Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
HAHAHAHA.....

Very funny......

Methinks you have an awful lot to learn about professionalism. And integrity. Making comments about your partner during the game like that to players is about as unprofessional as you can get. And to say that you "about died laughing" at him during the game is just as bad imo.

Sorry, but I'd rather go out on the floor with the old guy any day rather than you. At least, I'd know that I'd be able to turn my back on him.

PS-Did I mention that maybe the assignor put him on those games because he had no one else available, and that he really appreciated the old guy helping out, even though he had to suffer through the games with his bad legs?
Maintaining my professionalism during the game I described in the OP was difficult, but I did it. Maybe someone caught a bewildered look on my face at times. I even tried to watch out for that. What may have been the toughest part was the next night.

I worked a game that included one of the schools from the trainwreck night, though at a different level (8th to JV). Apparently the JV coach was helping out the younger team. He remembered me. I really wanted to apologize for the night before. What I decided was to let my work show for itself. I don't think I heard anything from him during the game. If he didn't before, he should now know where the problem was.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy

You didn't mention if this partner was newer or more "experienced" than you. That would have an effect on how you handle them. Also, did the school hire the officials, or did it come through an assignor? If you deal with an assignor, I would let them know your concerns.
I'm in my 4th season, this guy is newer, but has worked at least two seasons.

The game was given to me by an assignor who will not be assigning next season. I suppose I need to wait and talk to the next assignor. Maybe I should ask the current assignor if anyone else has voiced concerns about this guy
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Hey guys -

Thanks for the comments. I understand your comments regarding my professionalism errrr.....lack of professionalism. I do understand that it wasn't right for me to say, but I got caught up in the heat of the moment with large amounts of frustration. I am sorry.

I was the only one that was assigned to this game by the assignor. The other guy just pretty much comes with the gym as he is a local.

I guess the other problem I had with last night is I ref a pretty neutral game. Honestly I could care less who wins as long as everyone plays hard, has a good time, and is safe. I felt that from the end of the first half, my partner was not going to let the visiting team beat his hometown. I can't stand this more than anything. Kids, coaches, parents, etc. need to know how to lose as much as they need to know how to win. The visiting should've easily won this game, but got beat by 10. At one point in the 3rd quarter the fouls were like 12 to 1 (home team) and it wasn't that physical of a game. That is all I am going to say about that. I just think it is unfortunate for the kids that the game isn't played fair.

Thanks for the posts guys!

Mr. Motivation

PS - The highlight of the night during the JV game.......A DUNK by one of the reserves. It was great!
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmotivation
Hey guys -

Thanks for the comments. I understand your comments regarding my professionalism errrr.....lack of professionalism. I do understand that it wasn't right for me to say, but I got caught up in the heat of the moment with large amounts of frustration. I am sorry.

I was the only one that was assigned to this game by the assignor. The other guy just pretty much comes with the gym as he is a local.

I guess the other problem I had with last night is I ref a pretty neutral game. Honestly I could care less who wins as long as everyone plays hard, has a good time, and is safe. I felt that from the end of the first half, my partner was not going to let the visiting team beat his hometown. I can't stand this more than anything. Kids, coaches, parents, etc. need to know how to lose as much as they need to know how to win. The visiting should've easily won this game, but got beat by 10. At one point in the 3rd quarter the fouls were like 12 to 1 (home team) and it wasn't that physical of a game. That is all I am going to say about that. I just think it is unfortunate for the kids that the game isn't played fair.

Thanks for the posts guys!

Mr. Motivation

PS - The highlight of the night during the JV game.......A DUNK by one of the reserves. It was great!
MrMotivation,

This forum has been an extremely valuable tool to me. You may be able to learn a lot here. My game management skills and comfort level on the court have greatly improved.

I'm glad you reacted to the comments as you did.
Old Sun Feb 04, 2007, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartsy
MrMotivation,

This forum has been an extremely valuable tool to me. You may be able to learn a lot here. My game management skills and comfort level on the court have greatly improved.

I agree! I had a rough stretch about mid-season and began to question whether officiating was a fit for me, so I started a thread about game management. The responses were invaluable. Since that post (and a couple more) I've managed situations better, and am a more confident and capable official, although I admit still being a rookie with much to learn.

I don't always write, but there are many of us reading and learning...thanks to all who participate!