The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Sub Rule Basis ....

I've pondered why there is no substitutions allowed on the first of two free throws.

Any knowledge on logic as to WHY they are held at the table until after shot # 1?

- avoiding constant substitutions?
- not slowing the game down?
- protecting the new players from a lane foul?
- repalcing just for a rebound?
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Daddy
I've pondered why there is no substitutions allowed on the first of two free throws.

Any knowledge on logic as to WHY they are held at the table until after shot # 1?

- avoiding constant substitutions?
- not slowing the game down?
- protecting the new players from a lane foul?
- repalcing just for a rebound?
More than anything, I think this is a time saving issue. If you let players enter/exit before the first FT, then you have more subs come to the table during that FT, you have to go through the whole routine again.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 02:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Yup, it's just to speed the game up. That's also why when we do allow a player to substitute before the first shot (for injury, dq, blood, etc.), we let them all come in.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

I don't remember exactly when this changed, but it was within the last ten years. Before that change subs could enter prior to the first FT. The NFHS committee made the change to speed up the game, so that the sub process doesn't take place twice as W&S wrote.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Good thing the topic of substititing was brought up.

Are players allowed to substitute after the end of the 2nd shot even if it's a substitute for a non-shooter? IF so, why? Doesn't that slow down the game and give an advantage to the defensive team b/c they are allowed to set up their defense??

I've always had thoughts about that rule.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Depending on the shooter at the line you could have anywhere from a 90% to a 25% chance that the second shot is going in. If its missed, play on...
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwanr1
Good thing the topic of substititing was brought up.

Are players allowed to substitute after the end of the 2nd shot even if it's a substitute for a non-shooter? IF so, why? Doesn't that slow down the game and give an advantage to the defensive team b/c they are allowed to set up their defense??

I've always had thoughts about that rule.
The answer to your question is yes, if the FT is made, because that's the rule. It does let the defense set up if they properly utilize this opportunity.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
The answer to your question is yes, if the FT is made, because that's the rule. It does let the defense set up if they properly utilize this opportunity.
And the reason they allow it is because it is a dead ball...you can substitute on almost any dead ball, except that one before the first free throw, well most of the time anyway LOL

edited to relieve scrappers "smiley" face, dead balls after other made baskets are not included either....my bad....it has been a bad posting day today for me...my fingers are talking before my brain tells them to LOL

Last edited by cmathews; Mon Jan 22, 2007 at 03:46pm.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 03:42pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews
And the reason they allow it is because it is a dead ball...you can substitute on any dead ball,
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Subs before the 1st FT of 2 are inconsequential. There is no normal substitution that could have an impact on the game which could be made before the first FT but can't be made after the 1st FT. So, instead of creating two windows of time to make the exact same substitution, they eliminated the one that could have no impact and kept the one at a point that mattered.

In an endgame situation with regards to subbing after a made last FT...

The game situation can change relative to before the FT.

Before the FT, both team would likely prefer to have it's rebounders in the game (the shooting team may have enough trust in it's shooters to just keep their defenders in). After the FT, one team may prefer to have ball-handlers or shooters in the game and the other it's defenders. Or, one team my like to put in a certain set of players that have fouls to give.

Yes, this may benefit the defense but it may also benefit the offense...letting them get key personnel into the game at critical moments.