The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 21, 2007, 11:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

AAU - 10
Middle School - 19 (most times it's three per date)
JV - 15
Varsity - 4
This is through January; February's officials' schedule comes out this week here.
Not quite as much ball as I worked in Iowa.
Old Sun Jan 21, 2007, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

I am amazed at how many varsity games some of you get. In my area, almost all high school games are played on Tuesdays and Fridays and there are only 20 games in the season. Varsity double headers are unheard of. Typically, the boys play at home while the girls play the same school away. There are relatively few chances to work on other days, although I know one guy who picked up another 12 games from an assignor who has Monday and Wednesday games. I had a Friday game moved to Thursday last week and it took almost no time to get another Friday game -- since there are so few officials not scheduled on Fridays.

Last edited by BayStateRef; Sun Jan 21, 2007 at 11:52pm.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra
Just curious as to the number of games everyone is assigned during the regular HS season. We are short of officials in central Florida, so we usually get as many as we are willing to take. This year, it looks like I'll finish with 32 Varsity and 3 sub-varsity. Varsity qualified officials are in higher demand, thus more games are available to work if qualified.

What's the workload around the country?
I usually get about 12 -14 games a month and its a mixture of BV and GV, no JV. Feb is a slow month and I probably will get only 5 or so games. I am hoping I am worthy enough for post season this year!
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Womens College : 46
High School Var (Boy and Girls): 45
JV or Frosh: 8
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

I do about 60-80 games a year all middle school age travel games and AAU. Once I started coaching I gave up all my high school games.

BayState,

Do you do any games for Larry in the NEC/Cape Ann League?
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Actual High School games for a season that extends from after thanksgiving to the third week in February:

This year I am doing 45 games. Mostly JV with a few Varsity games mixed in as I am in the process of transitioning to the varsity level.

I also do a smattering of CYO games on weekends (3-4 at a time) for a total of another 15 or 20, including the diocesean championships that are three person mechanics.

Starting the end of March through The Middle of May, I will work 4 AAU games a weekend for approximately another 30 games. Starting in June, I work one specific high school summer league through the third week in July for another 50 games or so.

That totals about 140 - 150 games a year. Holy Crap!!!!! Where did all the money go????
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz
Do you do any games for Larry in the NEC/Cape Ann League?
No. I am south of Boston. I work in Bay State, Hockomock, South Shore, Atlantic Coast and Patriot for three assignors. I also get an occasional game in ISL (private prep) or charter schools from a fourth assignor.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

24 Varsity
11 Junior Varsity
2 8th Grade
1 College Junior Varsity

That is the schedule from December to 1st week of February. I could have worked much more but I try to give my legs a rest once or twice a week.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 10:50am
Official & Member

I am amazed at some of the workloads. I'm also surprised there aren't more threads about knee replacements.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Wow, I thought I worked alot until I read this thread. I work about 50 dates this season, Varsity every Tuesday, Friday and a handful of Saturdays. JV/Freshman games every Monday and Thursday. I work a handful of JUCO women's and College JV Men's as well. I meant to take far fewer games, but it didn't happen again this year. I meant to dump HS games that weren't varsity, but I have a hard time saying no to some of the AD's I've worked with for a long time. Besides that, I can either sit on the couch and relax or go out and make a little extra money on non-varsity nights. Since I'm an underpaid teacher , I choose to go work.