The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
No, it's not. Is is counted toward one of the five fouls for disqualification, though.

Right. Wrong choice of words.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Upon further study..... I agree that a technical foul is not a personal foul (this I knew before) but as the rule state subs come after the first free throw on a multiple free throw personal foul. This would mean that if a sub is available before the first on a T, you can allow them by rule. It'd be nice if this was a casebook play. I'll check my rules study software tonight and see if it has been in the casebook recently.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
In the immortal words of Sgt. Hulka, "Lighten up, Francis."

This assistant coach was attempting to help defuse a bad situation, and for the ref to pull out the big stop sign at that point is ridiculous.

So are you going to let Johnny sitting at the end of the bench make the same comment? Bench personnel is bench personnel. There is no difference between a bench player and an assistant coach. If anything needs to be said, let the HC handle it. I think that in that situation, the sub probably should have been let in just to help difuse the situation, but either way, the assistant coach should just be quiet.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 12:22pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jway44
So are you going to let Johnny sitting at the end of the bench make the same comment? Bench personnel is bench personnel. There is no difference between a bench player and an assistant coach. If anything needs to be said, let the HC handle it. I think that in that situation, the sub probably should have been let in just to help difuse the situation, but either way, the assistant coach should just be quiet.
If the "bench personnel" are trying to help defuse the situation, I'm sure not going to get on the old high horse and hit them with the Stop sign...
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
If the "bench personnel" are trying to help defuse the situation, I'm sure not going to get on the old high horse and hit them with the Stop sign...
You've got to have an alternate plan, DJ, you CAN'T get on the old high horse.

Okay, seriously, I can see your point. So what do you do? Answer the question of why not? Ignore the Asst? What?
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 12:30pm
Huck Finn

A perfect illustration of why I don't care for the stop sign. It seems as though this assistant was trying to help the situation. What if it was an irate coach instead of a player? If the assistant was trying to calm the coach down and told you so would you give him the almighty stop sign? BTW, I haven't reported it lately, but I got my stop sign down to .347 seconds and pulled a muscle. I've been given muscle relaxers and was told to refrain from using the stop sign for the rest of the season. My stop sign will be ready for summer leagues though.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

In that situation, the stop sign was not necessary. But the only reason that I could figure that he gave one was because it was the assistant that was doing the talking.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
A perfect illustration of why I don't care for the stop sign. It seems as though this assistant was trying to help the situation. What if it was an irate coach instead of a player? If the assistant was trying to calm the coach down and told you so would you give him the almighty stop sign? BTW, I haven't reported it lately, but I got my stop sign down to .347 seconds and pulled a muscle. I've been given muscle relaxers and was told to refrain from using the stop sign for the rest of the season. My stop sign will be ready for summer leagues though.
A stop sign in summer leagues? When we're not getting paid full price? I just use the T sign.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 12:46pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
You've got to have an alternate plan, DJ, you CAN'T get on the old high horse.

Okay, seriously, I can see your point. So what do you do? Answer the question of why not? Ignore the Asst? What?
I don't get it...

I will more than likely let the sub come in and get the little problem-child off the court...I really have no problem talking with assistant coaches in a situation like this one...now if that assistant is chirping, arguing, helping me ref, etc, that's a different story...but the stop sign in this situation was - as I said before - ridiculous.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 01:01pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
In the immortal words of Sgt. Hulka, "Lighten up, Francis."
Here's to Rockyroad, our new "Big Toe!"

Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

I'm about as anti ***'t Coaches as anyone. The only think I ever want to hear from them is "No NO it was a good call" to the head coach.

But IMHO, this is waaay over the top in heavy-handedness.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 01:05pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Here's to Rockyroad, our new "Big Toe!"

That's the facts, Jack!!
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

I agree that the stop sign was probably because I was the assistant and it probably didn't help that the HC was already sitting on a T from earlier, but as I've said before coaches are people just like officials. Talk to the assistant coach in this case or as I said in the OP tell the HC you don't want to hear from the AC, but the stop sign is childish.

That being said...when I'm officiating I don't mind responding (especially in this case during, a dead ball, in close proximity, not yelling) to an assistant's respectful question or request.

BTW...HC in this case after the game said to me that he enjoyed coaching from his seat and he might try it the rest of the season
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbruno
Is that you the very knowledgable NR assitant coach and capable official?
In the virtual flesh.

Unbelievable game last night. Down by as much as 18 and won it at the buzzer.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz
BTW...HC in this case after the game said to me that he enjoyed coaching from his seat and he might try it the rest of the season
It's funny but I've had a couple of coaches that seem to coach better when they are sitting. When these coaches are standing they feel they have to put on a coaching show for the parents, fans, players, etc. They feel the need to show everyone that they are "coaching" or "working the officials". This is just my observation with a few coaches.