The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Question Personal Posession Keeper

I have in recent years always switched the spare whistle in my pocket to keep track of the posession arrow. In some of the camps I have attended, this practice was looked down on as something only a rookie would do. I thanked the advisors for the advice, and have continued to do it. I do try to change it without drawing attention to what I am doing. Other than a little extra wear on my pants pockets, it has worked well for me.

I know some of you big dawg's claim to keep to keep the arrow in your heads, but my brain tends to loose track after the 7th or 8th held ball in a girls game.

How many others of you use this or another system to keep track of the arrow? Do you think its not professional?
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Book keepers and scorers

Why not let the table do their job? I don't keep it. It's the tables job, the book keepers and rarely do they get it wrong in my experiences. I do keep track that the arrow has been turned properly.

But do do mostly high school ball, I will do my first middle school game, of this year, next week.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stewcall
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjo
I have in recent years always switched the spare whistle in my pocket to keep track of the posession arrow. In some of the camps I have attended, this practice was looked down on as something only a rookie would do. I thanked the advisors for the advice, and have continued to do it. I do try to change it without drawing attention to what I am doing. Other than a little extra wear on my pants pockets, it has worked well for me.

I know some of you big dawg's claim to keep to keep the arrow in your heads, but my brain tends to loose track after the 7th or 8th held ball in a girls game.

How many others of you use this or another system to keep track of the arrow? Do you think its not professional?
Rec Leagues and Middle school- be prepared to keep track of the arrow.
Penny, Whistle or whatever.... otherwise leave it to the table-- make sure it is pointed correctly after the initial tap and the beginning of each quarter
Stew in VA
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

For some reason this is a pet peeve of mine. I will never claim to big a "big dawg" but when I see someone digging in their pocket every a/p situation it drives me nuts. I don't remember it in my head either unless we had one in the last couple of minutes. The table has 2 people that should be keeping track of this.

I just make sure that it is switched after the proper team inbounds the ball.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 10:55am
Huck Finn

I think keeping track of the arrow comes with experience and if you want to do it. Work on it just like anything else and it will come. IMO, this sort of goes hand in hand with play recall. The ability to recall plays will help a great deal and when you can recall plays you can recall jump ball situations and know who should get the ball.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 11:10am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
I think keeping track of the arrow comes with experience and if you want to do it. Work on it just like anything else and it will come. IMO, this sort of goes hand in hand with play recall. The ability to recall plays will help a great deal and when you can recall plays you can recall jump ball situations and know who should get the ball.
I agree. I used to do the spare whistle thing but I would end up forgetting to switch my whistle and it became cumbersome. Now I just keep track in my head as best as possible and if a situation comes up I'm usually able to think back and recall the last AP situation.

Biggest thing though is the ability to recall certain plays when the need arises.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan
Why not let the table do their job? I don't keep it. It's the tables job, the book keepers and rarely do they get it wrong in my experiences. I do keep track that the arrow has been turned properly.

But do do mostly high school ball, I will do my first middle school game, of this year, next week.
Part of my job is to be sure the table is doing their job correctly. I watch the clock to see if it starts and stops properly, I check the book and make sure the home and visitors agree on score,time-outs, and individual fouls, and I keep check on the posession arrow because I know they don't always do their job.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 12:01pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:

I use this exact mechanic. It is now worked into my game and it works very well. I switch it before the throw-in at quarter time, and after the ball is inbounded other times.

I'm not looking to "climb the ranks" the way that other people are. I don't care to do conference-panel assignments such as D1-D3. If it's necessary to work into your game the arrow 100% of the time, get practising!

Since I'm happy doing the games I do, its look of professionalism doesn't matter to me.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Someone posted a good suggestion a while back to keep track of next possession. When you're doing any counting, instead of saying "One Missisippi, Two Mississippi", say, "One Red Possession, Two Red Possession", or something along those lines.

As someone who has worked the table frequently, if you're relying on them, you are an optimist. They may forget to change the indicator after the start of a period, and are often unclear on which direction to point the arrow after a violation during the initial jump ball. If you are going to rely on the table, I strongly advise you to have someone on the crew make sure they change the indicator appropriately.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

While I agree that it is the table's responsibility to keep the arrow, I have also been keeping it myself without the aid of a "physical" crutch. At the beginning of last season I was talking about this with a veteran and mentioned I was having trouble. He said something that caused a "Duh" moment. It went something like..."Dude, as an official you count a lot during the game. If red controls the tip, then when you count say 1 white ball...2 white ball...etc. When the arrow changes, change colors in your counts." I incorportated that into my game that night and have only had the arrow wrong once since then without looking at the table. When I started doing this, I would sneak a peak at the table during a dead ball to make sure I had it right.

FYI...during that time the arrow on the table agreed with my tracking on all but one occassion...and that was when my partner caught my error.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Jim types faster than me...
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun

GOOD ADVICE -
Its getting easier every season, but its not there 100% yet and I'm not getting any younger.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
I agree. I used to do the spare whistle thing but I would end up forgetting to switch my whistle and it became cumbersome. Now I just keep track in my head as best as possible and if a situation comes up I'm usually able to think back and recall the last AP situation.

Biggest thing though is the ability to recall certain plays when the need arises.
I keep possession in my head also.
I was working a county tournament game about two years ago and an observer saw me using a rubber ban. He told I should work on keeping possession in my head.
After that I never used a rubber ban or any thing else again.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

I try to keep it in my head as much as possible but I use the button on my back left pocket as a backup. If the button is unbuttoned, the ball goes to the left of the table. If the button is buttoned, the ball goes to the right of the table.
Sure, it's a physical way to keep track but I feel it's a lot less obvious than switching something between your pockets.
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 04:09pm
In Memoriam

I shift Wilbur from side to side in my pants to keep track of the arrow.

Works for me.