LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 06, 2001, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Flannery
This is a college rule, and the state of california uses the college rule for shot clocks.
Got an NCAA rule reference for that? I honestly think you're incorrect. I'm going to pull out my NCAA rulebook, but I'm almost sure that if the offensive team is going to retain the ball after the AP, they get the unexpired time.
I agree with Chuck. The clock shot is only *not* reset if the defense causes the held ball. This is not the case here, so the shot clock *is* reset. See Rule 2.13.6c and the exceptions 2.13.7d and h.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2001, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

In the yearly packet we get from the NCAA 2001 - 2002 Officiating Program. Under the Shot clock situations, it talks about this play. Under D #6 it says that if it is simultainiously grabbed by both A and B then you have a reset. This is what I was saying in the earlier post. The key thing is who gets the ball first A or B or both at the same time.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2001, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Dennis, is there any rationale given for that ruling? It seems to be at odds with the normal reset rules: 1) hit the rim; 2) defensive foul; 3) kick; 4) change of possession.

What's the reasoning behind this ruling? Is any given?

Chuck
Old Tue Nov 06, 2001, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Chuck,

Here is logic behind new shot clock on this play.

Rule 2-13.6.c The shot clock operator shall stop the timing device and reset it when a held ball occurs. (Exceptions as follow)

Exc 2-13.7.d Stop the timing device and continue time without a reset when play begins under the following circumstances: During team control as defined in 4-13, a defensive player causes a held ball and the AP arrow favors the offensive team.

Exc 2-13.7.g Stop the timing device and continue time without a reset when play begins under the following circumstances: After any technical foul.....
this has nothing to do with the play in question.

Under the first exception listed above, there must be team control. Since the airball was simultaneously possessed by both teams, this criteria was not met. Therefore there must be a reset of the shot clock.

If Team A had momentarily possessed the shot and then was tied up by Team B, there would be no reset.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2001, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle

Exc 2-13.7.d Stop the timing device and continue time without a reset when play begins under the following circumstances: During team control as defined in 4-13, a defensive player causes a held ball and the AP arrow favors the offensive team.
In other words, the exception only comes into play if there is a held ball while there is team control. I guess I can live with that, although I don't really see why they should make that stipulation. Thanks for the clarification. Now I gotta go dig through my rule book to see for myself

Chuck
Old Tue Nov 06, 2001, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle
(snip)

Rule 2-13.6.c .... (Exceptions as follow)

Exc 2-13.7.d ...

Exc 2-13.7.g ...
I think there's a typo in the NCAA rule book. The two exceptions should be 2-13.7d and 2-13.7h (*not* 2-13.7g, which is what's printed).

h . After a simultaneous held ball as described in Rule 7-4.1.g occurs
during a throw-in and the alternating-possession arrow favors
the throw-in team.

which then refers to

7-4.1 The ball shall be awarded out of bounds after:
g . A held ball as in Rule 4-35.

Aargh!!! This refers to

4-35 Definition of held ball.

Gotta love rule books!