Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
It was disappointing to open this thread and find out it was about officiating . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaellis
That's funny.
Only to a man...
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 06:41pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Only to a man...
I am sure adolescents would find it to be humorous as well.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
I am sure adolescents would find it to be humorous as well.
you're right. I should have said, "only to a boy..."
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 06:47pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Only to a man...
Well, isn't that sexist?

Are you saying that every woman in the world wouldn't maybe find just the slightest touch of humor in that statement just because you didn't?

"Tsk, tsk, tsk" I say!
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Well, isn't that sexist?

Are you saying that every woman in the world wouldn't maybe find just the slightest touch of humor in that statement just because you didn't?

"Tsk, tsk, tsk" I say!

Hey, I corrected myself. I suppose there might be some women who think a certain saying is a relief, but I doubt there are too many that think it's funny. Personlly, I'm glad it only applies to basketball.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sheesh ..

It was a humorous comment.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaellis
Sheesh ..

It was a humorous comment.
Yep, I didn't mean to cause a firestorm - but it was funny! LOL

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 01:38am
(Something hilarious)

Thumbs up

Quote:
(Insert clapping smileys image here) Refreshing, as always, rainmaker. Nice work.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 01:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hey, I corrected myself. I suppose there might be some women who think a certain saying is a relief, but I doubt there are too many that think it's funny. Personlly, I'm glad it only applies to basketball.
Sheesh, what's got your panties in such a wad?

Wait, did I just say "panties" on a baseketball forum? I did. Hey, that's funny.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 02:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartsy
It's been a while, but last night was one of those where I just wanted to get off the court and go home. The problem was I didn't know how to handle my partner, and it just made us both look bad.

He was rarely in position, didn't know where to go for throw ins, whether a throw in was his to administer or mine, called my OOB lines, didn't point directions, didn't raise an arm to stop clock (so I was clueless if he had a foul or violation), everything you could do wrong he did. To top it off, his rules knowledge seemed weak, and his judgement marginal.

Early on in our two game set, he called a foul at the baseline (where I was administering a throw in) from the OPPOSITE BASELINE!!! I saw the contact clearly, and it was insignificant. I knew then (actually even before) it was going to be a long night. He even mentioned this call at halftime, wondering why there was such a heated reaction to his call.

Another time, I was sideline in transition, with a play coming toward me. The ball was passed down the sideline, bounces in bounds, and may have been caught in bounds, but from across court I hear a whistle. Again, no stop clock signal. I didn't know what he had, so I make eye contact and wait. He comes in and says "was that OOB?" After the game, he jumps me, and says he was hoping to get some help on that call. BTW, this was under 2 minutes left in a 2 point game.

Anything to do in these cases other than Get In, Get Done, Get Out? I didn't know where to start with this guy. Nothing I said or did seemed to register with him. Would it have helped to really hammer him with all this at halftime and between games?

Hartsy,

I am pretty sure that we were both reffing with the same guy this week. You had him last night and I had him tonight. Thanks for saving all my typing time by already doing it for me.

The 60+ year old (veteran supposedly) guy I had tonight was okay (more towards bad than good) with making calls, but he was TERRIBLE with mechanics. I mean ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE. He would inbound the ball from the inside underneath, then he would run straight up the middle of the court. There were many times tonight that we would both be on the same side of the court because he would not rotate.

When he would call a foul, play would rarely stop because he wouldn't put enough air into his Fox40 to make loud. Then once the foul would be called, there was no signal other than pointing at the kid who fouled. When he would go over to report the foul, he would walk up the one stair, place his hands on the scorer's table, and basically explain to them what happened.

THIS WAS A JV GAME............not a junior high game.

It got to be so bad that it even started to become a big joke. The players would ask me, "Was that a foul?" and I would tell them, "When you know, would you let me know?" He gave me absolutely no indication what the call was before he went over to the bench. There were fouls called that clearly were in the act of shooting and he would tell me (after I had both teams all lined up ready to shoot free throws) that it was on the floor because the guy pushed him when he was going up (isn't that the act of shooting?).

The best part of the night was when he called a charge (that clearly wasn't a charge, but a body foul as the defender ran up and into the guy with the ball) and it fouled the kid out. The kid went to the bench and a replacement was sent. I had everyone ready to go while he was over the bench and then he comes over to ask me.........."Who was the foul on again?" I about died laughing as did the coach.

This was a good ol' boy (hometown hero) so that didn't help matters. The visiting coach came up to me and told me thanks for doing as much as I could to make the game as smooth as possible. He know how tough it was for me and how frustrated I was, but thank goodness he said "Well, you've done 3 JV and one V for us, so I know that you are good."

Hopefully tomorrow night brings a better partner or hopefully I am just on a one man crew. HAHAHAHHAHA!

Mr. Motivation

PS - Did I forget to mention that the guy went in the locker room at both halves of the doubleheader and between games to apply Icy Hot so that he could make it through?
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 02:37am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Sheesh, what's got your panties in such a wad?

Wait, did I just say "panties" on a baseketball forum? I did. Hey, that's funny.
Only to a man......
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Hawkeye:

Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 09:17am
In Memoriam

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmotivation
It got to be so bad that it even started to become a big joke. The players would ask me, "Was that a foul?" and I would tell them, "When you know, would you let me know?"

I had everyone ready to go while he was over the bench and then he comes over to ask me.........."Who was the foul on again?" I about died laughing as did the coach.

HAHAHAHHAHA!

PS - Did I forget to mention that the guy went in the locker room at both halves of the doubleheader and between games to apply Icy Hot so that he could make it through?
HAHAHAHA.....

Very funny......

Methinks you have an awful lot to learn about professionalism. And integrity. Making comments about your partner during the game like that to players is about as unprofessional as you can get. And to say that you "about died laughing" at him during the game is just as bad imo.

Sorry, but I'd rather go out on the floor with the old guy any day rather than you. At least, I'd know that I'd be able to turn my back on him.

PS-Did I mention that maybe the assignor put him on those games because he had no one else available, and that he really appreciated the old guy helping out, even though he had to suffer through the games with his bad legs?
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 09:26am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
The players would ask me, "Was that a foul?" and I would tell them, "When you know, would you let me know?"
I understand that there's a lot of frustration in your post. I know I wasn't there to see how bad it was. But I have to say that I think that the comment I quoted above -- especially when made to players -- is very unprofessional. As you yourself said, this was Junior Varsity, not Junior High. I would expect my partner, even if he knew I was having a horrible night, not to make comments like this -- during the game or after.

He's your only teammate out there and if you sell him out to another team, what kind of teammate does that make you? We need to be very careful about what we say about our partners to non-referees.

I know you're new to the forum, and I'm not trying to discourage you from posting in the future. I'm just giving you my opinion about how I try to conduct myself on the court. JMO.

(Edit: I see that Jurassic made kind of the same point. I'm not trying to pile on, honest. But I guess I pretty much agree with him.)
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 09:47am
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
The 60+ year old (veteran supposedly) guy I had tonight was okay (more towards bad than good) with making calls, but he was TERRIBLE with mechanics.
60+, eh?
Last night I worked with a 25 yr.-old.