The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Had a game tonight, 3 man crew. I am the trail official, ball goes out of bounds in front court on endline on opposite side of lead between 3pt line and sideline. Lead doesn't blow his whistle and after a hesitation C does. During halftime I asked the official that had been the lead why he didn't blow his whistle, since the endline was his line. He said that he was taught as lead that he only has the endline from 3pt line to 3pt line, and that he was not supposed to call anything that went out on the endline between the arc and the sideline, on either side.
I know that the leads primary area on ballside, on the court, is inside the arc to the basket and he is not looking to call fouls, violations, 3pt goals, etc, that occur ballside between the arc and the sideline. But if the ball goes out of bounds on the endline, I thought that was his line exclusively (just as the trail has the sideline and the division line and the C has the opposite sideline). I was taught if the ball goes out on the endline, even on the other side of the court, that the lead is the one and only whistle, and if he is unsure of the direction then he looks to the C for help.
What is the correct procedure?
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sc/nc ref
Had a game tonight, 3 man crew. I am the trail official, ball goes out of bounds in front court on endline on opposite side of lead between 3pt line and sideline. Lead doesn't blow his whistle and after a hesitation C does. During halftime I asked the official that had been the lead why he didn't blow his whistle, since the endline was his line. He said that he was taught as lead that he only has the endline from 3pt line to 3pt line, and that he was not supposed to call anything that went out on the endline between the arc and the sideline, on either side.
I know that the leads primary area on ballside, on the court, is inside the arc to the basket and he is not looking to call fouls, violations, 3pt goals, etc, that occur ballside between the arc and the sideline. But if the ball goes out of bounds on the endline, I thought that was his line exclusively (just as the trail has the sideline and the division line and the C has the opposite sideline). I was taught if the ball goes out on the endline, even on the other side of the court, that the lead is the one and only whistle, and if he is unsure of the direction then he looks to the C for help.
What is the correct procedure?
L has the entire endline
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 11:21pm
In Memoriam

Arrow Good call.

Quote:
I was taught if the ball goes out on the endline, even on the other side of the court, that the lead is the one and only whistle, and if he is unsure of the direction then he looks to the C for help.
xc/nc ref
This works.

Officials Manual 310. "The lead official ... has end line responsibility."
mick
Old Fri Feb 18, 2005, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Good call.

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
I was taught if the ball goes out on the endline, even on the other side of the court, that the lead is the one and only whistle, and if he is unsure of the direction then he looks to the C for help.
xc/nc ref
This works.

mick
Completely true. However, there are times when the Lead may be doing a good job of watching a competitive matchup and the ball goes out so far in the corner that it's hard to tell if it was endline or sideline. In that case, I appreciate a C that takes that one (part of pregame).

Z
Old Sat Feb 19, 2005, 12:08am
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Good call.

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
Quote:
xc/nc ref
This works.

mick
Completely true. However, there are times when the Lead may be doing a good job of watching a competitive matchup and the ball goes out so far in the corner that it's hard to tell if it was endline or sideline. In that case, I appreciate a C that takes that one (part of pregame).

Z
Sure Z, that can happen, but not to me.
It's still my whistle because of my great court awareness.
mick
Old Sat Feb 19, 2005, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Re: Re: Good call.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
Quote:
xc/nc ref
This works.

mick

Z
mick
Most of us will never be like you, though, mick. So we need those little helps whenever we can get them.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2005, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Good call.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mick
Quote:
mick
Mick,

I didn't think I needed to write the part about "except for Mick" because I figured it was obvious.

Z
Old Sat Feb 19, 2005, 07:40am
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Re: Re: Good call.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
Quote:
mick
Mick,

I didn't think I needed to write the part about "except for Mick" because I figured it was obvious.

Z
YU.P. There's nothing quite as comforting as a solid partner that is willing to help us out.

Yet, we've all worked with that newer official or the perpetually sub-varsity official who, at times, will be all over the court and on every line, a habit developed as a survivial technique from working with newbees in too many games. (Heck, many of us have been that newer official.)

Eventually, they/we have to break the practice of stealing lines and to work on trusting our partners.
So, we have a saying for that new partner that regularly whistles our lines: "You owe me *2-bits*."

mick
Old Sat Feb 19, 2005, 07:55am
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]

Eventually, they/we have to break the practice of stealing lines and to work on trusting our partners.
So, we have a saying for that new partner that regularly whistles our lines: "You owe me *2-bits*."

[/B][/QUOTE]I use a different saying. I tell 'em "You call my line again, I'm gonna stick your whistle right up your ...".

Works for me.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2005, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

I had a game earlier this year where the lead did not blow the whistle when the ball went out on the endline (the ball went out right in front of him). I was C and the T just stood there and looked at him until he blew his whistle. At halftime the T (who was a former D1 official) said that in D1 you get downgraded on evals and sometimes fined if you call your partner's line, even if he doesn't, unless of course it's one of those balls right on the corner and looks like it could be either end line or sideline. I guess the thought is that a D1 official won't do this?
Old Sat Feb 19, 2005, 11:13am
Do not give a damn!!

There is absolutely no reason a Lead cannot at the very least know the ball went out on their line. They might not know who last touched it or how it got there, but the lead has to know where the ball is anyway. How are you going to know when to rotate if you do not know where the ball is?

Peace
Old Sat Feb 19, 2005, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Rarely happens, but if you are reffing where you CAME from as you rotate, you might not be aware a ball went out on the endline. I would appreciate my C putting a whistle on this one and be prepared to give me help on the call.

Mulk