The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 27, 2001, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

hey guys

I have watched this particular coach in a number of different games, and he is very vocal towards the officials. I have worked some of his scrimmage or pick up games that his teams have played, and he is always arguing about calls. It's not just toward me, but to every official that works his games (in a scrimmage or regulation). It doesn't upset me that he argues, but I think it really represents his school poorly and teaches his players poor habits in dealing with officials. Any advice on how to handle this situation toward getting the coach to be a little more quiet. He doesn't really say anything that would assess a T. I just think that his bickering is a little ridiculous. Remember, I'm a rookie ref.

thanks
jeremy
Old Sat Oct 27, 2001, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy40
hey guys

I have watched this particular coach in a number of different games, and he is very vocal towards the officials. I have worked some of his scrimmage or pick up games that his teams have played, and he is always arguing about calls. It's not just toward me, but to every official that works his games (in a scrimmage or regulation). It doesn't upset me that he argues, but I think it really represents his school poorly and teaches his players poor habits in dealing with officials. Any advice on how to handle this situation toward getting the coach to be a little more quiet. He doesn't really say anything that would assess a T. I just think that his bickering is a little ridiculous. Remember, I'm a rookie ref.

thanks
jeremy
Jeremy, there's no reason that any 1 thing need be said
in order to get a T. It's possible that an "accumulation
of BS" would be enough, *IF* the coach was distracting you
from your job. Give a firm warning that you're not going
to take anymore ("that's enough coach!" works, said loudly
while giving him the stop sign) then T him the next time
he squawks. But it sounds to me like this guy isn't really
bothering you all that much, which is a good thing. So
my advice to you is to not worry about how silly he's
acting, we don't have the authority or responsibility
to prevent coaches from making jerks of themselves.
Old Sat Oct 27, 2001, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up BE Polite -Be Firm

Dan Ref is correct,however if this coach is distracting you from focussing on your game or your partner's give him a POLITE warning that you will not put up with any more of his comments concerning the officiating. After the warning give him a direct T for every time he makes a derogatory comment towards the officials. Be consistent and be firm and do it EARLY!!! If all the people working his games do the same he will adjust, I guarantee it! You all have to be Consistent in how you handle this person and all those like him/her.
Go for it!
Pistol
Old Sat Oct 27, 2001, 02:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Read the situation.

I have literally done several things to handle complaining coaches. Here are some things I have done that have worked in differnet sitauations.

(These have no order, just some things I have done)

1. Stand directly in front of a coach---Most coaches do not have the heart or the courage to say much to you when you are standing directly in front of them. Doing this also shows that you are not afraid of them. Most coaches complain because they feel that they can intimidate you. Stand directly in front of them (when play or time permits it) makes them put up or shut up. This also give time for you to quietly address them without it being a shouting match.

2. Use a timeout-----Use this rarely but usually works especially if both coaches are getting out of hand. When the coaches call a timeout and both are paying attention. Or you can even so so right after the timeout, call both coaches over to the scorers table area, and tell them what will and what will not be tolerated. Keep it brief and afterwards walk away without giving a response to either coach. Your purpose is to use this as a warning. If you do this, this should be the last resort before giving a T. If coach or coaches do not heed the warning, then do what you have to do. Never be afraid to T a coach for complaining all night. Use this only to prevent one if you can.

3. Ask this question---"Coach are you questioning my integrity?" Only do this when a coach is question you all night about "foul counts," "calling it both ways," "being fair to our kids" or anything that suggest that you are favoring one team over another. I started using this last year and used it a few times. Each time I used this statement, the coach changed their behavior. And usually they apoligize for what they have said previously. Most coaches realize that if you precieve that they are questioning their integrity, they are calling you a cheater. And they know that you have every right to give them a T if you are a "cheater" by his/her words.

Now these are things that have worked for me at different times in cetain situation more than once. These have worked for me, but you might find that they do not work for you. But always remember, if the coaches roll the dice, they just might crap out. So your tolerance might not be my tolerance. If you feel that the coach has crossed the line, do not feel bad for pulling the trigger. They will learn next time to be careful in the use of their words the next time they comment and the next time they see you. And your T might change behavior down the line for another official they see. Remember, if a coach is on the lower levels, he or she is learning just like you are. They might not realize what the line is because no one has told them or pointed it out for them. So if you feel it necessary to take action, just make sure you do it with little emotion and a clear head.

