffic? Don't want to show up to the game to late
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 09:30pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart
Does anyone use a GPS navigation system to help get you to games on time? Can anyone recommend a decent unit with real-time traffic? Don't want to show up to the game too late
I'm bored tonight.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

www.ohsaa.org gives me the school address

www.mapquest.com gives me directions.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 09:42pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Does anyone use a GPS navigation system to help get you to games on time? Can anyone recommend a decent unit with real-time traffic? Don't want to show up to the game to late
How 'bout just planning ahead?
Old Sun Feb 04, 2007, 12:00am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
Yup. And failing that, I get myself close and then stop at a gas station or fast food joint and ask them how to get to the middle school. I know where all the high schools are.
Seriously, since starting here this year, I've found mapquest to be a Godsend. I don't need GPS, but a good mapquest printout is like sliced bread.
Old Sun Feb 04, 2007, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Consumer Reports just evaluated them -- in the issu prioor to the current one, I think. I don't think "finding schools" was one of the tests.
Old Sun Feb 04, 2007, 01:28am
Get away from me, Steve.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 350. I travel around the country for my job and it's small enough to fit in the front pocket of my briefcase and charges via a car or home power outlet.

I haven't printed a map since I bought it, although occasionally it won't find the school by name in the built-in "phone book" so I have to get the address of the school from the Internet.
Old Sun Feb 04, 2007, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have a Garmin 340 with the add on FM traffic receiver. I didn't get it for officiating - in my job I travel the better part of 3 states and use it when I'm traveling. That said, I have used it fairly consistently both to find the best route to schools whose location I'm not familiar with (most recently this afternoon) and to get enroute traffic in general. It has a very extensive built in location database that includes schools. In the unlikely event a school isn't in the database (only happened to me once) you simply input the street address as the destination.

In my experience it does a much better job than Mapquest, which sometimes will give you pretty convoluted directions. Another plus is that if you have to detour enroute it automatically recalculates the directions in real time as well as providing a real time ETA.

I personally prefer Garmin, because I have used their aviation products for years, but there are other good units out there - for example, I have a friend that has one of the Tom Tom units and is very pleased with it. I've also heard good things about Magellan.

Best suggestion I can make is to hit one of the big box electronics stores (Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.) and check out the various units they have on display.
Old Sun Feb 04, 2007, 01:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Arbiter

Our local IAABO board using the Arbiter program to assign games. The Arbiter can also be used, through Mapquest, to get directions to the site.
Old Sun Feb 04, 2007, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

I use Mapquest (thru the Arbiter) but I have a GPS unit on the way so I can do detours or directions from non-household starting points. I'm not completely sure, but I think if you want real time traffic services through the GPS unit you'll have to pay a monthly fee.
Old Sun Feb 04, 2007, 05:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
Newport must not be that big.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 04, 2007, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Seriously, since starting here this year, I've found mapquest to be a Godsend. I don't need GPS, but a good mapquest printout is like sliced bread.
It can be. . .but I've had a couple of issues with mapquest. Sometimes it will forego the quickest route to give you a route based on major highways. A couple of times, it's been dead wrong. Once I was going to a movie with my wife and I used mapquest to locate the theater (in the Denver area). I followed the directions exactly, and it put me in a little residential neighborhood in a cul-de-sac nowhere near the theater. I was ready to knock on somebody's door and ask if Highlander: Endgame was playing in their basement.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75
www.ohsaa.org gives me the school address

www.mapquest.com gives me directions.
It's not hard for an association website to be setup to link directly to maps. In fact, mine has links to 4 different ones to fit any specific user's preferences: Mapquest, Yahoo, Google, and Infospace. I've often used Google's maps to switch to satellite/arial view to see what is not on the map....parking, gym location on the property.

Looks like I may need to add maps.live.com. It has taken Google's idea and increased the detail and added the ability to switch to 5 different angles on the arial view. With it, you can see a LOT!
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Gps - Yes

Gave my wife a Garmin 330 for Christmas and she has let me use it a few times. It works great, but many times I know a quicker or more convenient route. The best thing about it is if you miss a turn or go the wrong way, it will recalulate and get you back on track. I've been doing the same schools for 8-9 years now so I pretty much know where they are.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
It's not hard for an association website to be setup to link directly to maps.
All of our schools are listed with links: www.accd.edu/taso
- click on Find A School and you get a Yahoo map
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
In fact, mine has links to 4 different ones to fit any specific user's preferences: Mapquest, Yahoo, Google, and Infospace. I've often used Google's maps to switch to satellite/arial view to see what is not on the map....parking, gym location on the property.

Looks like I may need to add maps.live.com. It has taken Google's idea and increased the detail and added the ability to switch to 5 different angles on the arial view. With it, you can see a LOT!
I've been burned too many times by Mapquest sending me someplace completely wrong, but maps.google.com has been much better - I'll have to check out maps.live.com!