The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Get In, Get Done, Get Out

It's been a while, but last night was one of those where I just wanted to get off the court and go home. The problem was I didn't know how to handle my partner, and it just made us both look bad.

He was rarely in position, didn't know where to go for throw ins, whether a throw in was his to administer or mine, called my OOB lines, didn't point directions, didn't raise an arm to stop clock (so I was clueless if he had a foul or violation), everything you could do wrong he did. To top it off, his rules knowledge seemed weak, and his judgement marginal.

Early on in our two game set, he called a foul at the baseline (where I was administering a throw in) from the OPPOSITE BASELINE!!! I saw the contact clearly, and it was insignificant. I knew then (actually even before) it was going to be a long night. He even mentioned this call at halftime, wondering why there was such a heated reaction to his call.

Another time, I was sideline in transition, with a play coming toward me. The ball was passed down the sideline, bounces in bounds, and may have been caught in bounds, but from across court I hear a whistle. Again, no stop clock signal. I didn't know what he had, so I make eye contact and wait. He comes in and says "was that OOB?" After the game, he jumps me, and says he was hoping to get some help on that call. BTW, this was under 2 minutes left in a 2 point game.

Anything to do in these cases other than Get In, Get Done, Get Out? I didn't know where to start with this guy. Nothing I said or did seemed to register with him. Would it have helped to really hammer him with all this at halftime and between games?
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartsy
After the game, he jumps me, and says he was hoping to get some help on that call.
I'm interested in what folks have to say on the rest of your post, but as for this one it would get a pretty strong and direct reaction from me - "You're not getting help on a bad call when you're calling out of position and I don't even have a clue what your call is..."
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 03:19pm
In Memoriam

Question

Quote:
Another time, I was sideline in transition, with a play coming toward me. The ball was passed down the sideline, bounces in bounds, and may have been caught in bounds, but from across court I hear a whistle. Again, no stop clock signal. I didn't know what he had, so I make eye contact and wait. He comes in and says "was that OOB?" After the game, he jumps me, and says he was hoping to get some help on that call. BTW, this was under 2 minutes left in a 2 point game.
When he asked you the question, what did you do?
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 03:32pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Anything to do in these cases other than Get In, Get Done, Get Out?
Nope.

You can't make chicken soup out of chicken sh!t.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

The one thing I do is make sure I never work with that guy again.
Did you talk to him at half and tell him to stay in his area, or anything along those lines? We have a guy in our Assoc. that cant quit watching the ball and loves making calls all over the court. I've blocked him as a partner and I know several others who have as well. I would have let him know right away that you're not helping him on that call because it was your call in your area and what the HE$$ is he doing trying to make that call.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

the only thing you can do is that if you sense your partner is inexperienced and needs some help before halftime, try to offer it. I work a few rec leagues and end up working with inexperienced officials frequently. if you can figure out if he wants to learn, you can probably help him enough with a halftime crash course to make it through another half of basketball without any issues. if he doesn't want your help/advice, i'd pray to the referee Gods for a smooth rest of game. It sounds like he was an amateur rookie at best, but we've all been there.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
When he asked you the question, what did you do?
I asked him, "Are you Old School, by chance?"

No. Really, I just looked at him quizically for a second, until he went rambling on to something else. I was already packed so I made a run for it at that point.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Are you aware that Coca-cola through the nose HURTS????

Now come up here and clean off my screen and keyboard!!!!!!
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75
Are you aware that Coca-cola through the nose HURTS????

Now come up here and clean off my screen and keyboard!!!!!!
Just goes to show the dangers of drinking & typing....
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You didn't mention if this partner was newer or more "experienced" than you. That would have an effect on how you handle them. Also, did the school hire the officials, or did it come through an assignor? If you deal with an assignor, I would let them know your concerns.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
It was disappointing to open this thread and find out it was about officiating . . .

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

It all depends on how comfortable you are with confrontation. I had partner issues on Friday that amazed both myself and the coaches but not to the extent you described.

My Friday partner granted a time out to the team on defense as the offense was bringing the ball up the court and then said "No, No, you don't have the ball so you cannot have a timeout" At the half I told him that when an official grants a time out, he grants a time out whether or not you kicked the possession situation. He had even started to the table to report the TO.

I did it in a friendly manner so as not to have to work the second half just carrying him.

BTW - He wasn't Old School either.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 05:08pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I'm a newer ref and started the year listening and watching a great many more experienced officials who helped me with my mechanics and counseled and mentored me on the many things I did wrong. Mostly mechanics and technique, but a few rules too. But, as several of you pointed out - I am open to suggestions and want to learn and get better.

Now, when I do Rec League games, I try to help the others too. But, "they" have to want to learn and get better. If they don't want to get better, nothing you try will work and they go on the "I won't ref with them list."

Hmm, I wonder why I never ref with the same guy twice?
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 06:06pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
If you did not have a pre-game, it must've been tough. But if you had 2 games with this guy, it would have been prudent to pull out the ol' pre-game card and map it out for him. At least in the 2nd game you would know if he was both clueless AND non-responsive.

The Old School comment was a real killer!
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
It was disappointing to open this thread and find out it was about officiating . . .
That's funny.