Hope that helps

Peace and Good luck.
Old Sat Oct 27, 2001, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Jeremy,
Rut has his own unique style-Use With ExtremeCare,
Pistol
Old Sat Oct 27, 2001, 05:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Wink Worked for me in all my sports.

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Devana
Jeremy,
Rut has his own unique style-Use With ExtremeCare,
Pistol
It is not unique and it is not extreme. I have had several officials do these thing and have taught me and several other officials the same thing.

In #1, this is the most common of all ways to handle coaches. You give them an opportunity to speak directly to you and of quality mind and if they had something of quality to ask or say to you, then they will say it. I would rather have them say something directly to me, then yelling across the court where I have not choice but to address it. Then I might not like the circumstances in which I have to give a T.

Even in the pregame, I tell my partners if the coach has a problem with one of my calls, tell him or her to ask when I am on their side of the court. If they have a legitimate beef, then I can easily explain to them what I called when I get a chance, and usually they have cooled off by the time I get to them. But having a partner say that "he will explain it to them when he gets a chance," is much better then them trying to yell accross the court and say something you have no choice but to give a T for.

But in #2 and #3, these work for strong personalities. If you have a weak personality or are afraid to tell a coach the deal, I would suggest that you do neither. But I guess I am unique that I personally do not walk a tightrope around coaches. I am the one in charge of the game, not them. I am the one that is asked to run the game with my partners, not them. And I realize that a coach/official relationship is going to have conflict. But I am the one that will be around when players, coaches and even many fans are no longer there anymore. So I so not spend my time worrying about what they complain about. I address it, and move on.

I guess my experience at the varsity level in Football, Basketball and Baseball in HS and college, this has worked in all situations for me. But then again, I am only one person. You have to officiate according to your personality, not mine.

Peace.
Old Sat Oct 27, 2001, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

You are absolutely correct when you say everyone has their own personality and individuality. Therefore one must handle these situations in their own way. A few things that all officials must have in common is that they are not Insecure , never Defensive, and always Calm and Polite.
YIBB
Pistol
Old Sun Oct 28, 2001, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

I agree

Hey Guys,

I completely agree with the methods described as a way of dealing with a vocal coach. I would also recommend having a chat to the coaches "boss", and maybe suggest that he is in fact doing his school/team/players a disservice.

Also, I find that I can use humour a lot of the time to help, but this only really works if you already have a good relationship with the coach in question. There are two coaches in my area that are reknown as being whingers, and many referees hate (or even refuse) to do their games. However, I have refereed literally hundreds of their games, and I have since found that the occasional sarcastic (yet good-natured) comment can help to diffuse the situation.

It's very hard for a coach to complain to you when they are grinning from ear to ear

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Sun Oct 28, 2001, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

This is something that I did in a football game but the same principal could work in a basketball game, I think.
The coach was begging from the get-go. Towards the end of the 1st half, there was a call, against his team, by another official. The coach complained, as he had been all game and I ignored him, as I had all game. He finally got right next to me and asked, "Don't I get an explanation?!"
I calmly said, "Coach, when you complain about every play like you have been, no, you don't get an explanation." He was much better in the second half. Again, use with care, this won't work with every coach."
Old Sun Oct 28, 2001, 08:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up A real good one.

Quote:
Originally posted by TC
This is something that I did in a football game but the same principal could work in a basketball game, I think.
The coach was begging from the get-go. Towards the end of the 1st half, there was a call, against his team, by another official. The coach complained, as he had been all game and I ignored him, as I had all game. He finally got right next to me and asked, "Don't I get an explanation?!"
I calmly said, "Coach, when you complain about every play like you have been, no, you don't get an explanation." He was much better in the second half. Again, use with care, this won't work with every coach."
Good one. I used something similar or made a similar comment as a wing official. But I like your comment better.

Peace