The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 29, 2001, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

...and I'd have to agree with Tim. Usually--and especially in a heated game--there's no way I'm gettin' within ear/eye shot of the table, let alone the coach(es). Check the book before the game's over, and steal a quick glance when the horn goes off to ensure validity. Then I'm outta there!
Old Mon Oct 29, 2001, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow

I don't think the game is over. The rule(s) obviously states the scorebook of the home team shall be the official book/score. So if the home book has a tied score, the game goes into overtime. The fact that the officials left the floor seems irrevelent to me. What if the scorebook and the score borad had a tie score and the officials left the floor. Would the game be over, I think not. Also, who/where does it state that the score board is the official score-it does state that the home book is the official score. I am thinking that the officials approved a tied game when they left the floor. I am not aware of anyting/anywhere that says anything about the score board being the official score. What if the home team used a card system to keep the score posted-and not an electronic scoring. Does the "cards" become the official score.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2001, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Bobby, I don't think anyone is arguing that the scoreboard is the official score. It's more a discussion of "Can the officials return to the floor since the final score was approved when they left the confines?". We all understand that the home book is the official score.

The NF has struggled with the wording on the jurisdiction rule for three years now. It appears that there needs to be something to the effect that someone needs to be ahead when the final score is approved.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Oct 29, 2001, 05:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Game is over at that point.

Quote:
Originally posted by APHP
I don't think the game is over. The rule(s) obviously states the scorebook of the home team shall be the official book/score. So if the home book has a tied score, the game goes into overtime. The fact that the officials left the floor seems irrevelent to me. What if the scorebook and the score borad had a tie score and the officials left the floor. Would the game be over, I think not. Also, who/where does it state that the score board is the official score-it does state that the home book is the official score. I am thinking that the officials approved a tied game when they left the floor. I am not aware of anyting/anywhere that says anything about the score board being the official score. What if the home team used a card system to keep the score posted-and not an electronic scoring. Does the "cards" become the official score.
In NF, the score is approved when the all officials leave the vicinity of the court. So if everyone is going by the scoreboard and everyone is reacting to the scoreboard, that has to be the score. The home book and the scoreboard better be the same or there is going to be a problem. That is why any scoreboard problem has to be addressed immediately if noticed. But officials should make an effort in between quarters and during certain timeouts to make sure everything is a go. Usually if you are paying attention to who scored and when, you can avoid these problems. You should always be looking at the scoreboard from time to time, especially if there is a problem should be address at that moment. Good officials (and good officials make mistakes) should be watching and monotoring what they put up there. If not, you will have further problems down the line.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 29, 2001, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Game is over at that point.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

In NF, the score is approved when the all officials leave the vicinity of the court. So if everyone is going by the scoreboard and everyone is reacting to the scoreboard, that has to be the score.
Say what? Care to provide a rule that staes that the scoreboard is the official score, Rut?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Oct 29, 2001, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Walter, great story, glad to hear you did the right thing
and played the OT.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2001, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
Sorry, In American NF and NCAA basketball. The game is considered official when all officials have left the visual confines of the court. No signature necessary. Actually we sign the book before the game. The correct procedure is sometime during the stretch, A timeout or dead ball is used to check to make sure the scorebook and scoreboard is correct. Then when the horn sounds, we "exit, stage right" immediately. If I have to cross the court to leave, I will glance at the table to see if there is a chance of them bringing us back for any reason. Then I get out of Dodge fast.
Actually I don't "sign" my name, I print it. Coaches
ratings are a big deal! If I don't care about a rating
I don't even put my name in the book. Sometimes I just write
in "Mick"!
Old Tue Oct 30, 2001, 01:51am
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

Actually I don't "sign" my name, I print it. Coaches
ratings are a big deal! If I don't care about a rating
I don't even put my name in the book. Sometimes I just write
in "Mick"!
I knew a guy who always signed his as "Stevie Wonder." This is the same guy who told our assignor that he was late one night because there was a disruption in the space - time continuum.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2001, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

I took the other approach.

Last year I was working at a small school where you have to work the Jv then the Varsity game.

The JV game was close, and I personally checked with the both book after the 3rd quarter, during 3 time outs during the 4th quarter (1 which occured with about 12 seconds left), and before I left the floor. Long story short, I had to explain a ruling to the visiting coach before I left, while my partner was already in the locker room. Since I was at the bench instead of looking for the "wave" from the bench, I asked both books if they matched and were correct, got a yes from both and I left the floor.

Came out for the Varsity warm up and they told us the score was actually tied. We told them it was going to stay that way. Neither my partner nor I hesitated in not bringing the JV kids back, and we were backed up by our interpreter.

We have been through this "fairness" thing many times on this board. Short of me keeping the book myself, as a crew we did all we could. By rule, we could not resume the game, even if we thought it would be the "fair" thing to do.

Has anyone looked (I didn't) is there a casebook sitch?