Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 08:38pm
In Memoriam

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
I don't get this business about taking care of it. What's to take care of? It isn't vulgar. Maybe a bit distasteful, but hey, they have free speech rights. If the administrator wants to deal with it, they can, but I'm not doing anything about it, first minute or last.
You are misusing the "Right".
In the case noted, "Free Speech" does not apply.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't get this business about taking care of it. What's to take care of? It isn't vulgar. Maybe a bit distasteful, but hey, they have free speech rights. If the administrator wants to deal with it, they can, but I'm not doing anything about it, first minute or last.
The referee has the freedom to have them silenced (by having them removed) and that trumps their right to free speech.

Note....I'm not saying the referee should have them removed...just that they could.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
OP here...I asked the AD to remove the chanters from the gym.

Every game in this area starts with a speech read over the PA system about good sportsmanship on the part of the fans. I felt as though the chanting of "We got screwed!" was an egregious violation of that statement and warranted action. That having been said, I might not do the same thing---with 22 seconds left in the game, getting done and getting out might be the best strategy.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

IMO, the kids should be removed for not using the first part of the cheer. "Nuts and Bolts, Nuts and Bolts."

The first time I heard that, it was at the state tourney when I was in MS, and everybody from our school's section was doing it, adults and parents included. Needless to say, my HS never won much in the way of sportsmanship awards.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 11:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Free speech isn't relevant here. I'd most likely ignore it; but it's not about "free speech."
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Have we as a society become so mindnumbingly stupid as to believe that "free speech" really means that anybody can say anything they like, any time they like, any where they like, and there is never any recourse? A whole bunch of people need sent back for a remedial civics lesson. But before you go, let me tell you what I really think...
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 11:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Have we as a society become so mindnumbingly stupid as to believe that "free speech" really means that anybody can say anything they like, any time they like, any where they like, and there is never any recourse? A whole bunch of people need sent back for a remedial civics lesson. But before you go, let me tell you what I really think...
Ray, you really need to stop holding it in; it's only going to hurt you in the long run.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Ray, you really need to stop holding it in; it's only going to hurt you in the long run.
I just feel a certain amount of restraint is good in a forum like this
Old Tue Jan 30, 2007, 01:36am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Me too.....
Old Tue Jan 30, 2007, 01:47am
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
This is the same (very large) group of people that believe they (or their children) have an inalienable "right" to play youth team sports, and then intramural team sports in college.
Old Tue Jan 30, 2007, 09:34am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
You have wisdom beyond my years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Me too.....
You too.