The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Question Working the entire court

I was at a game last night where one of the officials suffered a pulled muscle in his leg with about 2:00 left in the first half. From that point on, he worked the middle of the court while his partner went end-to-end.

Anyone seen anything like this before?
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 02:04pm
Courageous When Prudent

That's a nice partner. Bet he lost a couple pounds doing that.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire99
I was at a game last night where one of the officials suffered a pulled muscle in his leg with about 2:00 left in the first half. From that point on, he worked the middle of the court while his partner went end-to-end.

Anyone seen anything like this before?
No, but I've had partners who made me feel like they were just standing at halfcourt all night.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

not really

Had someone in our chapter pull it early in the 4th, we just kept in center the rest of the game.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIAA REF
Had someone in our chapter pull it early in the 4th, we just kept in center the rest of the game.
I have had that happen on my crew TWICE this year. Never before. we did the same thing . . . he stayed "C", and we didn't rotate at all.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

I think I'll get "hurt" Friday night and see if I can sell the rest of my crew on it.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Been there, done that both as the bystander at halfcourt and the runner! Sometimes you gotta do what's needed!
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 05:00pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Happened to me once this yr (Rec League) as my senior partner hurt his knee.

I was thankful the game wasn't close and the coach of the team that was ahead had his team slow the game down and reduce/eliminate their fast breaks. I was still dogged though.....
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
No, but I've had partners who made me feel like they were just standing at halfcourt all night.

Couldn't agree more!

Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

I reffed a game in a small gym with bleachers on the side opposite the entrance. Everyone walking across on the endline tracked in some snow that made it pretty wet. I slid on it and twisted my ankle. One coach actually saw and called a time-out just to make sure I was OK. I asked him if I he was giving me the 30 or a full!
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 09:04pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow
I reffed a game in a small gym with bleachers on the side opposite the entrance. Everyone walking across on the endline tracked in some snow that made it pretty wet. I slid on it and twisted my ankle. One coach actually saw and called a time-out just to make sure I was OK. I asked him if I he was giving me the 30 or a full!
Did he beckon your assignor out onto the court? If so, it's a good thing you got the TO, or else he would have had to substitute for you. I guess that would have given his assistant something constructive to do.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 06:32am
Official Forum Member

I don't understand the logic of keeping an injured official at C the whole time and not rotate. You are sacrificing your court coverage by doing so, and not helping the injured official. If someone is that concerned with being hurt, he's not good to the crew anyhow. Finish with 2 and let the other guy heal up. At least with 2 you guys can use proper mechanics and get better angles.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

This happened to Verne Harris in a Pac-10 game. He stayed C for the rest of the game. I believe that it was Washington and Arizona either last year or the year before.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Did a JV game and was watching the V. about 3 minutes into game one official (2 man crew) went down. Doctor in stands came down with trainer and diagnosed torn calf muscle. Coaches and AD got together and AD went on PA asking if there were any registered officials. Then he saw me and told me to get dressed. I finished the game. Don't know why but for some reason the other official didn't want to finish the game alone even though he could have by rule.

It was a smooth game. Turns out the guy tore his calf and also had a severly sprained achillies and was out the entire season.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Two man crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMEngmann
I don't understand the logic of keeping an injured official at C the whole time and not rotate. You are sacrificing your court coverage by doing so, and not helping the injured official. If someone is that concerned with being hurt, he's not good to the crew anyhow. Finish with 2 and let the other guy heal up. At least with 2 you guys can use proper mechanics and get better angles.

This was a two man crew so it was do it the way they did or play half a game with one official.